Old 11-19-2007, 06:47 AM
2g

Default xfterm4 (was apps without frames)

so installed xfce4-utils to get the xfterm4
got it done with synaptic
and in the xterm did xfterm4
but results into

exec: 37: exo-open: not found

anything else to install?

am on fluxbox added onto ubuntu7.10

tia

--
2g
http://micro.ispretty.com

Old 11-19-2007, 08:33 AM
Peter Garrett

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 16:47:03 +0900
2g <electriclightheads@gmail.com> wrote:

> so installed xfce4-utils to get the xfterm4
> got it done with synaptic
> and in the xterm did xfterm4
> but results into
>
> exec: 37: exo-open: not found
>

> anything else to install?
>
> am on fluxbox added onto ubuntu7.10

$ dlocate exo-open
xfce4-terminal: /usr/share/Terminal/apps/exo-open-browser.desktop
xfce4-terminal: /usr/share/Terminal/apps/exo-open-mailer.desktop
libexo-0.3-0: /usr/share/man/man1/exo-open.1.gz
libexo-0.3-0: /usr/bin/exo-open

Do you have libexo-0.3-0 installed? "exo-open" appears to be the xfce4
version of "gnome-open" - for example,

exo-open http://google.com

opens the URL in your browser.

I can't see why a terminal app should complain about it not being there
... but perhaps xfterm4 requires its library?

Peter
--
"INX Is Not X" based on Ubuntu 7.04 Live CD: http://inx.maincontent.net

Old 11-19-2007, 12:59 PM
2g

no i didn't have it
so installed
but this time nothing happens if i do
xfterm4
in xterm
but ps tells me
that numbers of exo-helper get increased everytime i try to launch xfterm4

btw

are you using xfterm4
to make the terminal mixed into the wallpaper?

Old 11-19-2007, 01:36 PM
Peter Garrett

On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 10:59:28PM +0900, 2g wrote:
> no i didn't have it
> so installed
> but this time nothing happens if i do
> xfterm4
> in xterm

I know it doesn't help, but it Works For Me (tm)
On the other hand, the machine I tried it on also has xubuntu-desktop installed ( and
fluxbox, and KDE, and GNOME .... :-) This is my toy machine ( iBook G4 running 7.04/Feisty)

> but ps tells me
> that numbers of exo-helper get increased everytime i try to launch xfterm4
>
> btw
>
> are you using xfterm4
> to make the terminal mixed into the wallpaper?

No, I mainly use urxvt from the rxvt-unicode package, with appropriate options to give
transparency, and Super+t configured to toggle borders in ~/.fluxbox/keys

By the way, do try not to top post :-)

Peter

Old 11-19-2007, 11:19 PM
2g

On Nov 19, 2007 11:36 PM, Peter Garrett <peter.garrett@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> By the way, do try not to top post :-)

ah excuse me about that
i have to find a good solution
am usualy doing mail on browsers on several machinesn at several locations
but sometimes pop it to mutt@OSX and read(& cat >> xxx.txt) them offline
and clean my room @ gmail
maybe using "archive" of gmail sould work
if i have some mails that i should reply(handle always online) later
which souldn't get downloaded to local?
yeah this is troublemaking
cuz now with this thread .. iwanna ask about something more than xfterm4 :-(

> No, I mainly use urxvt from the rxvt-unicode package, with appropriate options to give
> transparency, and Super+t configured to toggle borders in ~/.fluxbox/keys

mmmm then i must check out urxvt!
thanx to your
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2007-November/129313.html
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2007-November/129314.html
my fluxbox become somewhat like this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pantaloon_thangs/2047585591/

some things are still in my mind

1) Xterm is okay if i could make the charactors all bright-yellow
whatever meaning they have
2) it would be lovely if launching an app makes it borderless as
default and have them return only when i have to super-t to see them
3) on fluxbox i'd go 1 workspace per 1 app so Xterm at startup should
be for all workspace
4) now's the time to clean up my right click menu ... i'd rather lauch
everything from the terminal ... maybe aliases@.bash_profile shuld do
this for me .. and then right click would only be for launching a
terminal when i happened to ctl-d it?

still a lot to learn
any suggestion is welcome ... plz

and Jeffrey's
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2007-November/129714.html
made my gnome like this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pantaloon_thangs/2046303485
i think my gnome environment is almost ready to go do the real dsp-coding things
i still didn't test if this gnome-terminal tric with devilspie works for fluxbox

btw

> This is my toy machine ( iBook G4 running 7.04/Feisty)

wow am on that too!
but i only have Slackintosh for linux on it
cuz i couldn't make jackd work properly with alsa
(had to do -doss)
so i made up my to go only with alsa
i wonder how you made that snapper work fine for you

--
2g
http://micro.ispretty.com