Old 09-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Frank

Default Unable to mount USB drives - Not authorized

Hi

I'm running 10.04. USB pen-drives and hard disk were accessible without
any problem.
I ran the recommended security updates + kernel updates that popped few
days ago. Now it wont mount any of my USB pen-drives or USB external
hard disks.
On Nautilus, when I connect the USB drive, a message pops up:
"Unable to mount [device name] - not authorized".

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Frank

Old 09-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Mahesha Hiremath

Hi Frank,***I had something similar with openSUSE. I couldn't mount any external devices or still worse I couldn't even access the home directory. I'm not sure why that happened. That problem was solved when one of my friend did complete update of all packages on my system.
*But I can feel the irony here, as your problem seems to have caused by updating. difference may be you've updated only some part.... May be someone has better idea,*Can you once try update manager, in the System>administration?

hope this helps..
Mahesha

P.S. when hard disk went inaccessible, i used one simple idea... I created a "Short cut" using launchers to the directories i used most frequently on the desktop... and also, i could access the drives in command prompt, so copied the files to directory for which i had created the "short cut".. *

Old 09-07-2010, 09:37 AM
Frank

Hi Mahesha

On Mon, 2010-09-06 at 17:50 +0530, Mahesha Hiremath wrote:

> hope this helps..

Thanks for the suggestion. Today the problem disappeared.
Apparently, the few starts & shutdown have fixed the problem, since I
did nothing else. :-)
I have no idea what was the problem (or the solution).

Frank