Old 09-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Wade Smart

Default TB3 not filtering

I just moved to 10.04 and Im having serious trouble with Thunderbird 3.

For some reason its classifing all email as Spam.

So Im creating my rules to filter by and it works 1 time.
I noticed you cant use the Create Filter from Message as it doesnt
create a filter. So I do it manually - and it will run that one time. It
wont run again.

On this list I have:
Checking Mail or Manually Run
To or CC contains ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

So I have been creating about 45 filters now and they arent running.

Wade
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

Old 09-07-2010, 11:46 PM
Basil Chupin

On 08/09/2010 00:26, Wade Smart wrote:
> I just moved to 10.04 and Im having serious trouble with Thunderbird 3.
>
> For some reason its classifing all email as Spam.
>
> So Im creating my rules to filter by and it works 1 time.
> I noticed you cant use the Create Filter from Message as it doesnt
> create a filter. So I do it manually - and it will run that one time. It
> wont run again.
>
> On this list I have:
> Checking Mail or Manually Run
> To or CC contains ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
>
> So I have been creating about 45 filters now and they arent running.
>
> Wade

Out of curiosity, did you put in all the necessary parameters in the
Message Filter? For example, did you fill in the very last part where
"it" wants to know where to place the filtered message? - you don't have
them all going to JUNK (ie spam)?

Just for completeness, I've been using TB since it was knee high to a
grasshopper and the filtering system has never failed me.

BC

--
...more people are driven insane through religious hysteria than by drinking alcohol.
W C Fields

Old 09-10-2010, 10:07 PM
Wade Smart

On 09/07/2010 06:46 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 08/09/2010 00:26, Wade Smart wrote:
>> I just moved to 10.04 and Im having serious trouble with Thunderbird 3.
>>
>> For some reason its classifing all email as Spam.
>>
>> So Im creating my rules to filter by and it works 1 time.
>> I noticed you cant use the Create Filter from Message as it doesnt
>> create a filter. So I do it manually - and it will run that one time. It
>> wont run again.
>>
>> On this list I have:
>> Checking Mail or Manually Run
>> To or CC contains ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
>>
>> So I have been creating about 45 filters now and they arent running.
>>
>> Wade
>>
> Out of curiosity, did you put in all the necessary parameters in the
> Message Filter? For example, did you fill in the very last part where
> "it" wants to know where to place the filtered message? - you don't have
> them all going to JUNK (ie spam)?
>
> Just for completeness, I've been using TB since it was knee high to a
> grasshopper and the filtering system has never failed me.
>
> BC

I did. After a bunch of reading I think it has to do with
filters for multiple accounts. On tb2, a filter would handle any
email from any account in inbox but on tb3 its by account.

My filters have never failed me either - I just dont understand
this new setup

Thanks BC

Old 09-11-2010, 02:18 AM
Basil Chupin

On 11/09/2010 08:07, Wade Smart wrote:
> On 09/07/2010 06:46 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> On 08/09/2010 00:26, Wade Smart wrote:
>>
>>> I just moved to 10.04 and Im having serious trouble with Thunderbird 3.
>>>
>>> For some reason its classifing all email as Spam.
>>>
>>> So Im creating my rules to filter by and it works 1 time.
>>> I noticed you cant use the Create Filter from Message as it doesnt
>>> create a filter. So I do it manually - and it will run that one time. It
>>> wont run again.
>>>
>>> On this list I have:
>>> Checking Mail or Manually Run
>>> To or CC contains ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
>>>
>>> So I have been creating about 45 filters now and they arent running.
>>>
>>> Wade
>>>

>> Out of curiosity, did you put in all the necessary parameters in the
>> Message Filter? For example, did you fill in the very last part where
>> "it" wants to know where to place the filtered message? - you don't have
>> them all going to JUNK (ie spam)?
>>
>> Just for completeness, I've been using TB since it was knee high to a
>> grasshopper and the filtering system has never failed me.
>>
>> BC
>>

> I did. After a bunch of reading I think it has to do with
> filters for multiple accounts. On tb2, a filter would handle any
> email from any account in inbox but on tb3 its by account.

Mmmm, the only time I had two accounts was when I was switching from one
ISP to another - and this hassle did not bother me.

But I see what you mean: the filter does work on Account (the choice now
is <some-ISP-account> or Local Folders or Newsgroups).

Which leads me to suggest - although, of course, I have not tried this:
the only ID for an Account is the Name of Account under Account View
Settings, so....why not give the other(s) the same *name* but,
naturally, leave the Server details alone? In theory, then, all mail
will go into the same inbox and then you use your filters to distribute
it among the folders you create.

Backup your /.thunderbird directory and try this - BUT before any of
this, for each Account set in the Server settings for your mail(s) not
to be deleted after pickup so that if things don't work out you can
still pickup your mail using the original, now backed up, /.thunderbird.

If you do try it, let us all know how this works out.

BC

Old 09-12-2010, 02:35 AM
Basil Chupin

On 11/09/2010 12:18, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 11/09/2010 08:07, Wade Smart wrote:

>>> Out of curiosity, did you put in all the necessary parameters in the
>>> Message Filter? For example, did you fill in the very last part where
>>> "it" wants to know where to place the filtered message? - you don't have
>>> them all going to JUNK (ie spam)?
>>>
>>> Just for completeness, I've been using TB since it was knee high to a
>>> grasshopper and the filtering system has never failed me.
>>>
>>> BC
>>>

>> I did. After a bunch of reading I think it has to do with
>> filters for multiple accounts. On tb2, a filter would handle any
>> email from any account in inbox but on tb3 its by account.
>>

> Mmmm, the only time I had two accounts was when I was switching from one
> ISP to another - and this hassle did not bother me.
>
> But I see what you mean: the filter does work on Account (the choice now
> is<some-ISP-account> or Local Folders or Newsgroups).
>
> Which leads me to suggest - although, of course, I have not tried this:
> the only ID for an Account is the Name of Account under Account View
> Settings, so....why not give the other(s) the same *name* but,
> naturally, leave the Server details alone? In theory, then, all mail
> will go into the same inbox and then you use your filters to distribute
> it among the folders you create.
>
> Backup your /.thunderbird directory and try this - BUT before any of
> this, for each Account set in the Server settings for your mail(s) not
> to be deleted after pickup so that if things don't work out you can
> still pickup your mail using the original, now backed up, /.thunderbird.
>
> If you do try it, let us all know how this works out.
>
> BC

I forgot to mention that there possibly is another way to get to where
you want to go.

Have a look in Account Settings>Server Settings>Advanced where there is
the choice to put all your incoming mail into the one basket (Local).

BC