Old 09-07-2010, 06:27 AM
user1

Default How to use other voip sip softphones than skype in linux

I am skyping with a friend who has windows xp and I am using lucid.

The video and sound is often broken so the conversation is often
difficult to follow.

Then I tried aMSN and it tells that it will not do video.

Then I tried linphone and the sound did not work.

Then I tried Ekiga and could not make it work.

Then I tried Kphone and that I could not make to work.

So now I am back to skype.

Any good experience of using another softphone which is as easy to setup
as skype and which works well?

It has to be easy to setup so even newbies can use it :-)

Old 09-07-2010, 07:17 AM
Mouse Rusty

I have problems between two clients(one is windows, the other is
ubuntu) behind a home router. ekiga and linphone both can be called in
the direction of ubuntu ---> windows, but not vice versa. (just a
reminder ekiga or linphone has the corresponding product on windows. )

Fortunately, eyebeam for windows is enough to cope with such
inter-operation problem. (even it does not always works for
interconnection)

you may want to give google talk in gmail a try.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:34 AM
Nils Kassube

user1 wrote:
> I am skyping with a friend who has windows xp and I am using lucid.
>
> The video and sound is often broken so the conversation is often
> difficult to follow.
>
> Then I tried aMSN and it tells that it will not do video.
>
> Then I tried linphone and the sound did not work.
>
> Then I tried Ekiga and could not make it work.
>
> Then I tried Kphone and that I could not make to work.

I'm using Ekiga to speak with a friend and our experience was that the
router was the main problem. First we used boxes which could also be
setup to connect to an analog telephone for SIP connections. While we
didn't use that option, the router blocked the standard SIP port (5060
UDP) anyway. Changing the ports on the Ekiga side and / or using port
forwarding rules helped partly and we could sometimes make a connection
but it wasn't really usable. Finally we used another router (WRT54GL) on
both sides which works fine for audio and video. We also tried with the
Windows version of Ekiga (on one side only) and it works as well.

Maybe your router has a similar problem as ours had? Or there could be
other problems related to NAT mentioned here [1], [2]. As you tried
various SIP programs and none worked, I would assume, that it is not
primarily a problem of those programs but more a problem of your
internet connection. As you probably know, Skype doesn't use the SIP
protocol and can therefore overcome the NAT and other problems.

Nils

[1] <http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Understanding_NAT/firewall_issues_with_SIP_clients_(eg_ekiga)>
[2] <http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Ekiga_behind_a_NAT_router>

Old 09-07-2010, 08:11 AM
Tony Pursell

On Tue, 2010-09-07 at 06:27 +0000, user1 wrote:
> I am skyping with a friend who has windows xp and I am using lucid.
>
> The video and sound is often broken so the conversation is often
> difficult to follow.

I've had that with Skype in the past, but its OK now.

> Then I tried aMSN and it tells that it will not do video.

Trouble is that Microsoft pulled the plug on the old server based
Messenger and left only the peer to peer Live service running. The
telepathy-butterfly people have been working hard and the news is that
they have got AV running again. It will be in 10.10. You don't need
aMSN because Empathy, Ubuntu's default IM client, will do it.

> Then I tried linphone and the sound did not work.
>
> Then I tried Ekiga and could not make it work.
>
> Then I tried Kphone and that I could not make to work.

I don't know much about these, although I did try Ekiga a long time ago
and did a test call.

> So now I am back to skype.

Me too for the moment. My brother and I meet up on MSN chat (he in
Windows Live Messenger and me in Empathy) then switch to Skype to see
and talk to each other.

> Any good experience of using another softphone which is as easy to setup
> as skype and which works well?

As someone else has said there is the Gmail (GTalk) option. There are
browser plugins for Linux (Firefox) and Windows (IE and Firefox). And
Emapthy also does GTalk. My experience, using the browser plugins, is
that it's poor (like your Skype), and there seems to be a problem if I
use Empathy and the other side is using the browser plugin.

There is also Jabber which supports AV and is supported in Empathy. My
own limited trials show this works well but I don't know much about
Windows clients for Jabber and if they support AV.

> It has to be easy to setup so even newbies can use it :-)

As you may guess, I am an AV chat fan and want to see Ubuntu come good
in this respect. Its been one of the things it has been lacking for the
ordinary user. I think Empathy is the way to go. It is an all-in-one
solution, so once you get familiar with it, you can easily set up all
sorts of IM services.

Tony

Old 09-07-2010, 02:39 PM
Earl Melton

From: user1 <bqz69@telia.com>

I am skyping with a friend who has windows xp and I am using lucid.

The video and sound is often broken so the conversation is often
difficult to follow.

Then I tried aMSN and it tells that it will not do video.

Then I tried linphone and the sound did not work.

Then I tried Ekiga and could not make it work.

Then I tried Kphone and that I could not make to work.

So now I am back to skype.

Any good experience of using another softphone which is as easy to setup
as skype and which works well?

It has to be easy to setup so even newbies can use it :-)

User1,

(Why are so many ashamed of their names in here?) Never mind, on to the subject
at hand...

I have not tried video with it, but Gmail's phone is not hard to set up and will
do both voice and video, or so I'm told. I can testify that the voice quality on
both ends rivals any landline I've ever used.

Unlike Skype (I don't know about the others you mention), it gives you free long
distance calling anywhere in the US and Canada and charges only pennies on the
dollar for international calls. No plastic needed for regular setup. Don't know
how -- or if -- it would work for our friends across the water, but probably
worth paying a visit to:
<http://mail.google.com>
and setting up a Gmail account if you don't already have one. I had already had
to obtain one for my new HTC EVO phone. Oh wait, that almost sounds like
bragging, doesn't it? :-)
--
Have a blessed day!
<>< Earl

Old 09-08-2010, 05:11 AM
Ric Moore

On Tue, 2010-09-07 at 06:27 +0000, user1 wrote:
> I am skyping with a friend who has windows xp and I am using lucid.
>
> The video and sound is often broken so the conversation is often
> difficult to follow.
>
> Then I tried aMSN and it tells that it will not do video.
>
> Then I tried linphone and the sound did not work.
>
> Then I tried Ekiga and could not make it work.
>
> Then I tried Kphone and that I could not make to work.
>
> So now I am back to skype.
>
> Any good experience of using another softphone which is as easy to setup
> as skype and which works well?
>
> It has to be easy to setup so even newbies can use it :-)

Have you tried the google service yet? Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 09-08-2010, 05:46 AM
Christopher Chan

On Tuesday, September 07, 2010 02:27 PM, user1 wrote:
> I am skyping with a friend who has windows xp and I am using lucid.

1) skype is not a sip softphone. It uses a proprietary protocol, not the
open standard sip protocol.

> The video and sound is often broken so the conversation is often
> difficult to follow.
>
> Then I tried aMSN and it tells that it will not do video.
>
> Then I tried linphone and the sound did not work.
>
> Then I tried Ekiga and could not make it work.
>
> Then I tried Kphone and that I could not make to work.
>
> So now I am back to skype.
>
> Any good experience of using another softphone which is as easy to setup
> as skype and which works well?

I am using Ekiga as a sip phone. But then I run my own sip service so I
guess that does not count.

> It has to be easy to setup so even newbies can use it :-)

Easy enough on the client side. Just look elsewhere if you both clients
to just setup an account and voila! Have you tried Ekiga accounts on
that score? I have my Ekiga interfaced with a Cisco Unified
Communications box (just a big name for an ip phone pbx) and my own sip
line via asterisk.