Old 09-06-2010, 08:36 AM
David Fletcher

Default procmail filtering postfix deliveries

This is driving me nuts so I thought I'd ask here.

The email arrangement on my server used to be to use fetchmail to download
over POP3 which passed messages to procmail using /etc/procmailrc which
filtered out any rubbish I don't want to see from certain well defined
sources then delivered into mail boxes. This worked OK but was messy.

I now have my MX record pointing to my server at home. Messages are sorted
into maildir boxes by postfix using the aliases and it works beautifully. I'm
using dovecot-imapd to access my mail.

What I cannot now get to work is filtering using procmail. With a
~/.procmailrc file it either doesn't work or produces an email loop.

I'm using plain Ubuntu Lucid Server with no desktops on this machine.

I would like to know, does anybody here have the MX->postfix->procmail filter
arrangement working, and if so could they please let me have an example or
two of what they have done or some tips I can use?

Thanks.

Dave

Old 09-06-2010, 09:54 AM
Chris G

On Mon, Sep 06, 2010 at 09:36:42AM +0100, David Fletcher wrote:
> This is driving me nuts so I thought I'd ask here.
>
> The email arrangement on my server used to be to use fetchmail to download
> over POP3 which passed messages to procmail using /etc/procmailrc which
> filtered out any rubbish I don't want to see from certain well defined
> sources then delivered into mail boxes. This worked OK but was messy.
>
> I now have my MX record pointing to my server at home. Messages are sorted
> into maildir boxes by postfix using the aliases and it works beautifully. I'm
> using dovecot-imapd to access my mail.
>
> What I cannot now get to work is filtering using procmail. With a
> ~/.procmailrc file it either doesn't work or produces an email loop.
>
> I'm using plain Ubuntu Lucid Server with no desktops on this machine.
>
> I would like to know, does anybody here have the MX->postfix->procmail filter
> arrangement working, and if so could they please let me have an example or
> two of what they have done or some tips I can use?

Don't you just set up a .forward file in your home directory so that
postfix delivers the mail to procmail? I have this sort of a set up
except that it doesn't use procmail it uses a python script I wrote
myself.

Set up postfix to deliver your mail normally (i.e. don't tell it to
use procmail) and create a .forward file to feed the mail into
procmail. My .forward file is simply:-

| /home/chris/bin/filter.py

I guess yours would need to be:-

--
Chris Green

Old 09-06-2010, 10:42 AM
David Fletcher

On Monday 06 Sep 2010, Chris G wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 06, 2010 at 09:36:42AM +0100, David Fletcher wrote:
> > This is driving me nuts so I thought I'd ask here.
> >
> > The email arrangement on my server used to be to use fetchmail to download
> > over POP3 which passed messages to procmail using /etc/procmailrc which
> > filtered out any rubbish I don't want to see from certain well defined
> > sources then delivered into mail boxes. This worked OK but was messy.
> >
> > I now have my MX record pointing to my server at home. Messages are sorted
> > into maildir boxes by postfix using the aliases and it works beautifully.
I'm
> > using dovecot-imapd to access my mail.
> >
> > What I cannot now get to work is filtering using procmail. With a
> > ~/.procmailrc file it either doesn't work or produces an email loop.
> >
> > I'm using plain Ubuntu Lucid Server with no desktops on this machine.
> >
> > I would like to know, does anybody here have the MX->postfix->procmail
filter
> > arrangement working, and if so could they please let me have an example or
> > two of what they have done or some tips I can use?
> >
> Don't you just set up a .forward file in your home directory so that
> postfix delivers the mail to procmail? I have this sort of a set up
> except that it doesn't use procmail it uses a python script I wrote
> myself.
>
> Set up postfix to deliver your mail normally (i.e. don't tell it to
> use procmail) and create a .forward file to feed the mail into
> procmail. My .forward file is simply:-
>
> | /home/chris/bin/filter.py
>
> I guess yours would need to be:-
>
> | /usr/bin/procmail
>
> --
> Chris Green

Yes, I've got a .forward file containing the following that I found in various
help pages found with Google:-
"|IFS=' '&&exec /usr/bin/procmail -f-||exit 75 #dave"

but it results in this stupid mail looping. Every time it receives a message
with this activated the hard drive in the server thrashes away until I
deactivate (change the name of) .forward.

What delivery recipe do you folks use to get procmail to put mail into a
recipient's maildir? I assume it needs to have a recipe for delivery
otherwise as far as I know the message will just drop off the end of
the .procmailrc and vanish into oblivion.

Dave