Old 09-07-2010, 07:52 AM
Vic Main

Default Help with resolution settings

Hi...

I need some help with the resolution settings and how to change them. I
have a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440 with AGP8X card, when I downloaded
the suggested driver and activated it,

*I could change the shadow on the mouse pointer, but my choices for
resolution were 320x240 and 640x480. Not very useful!!!

The generic Ubuntu driver gives me a choice of 640x480, 800x600, and
1024,x768. I would like to have a resolution of 1280x1024 if possible.

That's the resolution I'm running on the same monitor with
windows.

The monitor is a Daytek LCD 19", but haven't got the model, have to
dig around for that.

Any answers most appreciated

Vic

Old 09-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Liam Proven

On 7 September 2010 08:52, Vic Main <vmain@shaw.ca> wrote:
> Hi...
>
> I need some help with the resolution settings and how to change them. I have
> a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440 with AGP8X card, when I downloaded the suggested
> driver and activated it,
> *I could change the shadow on the mouse pointer, but my choices for
> resolution were 320x240 and 640x480. Not very useful!!!
>
> The generic Ubuntu driver gives me a choice of 640x480, 800x600, and
> 1024,x768. I would like to have a resolution of 1280x1024 if possible.
>
> That's the resolution I'm running on the same monitor with windows.
>
> The monitor is a Daytek LCD 19", but haven't got the model, have to dig
> around for that.
>
> Any answers most appreciated
>
> Vic

What *exact* version of the nVidia driver did you install? Are you
actually running it?

Old 09-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Karl Larsen

I need some help with the resolution settings and how to change them. I
have a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440 with AGP8X card, when I
downloaded
the suggested driver and activated it,

*I could change the shadow on the mouse pointer, but my choices for
resolution were 320x240 and 640x480. Not very useful!!!

The generic Ubuntu driver gives me a choice of 640x480, 800x600, and
1024,x768. I would like to have a resolution of 1280x1024 if possible.

That's the resolution I'm running on the same monitor with
windows.

The monitor is a Daytek LCD 19", but haven't got the model, have to
dig around for that.

Any answers most appreciated

Vic

*** Hi Vic, you need to learn which Ubuntu version your using. I assume
it is 10.04 but you don't say.

Since you know the video card, you should be able to find the exact
driver software for your system. Try going to the NVIDIA web page and
look for the driver for a MX440 card.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 09-07-2010, 01:18 PM
"Johnny Rosenberg"

Den 2010-09-07 14:41:39 skrev Karl Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com>:

> On 09/07/2010 01:52 AM, Vic Main wrote:
>> Hi...
>>
>> I need some help with the resolution settings and how to change them.
>> I have a *NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440 with AGP8X card, *when I downloaded
>> the suggested driver and activated it,
>> I could change the shadow on the mouse pointer, but my choices for
>> resolution were 320x240 and 640x480. Not very useful!!!
>>
>> The generic Ubuntu driver gives me a choice of 640x480, 800x600, and
>> 1024,x768. I would like to have a resolution of 1280x1024 if possible.
>>
>> That's the resolution I'm running on the same monitor with windows.
>>
>> The monitor is a Daytek LCD 19", but haven't got the model, have to
>> dig around for that.
>>
>> Any answers most appreciated
>>
>> *Vic
>> *
>
> Hi Vic, you need to learn which Ubuntu version your using. I assume
> it is 10.04 but you don't say.
>
> Since you know the video card, you should be able to find the exact
> driver software for your system. Try going to the NVIDIA web page and
> look for the driver for a MX440 card.
>

> 73 Karl

Didn't he just say that he did that?

--
Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

Old 09-07-2010, 03:18 PM
Florian Diesch

Vic Main <vmain@shaw.ca> writes:

> I need some help with the resolution settings and how to change
> them. I have a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440 with AGP8X card, when I
> downloaded the suggested driver and activated it,
> I could change the shadow on the mouse pointer, but my choices for
> resolution were 320x240 and 640x480. Not very useful!!!
>
> The generic Ubuntu driver gives me a choice of 640x480, 800x600, and
> 1024,x768. I would like to have a resolution of 1280x1024 if possible.

Have a look at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting/Resolution and
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/doc/emacs/>

Old 09-07-2010, 11:28 PM
James Takac

Hi Johnny

On Tuesday 07 September 2010 23:18:21 Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> Den 2010-09-07 14:41:39 skrev Karl Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com>:
> > On 09/07/2010 01:52 AM, Vic Main wrote:
> >> Hi...
> >>
> >> I need some help with the resolution settings and how to change them.
> >> I have a *NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440 with AGP8X card, *when I downloaded
> >> the suggested driver and activated it,
> >> I could change the shadow on the mouse pointer, but my choices for
> >> resolution were 320x240 and 640x480. Not very useful!!!
> >>
> >> The generic Ubuntu driver gives me a choice of 640x480, 800x600, and
> >> 1024,x768. I would like to have a resolution of 1280x1024 if possible.
> >>
> >> That's the resolution I'm running on the same monitor with windows.
> >>
> >> The monitor is a Daytek LCD 19", but haven't got the model, have to
> >> dig around for that.
> >>
> >> Any answers most appreciated
> >>
> >> *Vic
> >> *
> >
> > Hi Vic, you need to learn which Ubuntu version your using. I assume
> > it is 10.04 but you don't say.
> >
> > Since you know the video card, you should be able to find the exact
> > driver software for your system. Try going to the NVIDIA web page and
> > look for the driver for a MX440 card.
> >

> > 73 Karl
>
> Didn't he just say that he did that?
>
> --
> Kind regards
>
> Johnny Rosenberg

I believe he did. The notebook I'm on at the moment has the same card and is
running 8.04 with suggested driver. 3D does not work on this system sadly but
I could get to 2D acceleration to work by editing the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file
and changing the driver line to reflect 'nv'

James

Old 09-07-2010, 11:52 PM
Basil Chupin

On 08/09/2010 09:28, James Takac wrote:
> Hi Johnny
>
> On Tuesday 07 September 2010 23:18:21 Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

>>> Hi Vic, you need to learn which Ubuntu version your using. I assume
>>> it is 10.04 but you don't say.
>>>
>>> Since you know the video card, you should be able to find the exact
>>> driver software for your system. Try going to the NVIDIA web page and
>>> look for the driver for a MX440 card.
>>>

>>> 73 Karl
>>>
>> Didn't he just say that he did that?
>>
>> --
>> Kind regards
>>
>> Johnny Rosenberg
>>

> I believe he did. The notebook I'm on at the moment has the same card and is
> running 8.04 with suggested driver.

What is this "suggested driver"? Perhaps this is where the problem may
lie - how about mentioning the driver number, what do you think?

BC

--
...more people are driven insane through religious hysteria than by drinking alcohol.
W C Fields

Old 09-07-2010, 11:54 PM
Michael Haney

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 9:18 AM, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:
> Didn't he just say that he did that?

Yes he did, but the Trolls can only see what they want to see.

Moving on....

I have the SAME issue with Ubuntu 10.04 and my Nvidia Geforce FX 5600
card. To resolve it I have to edit my xorg.conf file using text taken
from an xorg.conf file of an earlier version of Ubuntu which still had
the tabs in the Screen Resolution window that let you MANUALLY select
your monitor driver. Every time I boot I have to launch the Nvidia
Configurator to set my screen resolution correctly or my desktop is
larger than my screen and I'd have to pan around with the mouse. Its
a minor annoyance since I rarely reboot my Ubuntu system unless an
update requires it or the Flintstone era electrical grid around here
goes out when the weather it time to rain.

Frankly, removing that feature has caused a lot of problems for a lot
of users. Do a Google Search on resolution problems for Ubuntu 10.04
and you'll see what I mean. There are A LOT of other people with the
exact same problem. I've issued a bug report about it and also posted
in the Ubuntu QA list, but it appears that nobody is listening. Its
pretty disappointing, everything else is just perfect except for this
one problem which could have been avoided by simply not taking the
feature out in the first place.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
"The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking

Visit My Site:* http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1
To Contact Me:
http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1/zorch-central---contacts

Old 09-08-2010, 02:49 AM
James Takac

Hi Basil

On Wednesday 08 September 2010 09:52:06 Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 08/09/2010 09:28, James Takac wrote:
> > Hi Johnny

> >> Didn't he just say that he did that?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Kind regards
> >>
> >> Johnny Rosenberg
> >
> > I believe he did. The notebook I'm on at the moment has the same card and
> > is running 8.04 with suggested driver.
>
> What is this "suggested driver"? Perhaps this is where the problem may
> lie - how about mentioning the driver number, what do you think?
>
> BC
>
> --
> ...more people are driven insane through religious hysteria than by
> drinking alcohol. W C Fields

It's been quite a while since I installed the driver and remember going to the
nvidia website searching for it, downloading and installing it. Seems however
my system has for some reason reverted to the nvidia glx driver? Considering
that I didn't change it to that I find that interesting. In synaptic I can
see a glx legacy So I'm going to have to look at that again. Back then I
matched the recommended driver from the site and installed. Got the black
screen on boot and had to edit for only the 2d side of the driver. Somewhere
over the week I'll go thru and see if an updated driver exists or maybe now
the glx legacy driver maybe works

James

Old 09-08-2010, 03:19 AM
Vic Main

At 07:49 PM 09/07/10, you wrote:
>Hi Basil
>
>On Wednesday 08 September 2010 09:52:06 Basil Chupin wrote:
> > On 08/09/2010 09:28, James Takac wrote:
> > > Hi Johnny

> > > I believe he did. The notebook I'm on at the moment has the same card and
> > > is running 8.04 with suggested driver.
> >
> > What is this "suggested driver"? Perhaps this is where the problem may
> > lie - how about mentioning the driver number, what do you think?
> >
> > BC
> >
> > --
> > ...more people are driven insane through religious hysteria than by
> > drinking alcohol. W C Fields
>

>It's been quite a while since I installed the driver and remember
>going to the
>nvidia website searching for it, downloading and installing it. Seems however
>my system has for some reason reverted to the nvidia glx driver? Considering
>that I didn't change it to that I find that interesting. In synaptic I can
>see a glx legacy So I'm going to have to look at that again. Back then I
>matched the recommended driver from the site and installed. Got the black
>screen on boot and had to edit for only the 2d side of the driver. Somewhere
>over the week I'll go thru and see if an updated driver exists or maybe now
>the glx legacy driver maybe works
>
>James
>
>--
I'm now using 10.04. this monitor resolution thing has been the
main stumbling block in using Ubuntu more.
With the version I just tried to update and trashed, the generic
driver gave me a maximum of 600x800.
The generic driver in 10.04 now gives me 1024x768, a huge step up.
The NVIDIA driver "recommended" that I tried is called
"NVIDIA ACCELERATED GRAPHICS DRIVER (VERSION 96)" I can tweak all
sorts of settings, but the video resolution
choice that driver gives me is 320x240, or 640x480. I'm going to go
and delve into the drivers available again

As an explanation of what I have re: the question I asked about
partitioning recomendations.
An HP Pavillion with an AMD Athalon processor and 512MB memory 2 ide
drives (1-150GB, the other 160GB)
I've partitioned the 160 so that Ubuntu is running off of it, 1
500GB SATA and 1 750GB SATA in a Thermltake USB dual SATA drive interface.
I also have a HP MediaSmart server running Windows Home server with 2
TB in it. It backs up laptops and the main drive on the Pavillion
with ntfs partitions on them.

Thanks again to all for the suggestions and help!!

Vic