Old 09-06-2010, 11:34 AM
David Fletcher

Default XFCE install added to server

On the machine I used to fiddle around with Ubuntu Lucid Server, I have
installed xubuntu-desktop.

What I really want to try with this machine because it's so old and slow is
XFCE. I installed xfce4 and get an option to use it at the login prompt but
it gives me nothing but the wallpaper and a mouse cursor. Nothing to select
any applications or shut it down or log out. Is there something else I need
to install?

The xubuntu desktop selection works OK as does XFCS on a virtual machine I
installed from the normal Ubuntu installer. I just want to try to get it
working without going through the whole install process again.

Thanks

Dave

Old 09-06-2010, 11:38 PM
David Fletcher

On Mon, 2010-09-06 at 12:34 +0100, David Fletcher wrote:
> On the machine I used to fiddle around with Ubuntu Lucid Server, I have
> installed xubuntu-desktop.
>
> What I really want to try with this machine because it's so old and slow is
> XFCE. I installed xfce4 and get an option to use it at the login prompt but
> it gives me nothing but the wallpaper and a mouse cursor. Nothing to select
> any applications or shut it down or log out. Is there something else I need
> to install?
>
> The xubuntu desktop selection works OK as does XFCS on a virtual machine I
> installed from the normal Ubuntu installer. I just want to try to get it
> working without going through the whole install process again.
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave

Occasionally I realise that I probably said something silly in
public :-D

I think something must have got upset in the home directory because I
wiped everything and now I'm writing this using Evolution under the XFCE
option on an ancient Celeron machine I dug out from somewhere.

What I don't really understand is why there is an xubuntu and an xfce
login option both of which say they're xfce? But this is the first time
I've ventured here after years using KDE. I'm investigating on behalf of
a friend who says she's fed up with her computer when what she probably
means is she's fed up with the software that's installed on it.

Dave