Old 09-07-2010, 11:58 PM
NoOp

Default Changing main username/home/groups

I have a lucid test partion on my laptop that I was using to test sound
patches. Today I decided to do a network upgrade to maverick so that I
can test the patches with that version.

The machine name was 'lucidtest-laptop' and username/group was
'lucidtest'. To make things easier I decided to change to
'mavericktest-laptop' and 'mavericktest' respectively. So I go hunting
around to find an easy way to change the names and group and end up
booting to Recovery mode & use root to:

# usermod -l mavericktest -m -d /home/mavericktest lucidtest
# groupmod -n lucidtest mavericktest
# nano /etc/hosts
(modify the host to reflect 'mavericktest-laptop')
# nano /etc/hostname
(ditto)

So far so good. However when I logout & log back in GDM is still showing
'lucidtest' in the user box, but also shows 'mavericktest' in the black
floating username box. I login & find that my home folder is
appropriately renamed to 'mavericktest' and ownership (owner and group)
is proper. However, the owner is showing 'mavericktest-lucidtest'. I
also verify that my terminal prompt shows:

$ mavericktest@mavericktest-laptop

and then check System|Administration|Users and Groups and find that the
user is showing lucidtest & mavericktest (the latter in faint grey below
lucidtest). Now, I can't change that while logged in, so I try from
Recovery|Root and still can't manage to get it right. I finally end up
enabling Root, login to that and changing the username in
'System|Administration|Users and Groups', logout of Root, log in to
mavericktest (it's showing correctly at the GDM login screen now), and
kill the Root account. It's now installing the maverick dist upgrade.

So here is my question; how should/could I have done all of this
easily/properly & particularly what did I miss for the GDM login name issue?

Old 09-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Tom H

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 7:58 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I have a lucid test partion on my laptop that I was using to test sound
> patches. Today I decided to do a network upgrade to maverick so that I
> can test the patches with that version.
>
> The machine name was 'lucidtest-laptop' and username/group was
> 'lucidtest'. To make things easier I decided to change to
> 'mavericktest-laptop' and 'mavericktest' respectively. *So I go hunting
> around to find an easy way to change the names and group and end up
> booting to Recovery mode & use root to:
>
> # usermod -l mavericktest -m -d /home/mavericktest lucidtest
> # groupmod -n lucidtest mavericktest
> # nano /etc/hosts
> (modify the host to reflect 'mavericktest-laptop')
> # nano /etc/hostname
> (ditto)
>
> So far so good. However when I logout & log back in GDM is still showing
> 'lucidtest' in the user box, but also shows 'mavericktest' in the black
> floating username box. I login & find that my home folder is
> appropriately renamed to 'mavericktest' and ownership (owner and group)
> is proper. However, the owner is showing 'mavericktest-lucidtest'. I
> also verify that my terminal prompt shows:
>
> $ mavericktest@mavericktest-laptop
>
> and then check System|Administration|Users and Groups and find that the
> user is showing lucidtest & mavericktest (the latter in faint grey below
> lucidtest). Now, I can't change that while logged in, so I try from
> Recovery|Root and still can't manage to get it right. I finally end up
> enabling Root, login to that and changing the username in
> 'System|Administration|Users and Groups', logout of Root, log in to
> mavericktest (it's showing correctly at the GDM login screen now), and
> kill the Root account. It's now installing the maverick dist upgrade.
>
> So here is my question; how should/could I have done all of this
> easily/properly & particularly what did I miss for the GDM login name issue?

A WAG: without root enabled, sulogin must be use sudo behind the
scenes, so I don't think that there is an alternative to enabling
root.

An alternative would have been to create mavericktest and delete lucidtest.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:40 PM
NoOp

On 09/08/2010 01:05 PM, Tom H wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 7:58 PM, NoOp <> wrote:
>> So here is my question; how should/could I have done all of this
>> easily/properly & particularly what did I miss for the GDM login name issue?
>
> A WAG: without root enabled, sulogin must be use sudo behind the
> scenes, so I don't think that there is an alternative to enabling
> root.

I think you're right. I'll dig into it later when I have time & see if I
can figure it out.

> An alternative would have been to create mavericktest and delete lucidtest.

Yeah, but then I wouldn't have learned something :-) Besides, when doing
that I end up with issues when I forget to set the new one to User ID 1000.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:18 AM
Tom H

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 6:40 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 09/08/2010 01:05 PM, Tom H wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 7:58 PM, NoOp <> wrote:
>>> So here is my question; how should/could I have done all of this
>>> easily/properly & particularly what did I miss for the GDM login name issue?
>>
>> A WAG: without root enabled, sulogin must be use sudo behind the
>> scenes, so I don't think that there is an alternative to enabling
>> root.
>
> I think you're right. I'll dig into it later when I have time & see if I
> can figure it out.

Good luck...

It doesn't really explain it but there is a patch that Ubuntu applies
to sulogin after retrieving it from Debian: Disable "root account is
locked" warning, since this is the default in Ubuntu. Document this in
sulogin.8.

From "man sulogin": If the root account is locked, as is the default
on Ubuntu, no password prompt is displayed and sulogin behaves as if
the correct password were entered.

The patch is here
http://paste.ubuntu.com/490636/
but my paste's formatting has gone wild... Sorry.

>> An alternative would have been to create mavericktest and delete lucidtest.
>
> Yeah, but then I wouldn't have learned something :-)

> Besides, when doing that I end up with issues when I forget to set the new
> one to User ID 1000.

Of course, you can copy over some settings pre-delete (although that
might taint your profile and your testing) and change the uid to 1000
post-delete - and even script the whole thing...

Old 09-09-2010, 06:57 AM
Colin Law

On 8 September 2010 00:58, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I have a lucid test partion on my laptop that I was using to test sound
> patches. Today I decided to do a network upgrade to maverick so that I
> can test the patches with that version.
>
> The machine name was 'lucidtest-laptop' and username/group was
> 'lucidtest'. To make things easier I decided to change to
> 'mavericktest-laptop' and 'mavericktest' respectively. *So I go hunting
> around to find an easy way to change the names and group and end up
> booting to Recovery mode & use root to:
>
> # usermod -l mavericktest -m -d /home/mavericktest lucidtest
> # groupmod -n lucidtest mavericktest
> # nano /etc/hosts
> (modify the host to reflect 'mavericktest-laptop')
> # nano /etc/hostname
> (ditto)
>
> So far so good. However when I logout & log back in GDM is still showing
> 'lucidtest' in the user box, but also shows 'mavericktest' in the black
> floating username box. I login & find that my home folder is
> appropriately renamed to 'mavericktest' and ownership (owner and group)
> is proper. However, the owner is showing 'mavericktest-lucidtest'. I
> also verify that my terminal prompt shows:
>
> $ mavericktest@mavericktest-laptop
>
> and then check System|Administration|Users and Groups and find that the
> user is showing lucidtest & mavericktest (the latter in faint grey below
> lucidtest). Now, I can't change that while logged in, so I try from
> Recovery|Root and still can't manage to get it right. I finally end up
> enabling Root, login to that and changing the username in
> 'System|Administration|Users and Groups', logout of Root, log in to
> mavericktest (it's showing correctly at the GDM login screen now), and
> kill the Root account. It's now installing the maverick dist upgrade.
>
> So here is my question; how should/could I have done all of this
> easily/properly & particularly what did I miss for the GDM login name issue?

I don't know why you have had the problems you describe, but I have
changed my username and home folder (in Karmic) using usermod as you
have described without seeing the phantom residual presence of the
original user name. Rather than do it as root I achieved it by
creating a new temporary user first then used it (using sudo usermod)
to rename the original user. I have not installed Maverick anywhere
yet so cannot confirm whether this is a Maverick issue.

Colin

Old 09-09-2010, 06:21 PM
NoOp

On 09/08/2010 11:57 PM, Colin Law wrote:
> I don't know why you have had the problems you describe, but I have
> changed my username and home folder (in Karmic) using usermod as you
> have described without seeing the phantom residual presence of the
> original user name. Rather than do it as root I achieved it by
> creating a new temporary user first then used it (using sudo usermod)
> to rename the original user. I have not installed Maverick anywhere
> yet so cannot confirm whether this is a Maverick issue.

Not a Maverick issue as I hadn't upgraded to Maverick at the time. I was
basically changing the username/home/etc in preparation for the upgrade
to maverick.