Old 09-06-2010, 11:01 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default how trivially can i rip my CD collection to FLAC format?

at some point in the near future, i want to rip my entire CD
collection and stuff it onto a massive hard drive. i have no idea
how i'll want to access it after that so all i'm after is the simplest
solution to copy the entire collection in FLAC format onto that drive,
then sometime down the road, decide how i want to organize it and
possibly re-encode into a much smaller format like ogg vorbis.

obviously, ubuntu has a number of possible utilities to support that
but, given that i want nothing more than to just start copying, what's
the simplest solution? and, most importantly, i want to keep this
simple so that, depending on how i want to access or re-encode later,
i don't need to redo all that work.

does that make sense?

rday

p.s. i'm thinking that what i'll eventually do is hang that entire
collection off of my in-home router via the router's USB port, so that
i can access my collection from anywhere within router range.

http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 09-06-2010, 11:18 AM
James Bensley

Sound Juicer comes with Ubuntu and will rip CDs strait to FLAC, its
very easy to use and will look up artist/album/track names on
line...So its ticks the basic boxes of what you need...

There is an official page on it here;
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CDRipping

NOTE: I found though I didn't have it installed by default for some
reason but a simple 'apt-get install sound-juicer' sorted that out

James.

http://www.jamesbensley.co.cc/

There are 10 kinds of people in the world; Those who understand
Vigesimal, and J others...?

Old 09-06-2010, 01:55 PM
"Gurus Knugum"

Den 2010-09-06 13:18:20 skrev James Bensley <jwbensley@gmail.com>:

> Sound Juicer comes with Ubuntu and will rip CDs strait to FLAC, its
> very easy to use and will look up artist/album/track names on
> line...So its ticks the basic boxes of what you need...
>
> There is an official page on it here;
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CDRipping
>
> NOTE: I found though I didn't have it installed by default for some
> reason but a simple 'apt-get install sound-juicer' sorted that out

I also use Sound Juicer all the time to rip to FLAC. Click If you want to
add more tags, I would recommend EasyTag for that.

sudo apt-get install easytag

When you convert your FLACs later to Ogg your tags will remain in the
copies, at least when using Sound Converter. I think it's installed by
default. If not:

sudo apt-get install soundconverter

Works for me, at least.

Just make sure that tags are added at earliest possible stage and as
automatically as possible. Will save you quite some time in the future.

I don't know if CD Text are automatically converted to tags with Sound
Juicer, but I think so… Or maybe it always looks online.

--
Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

Old 09-08-2010, 12:16 AM
Andrew Farris

On Mon, 2010-09-06 at 15:55 +0200, Gurus Knugum wrote:
> Den 2010-09-06 13:18:20 skrev James Bensley <jwbensley@gmail.com>:
>
> > Sound Juicer comes with Ubuntu and will rip CDs strait to FLAC, its
> > very easy to use and will look up artist/album/track names on
> > line...So its ticks the basic boxes of what you need...
[snip]

> I also use Sound Juicer all the time to rip to FLAC. Click If you want to
> add more tags, I would recommend EasyTag for that.

I'll second the use of Sound Juicer for ripping music... I just recently
backed up my whole CD collection to a new harddrive, just as the OP is
planning, and I used Sound Juicer to do it (collection of 500 CDs).
Sound Juicer nicely handled filling in all the essential info for the
music tracks (Artist, Album, Track name/number) as well as some optional
ones (genre, year, etc...) and filing them away in my chosen music
folder.

I will say right now that while it worked flawlessly for the most part,
there were a few CDs that I had trouble with during the process. There
were a few that were not in the MusicBrainz database (the one Sound
Juicer uses to auto-fill all the tags ) which I added myself where
possible, and there were a few times where sound juicer simply wouldn't
detect the CD's presence (though it would mount just fine). For these
times, I just ejected the CD, and reinserted, and it would usually
work.

Also, when ripping the CDs, I found it immensely useful that Sound
Juicer can be set up to encode with custom settings (such as the number
of audio channels the encoded track should have). Because of this, and
because I have a 5.1 surround sound system on my PC, I encoded all my
FLAC files for 6-channel audio by copying and modifying the default FLAC
encoder line to support multiple channels. to do this from Sound Juicer:
Edit > Preferences | Format > Edit Profiles
select CD Quality, Lossless and hit 'Edit'
under GStreamer pipeline, change channels=2 to channels=6 (or
whatever pleases you most)
hit close
You can also make your own custom format similarly.

> When you convert your FLACs later to Ogg your tags will remain in the
> copies, at least when using Sound Converter. I think it's installed by
> default. If not:
>
> sudo apt-get install soundconverter

Sound converter isn't in the default install, but it's very useful as
well; I use it a lot when putting music onto my MP3 player. Another
useful feature of Sound Converter is that it can rip the audio track off
of a video for you (giving you just the audio track back).

Best of luck with your project!

--
Andrew

Old 09-08-2010, 07:12 PM
"Johnny Rosenberg"

Den 2010-09-08 02:16:53 skrev Andrew Farris <flyindragon1@aol.com>:

> On Mon, 2010-09-06 at 15:55 +0200, Gurus Knugum wrote:
>> Den 2010-09-06 13:18:20 skrev James Bensley <jwbensley@gmail.com>:
>>
>> > Sound Juicer comes with Ubuntu and will rip CDs strait to FLAC, its
>> > very easy to use and will look up artist/album/track names on
>> > line...So its ticks the basic boxes of what you need...
> [snip]
>>
>> I also use Sound Juicer all the time to rip to FLAC. Click If you want
>> add more tags, I would recommend EasyTag for that.

I don't have a clue why the word ”Click” is there. Must have been
something that I wrote earlier and forgot to delete. Sorry if this
confused someone.

> I'll second the use of Sound Juicer for ripping music... I just recently
> backed up my whole CD collection to a new harddrive, just as the OP is
> planning, and I used Sound Juicer to do it (collection of ±500 CDs).

What do you mean by ±500? How can you have -500 CDs? I suppose you mean
≈500 CDs, but maybe I just don't understand what you were trying to say…

> Sound Juicer nicely handled filling in all the essential info for the
> music tracks (Artist, Album, Track name/number) as well as some optional
> ones (genre, year, etc...) and filing them away in my chosen music
> folder.

Yes, but not Composer and Original artist, which could be interesting for
some people, I guess. Or maybe it's only me as usual.

> I will say right now that while it worked flawlessly for the most part,
> there were a few CDs that I had trouble with during the process. There
> were a few that were not in the MusicBrainz database (the one Sound
> Juicer uses to auto-fill all the tags ) which I added myself where
> possible, and there were a few times where sound juicer simply wouldn't
> detect the CD's presence (though it would mount just fine). For these
> times, I just ejected the CD, and reinserted, and it would usually
> work.
>
> Also, when ripping the CDs, I found it immensely useful that Sound
> Juicer can be set up to encode with custom settings (such as the number
> of audio channels the encoded track should have). Because of this, and
> because I have a 5.1 surround sound system on my PC, I encoded all my
> FLAC files for 6-channel audio by copying and modifying the default FLAC
> encoder line to support multiple channels. to do this from Sound Juicer:
> Edit > Preferences | Format > Edit Profiles
> select CD Quality, Lossless and hit 'Edit'
> under GStreamer pipeline, change channels=2 to channels=6 (or
> whatever pleases you most)
> hit close
> You can also make your own custom format similarly.

Yes, but on a CD that is recorded with 2 channels, how can it convert that
to 6 chennels? The information is nowhere on the CD so where does it get
it? Is it some kind of psycho-acoustic effect of some kind? Sounds to me
that it's just a waste of space, but please try to convince me, if you
like. Or maybe I misunderstood there; English is not my native language,
sorry.

--
Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

Old 09-09-2010, 09:21 AM
Basil Chupin

On 09/09/2010 05:12, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

[pruned]

> Yes, but on a CD that is recorded with 2 channels, how can it convert
> that
> to 6 chennels?

You're not really serious in asking this question, are you?

(Have you ever tried to convert a jpeg 5K image into a 20MB TIFF image?

No?

Didn't think so.)

BC

Old 09-09-2010, 09:32 AM
James Bensley

> Yes, but on a CD that is recorded with 2 channels, how can it convert that
> to 6 chennels?

SACDs and DTS CDs are multi channel audio, for example.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:02 PM
Andrew Farris

On Wed, 2010-09-08 at 21:12 +0200, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> and I used Sound Juicer to do it (collection of ±500 CDs).
>
> What do you mean by ±500? How can you have -500 CDs? I suppose you
> mean
> ≈500 CDs, but maybe I just don't understand what you were trying to
> say…

I just meant about 500 CDs. Sorry if the '±' was confusing, as I'm used
to using it as a shorthad for 'about' for other purposes... the '≈'
would have been a better symbol.

> > Sound Juicer nicely handled filling in all the essential info for
> the
> > music tracks (Artist, Album, Track name/number) as well as some
> optional
> > ones (genre, year, etc...) and filing them away in my chosen music
> > folder.
>
> Yes, but not Composer and Original artist, which could be interesting
> for
> some people, I guess. Or maybe it's only me as usual.

Good point, although most modern music is composed by the people who are
performing it (this obviously excludes covers, etc.) so the only time I
think this would be important is for classical music. I could be wrong
though, just my .02

> Yes, but on a CD that is recorded with 2 channels, how can it convert
> that
> to 6 chennels? The information is nowhere on the CD so where does it
> get
> it? Is it some kind of psycho-acoustic effect of some kind? Sounds to
> me
> that it's just a waste of space

It may very well be a waste of space. I just did it that way because
I've got some multi-channel CDs and some where I'm not sure (plus I'm
lazy, and I've got the space). just wanted to share my experiences in
the hope that they'd help somebody

--
Andrew

Old 09-10-2010, 12:10 AM
"Johnny Rosenberg"

Den 2010-09-10 01:02:06 skrev Andrew Farris <flyindragon1@aol.com>:

> On Wed, 2010-09-08 at 21:12 +0200, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>> and I used Sound Juicer to do it (collection of ±500 CDs).
>>
>> What do you mean by ±500? How can you have -500 CDs? I suppose you
>> mean
>> ≈500 CDs, but maybe I just don't understand what you were trying to
>> say…
>
> I just meant about 500 CDs. Sorry if the '±' was confusing, as I'm used
> to using it as a shorthad for 'about' for other purposes... the '≈'
> would have been a better symbol.
>
>> > Sound Juicer nicely handled filling in all the essential info for
>> the
>> > music tracks (Artist, Album, Track name/number) as well as some
>> optional
>> > ones (genre, year, etc...) and filing them away in my chosen music
>> > folder.
>>
>> Yes, but not Composer and Original artist, which could be interesting
>> for
>> some people, I guess. Or maybe it's only me as usual.
>
> Good point, although most modern music is composed by the people who are
> performing it (this obviously excludes covers, etc.) so the only time I
> think this would be important is for classical music. I could be wrong
> though, just my .02

Well, when groups record songs, maybe all the songs are not written by the
same member.

>> Yes, but on a CD that is recorded with 2 channels, how can it convert
>> that
>> to 6 chennels? The information is nowhere on the CD so where does it
>> get
>> it? Is it some kind of psycho-acoustic effect of some kind? Sounds to
>> me
>> that it's just a waste of space
>
> It may very well be a waste of space. I just did it that way because
> I've got some multi-channel CDs and some where I'm not sure (plus I'm
> lazy, and I've got the space). just wanted to share my experiences in
> the hope that they'd help somebody

Sorry for my ignorance, I didn't know there even was such things as multi
channel Audio CDs… I though that multi channel recordings are available
only on Audio DVD or SACD.

--
Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg