Old 09-06-2010, 10:26 AM
Tony Pursell

Default net-book recommendation (wanted)

On Mon, 2010-09-06 at 10:06 +0000, M.R. wrote:
> Hi there;
>
> I am looking for a net-book (Asus eee pc and similar "class") computer,
> and the two most important features are:
>
> 1) ability to run Ubuntu 10.04, specifically that wifi and sound both
> work "out of the box".
>
> 2) easy access to "removable" hard drive; so that hard dives can be
> swapped without taking the whole casing apart (or, God forbid, use of
> a soldering iron ; i.e., some kind of HD access cover/panel, not
> unlike some/most laptops.
>
> All I need on the computer is wifi, ethernet and USB. SD card is
> usefull but not neccessary. I do not require other devices
> (web-cam, bluetooth etc.). Whether I need to run the net-book
> edition or "regular" Ubunty is a different discussion, not to be
> entered at this time.
>
> Thanks in advance for all recommendations,
>
> Marko R.

Here is my experience:

I have an EEEPC 701 Surf. The original one with only 4GB SSD & 512MB RAM
and a Celeron processor with 7" screen. Runs 10.04 beautifully. Wifi,
webcam, sound, ethernet all have worked with no problem. SD card gives
me extra storage. Bluetooth dongle and USB mobile internet dongle work
out of the box. But it is a squeeze in 4GB.

My son has a later EEEPC with 10" screen. He has no problems either
with external USB drive and CD drive.

So Ubuntu and EEEPCs seem to be a perfect match. If you install the
netbook edition, you have the option at the login screen to change back
and forth with the standard GNOME.

Tony

Old 09-06-2010, 10:31 AM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
Am Montag, den 06.09.2010, 10:06 +0000 schrieb M.R.:
> Hi there;
>
> I am looking for a net-book (Asus eee pc and similar "class") computer,
> and the two most important features are:
>
> 1) ability to run Ubuntu 10.04, specifically that wifi and sound both
> work "out of the box".

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/Machines/Netbooks
has a long list of netbooks and their possible issues ...

ciao
oli

Old 09-06-2010, 10:41 AM
"Gurus Knugum"

Den 2010-09-06 12:06:15 skrev M.R. <makrober@gmail.com>:

> Hi there;
>
> I am looking for a net-book (Asus eee pc and similar "class") computer,
> and the two most important features are:
>
> 1) ability to run Ubuntu 10.04, specifically that wifi and sound both
> work "out of the box".
>
> 2) easy access to "removable" hard drive; so that hard dives can be
> swapped without taking the whole casing apart (or, God forbid, use of
> a soldering iron ; i.e., some kind of HD access cover/panel, not
> unlike some/most laptops.
>
> All I need on the computer is wifi, ethernet and USB. SD card is
> usefull but not neccessary. I do not require other devices
> (web-cam, bluetooth etc.). Whether I need to run the net-book
> edition or "regular" Ubunty is a different discussion, not to be
> entered at this time.
>
> Thanks in advance for all recommendations,
>
> Marko R.

My Eee PC 900 fulfils all your wishes except that about a removable HDD,
since there is no HDD and the SSD isn't removable, as far as I know. So,
if that is important, avoid Eee PC 900, otherwise it will work.

Off topic:
I run Ubuntu 10.04 on mine but I also tested Mandriva and some Ubuntu
netbook remix which I hated. Mandriva was nice though, but Ubuntu seems to
have better hardware support; I just plugged in the printer at work and
after a few seconds it was ready for use. I didn't have to do anything.
With Mandriva I couldn't get it to work at all, even though I tried to
install it manually. I didn't try for hours though.

--
Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

Old 09-06-2010, 01:04 PM
calvin martin

i am using ubuntu 10.4 on my aka netbook, but they cal lit an ultra portable, the FUJITSU P3010 or the new Fujitsu PH520, PH530 if in Europe.
Works perfect,* and it has a spill proof keyboard, !!

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 6:06 AM, M.R. <makrober@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi there;

I am looking for a net-book (Asus eee pc and similar "class") computer,

and the two most important features are:

1) ability to run Ubuntu 10.04, specifically that wifi and sound both

work "out of the box".

2) easy access to "removable" hard drive; so that hard dives can be

swapped without taking the whole casing apart (or, God forbid, use of

a soldering iron ; i.e., some kind of HD access cover/panel, not

unlike some/most laptops.

All I need on the computer is wifi, ethernet and USB. SD card is

usefull but not neccessary. I do not require other devices

(web-cam, bluetooth etc.). Whether I need to run the net-book

edition or "regular" Ubunty is a different discussion, not to be

entered at this time.

Thanks in advance for all recommendations,

Marko R.

Karma.
In other words,
it is the result of our own past actions and our own present doings.
We ourselves are responsible for our own happiness and misery.

We create our own Heaven.
We create our own Hell.
We are the architects of our own fate.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:45 PM
"Gurus Knugum"

Den 2010-09-06 15:04:26 skrev calvin martin <cmartin690615@gmail.com>:

> i am using ubuntu 10.4 on my aka netbook, but they cal lit an ultra
> portable, the FUJITSU P3010 or the new Fujitsu PH520, PH530 if in Europe.
> Works perfect, and it has a spill proof keyboard, !!

There is no 10.4 version of Ubuntu. Current version is 10.04 and next
version will be 10.10. If we skip the zeroes, it will be a bit confusing
since 10.4 in that case is released before 10.1…

--
Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

Old 09-06-2010, 07:59 PM
Dick Dowdell

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Gurus Knugum <gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:

Den 2010-09-06 15:04:26 skrev calvin martin <cmartin690615@gmail.com>:

> i am using ubuntu 10.4 on my aka netbook, but they cal lit an ultra

> portable, the FUJITSU P3010 or the new Fujitsu PH520, PH530 if in Europe.

> Works perfect, *and it has a spill proof keyboard, !!

There is no 10.4 version of Ubuntu. Current version is 10.04 and next

version will be 10.10. If we skip the zeroes, it will be a bit confusing

since 10.4 in that case is released before 10.1…

--

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

I'm using Ubuntu 10.04.1 on a Sony Series W netbook.* Works flawlessly with excellent performance.* It's a little pricey, but it has a great screen (1366x768) and a nice keyboard.* I dual boot with Win 7 Pro.* I'm a professional software developer and it has become my primary workstation.

Regards,
Dick Dowdell
H/O: 508-528-4018* Mobile: 508-498-7919

Old 09-06-2010, 08:09 PM
drew einhorn

Don't buy anything with a screen less than 768 pixels tall!
I have a Lenovo S10e with a 1024x576 screen, I hate it when a dialog pops up, and doesn't fit on the screen, and the controls I need to use are off the bottom of the screen.

--
Drew Einhorn

"You can see a lot by just looking."
* --* Yogi Berra

Old 09-06-2010, 11:49 PM
James Takac

Hi Guys

On Monday 06 September 2010 20:31:57 Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
>
> Am Montag, den 06.09.2010, 10:06 +0000 schrieb M.R.:
> > Hi there;
> >
> > I am looking for a net-book (Asus eee pc and similar "class") computer,
> > and the two most important features are:
> >
> > 1) ability to run Ubuntu 10.04, specifically that wifi and sound both
> > work "out of the box".
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/Machines/Netbooks
> has a long list of netbooks and their possible issues ...
>
> ciao
> oli

I have 10.04 on an Acer Aspire 1410 netbook. Everything works out of the box
and 320 gig hdd and 2 gig ram. It has 2 readily removable panels on the
bottom. One for memory and I presume the other for the hdd.

James

Old 09-07-2010, 12:02 PM
Liam Proven

On 6 September 2010 21:09, drew einhorn <drew.einhorn@gmail.com> wrote:
> Don't buy anything with a screen less than 768 pixels tall!
> I have a Lenovo S10e with a 1024x576 screen, I hate it when a dialog pops
> up, and doesn't fit on the screen, and the controls I need to use are off
> the bottom of the screen.

Hold down the Alt key and you can drag any window from anywhere in the
window, not just from the title bar. Slide it up and off the screen a
bit so you can get at the buttons at the bottom.

But yes, you're right, and this is why in 2008, instead of a £250
netbook, I bought a £200 refurbished IBM Thinkpad from 2004. 1024x768
screen, Pentium M instead of an Atom, proper hard disk, Firewire and a
Cardbus slot - even if I've never used the latter 2 items. Yet.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Tony Pursell

On Tue, 2010-09-07 at 13:02 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 6 September 2010 21:09, drew einhorn <drew.einhorn@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Don't buy anything with a screen less than 768 pixels tall!
> > I have a Lenovo S10e with a 1024x576 screen, I hate it when a dialog pops
> > up, and doesn't fit on the screen, and the controls I need to use are off
> > the bottom of the screen.
>
> Hold down the Alt key and you can drag any window from anywhere in the
> window, not just from the title bar. Slide it up and off the screen a
> bit so you can get at the buttons at the bottom.

That works in general, but some apps are too clever and resize the
widows to match the screen. Unfortunately, they don't have scrollbars so
you can never get to the stuff at the bottom. Thunderbird options
screens are like this. There is also one of the install screens (the
partitioning one, I think) that is too large and you cannot move that up
by any means.

Fortunately, these problems only affect the really small screens, like
my 7" EEEPC. The newer 10" screens are not really a problem.