Old 01-20-2008, 01:12 PM
"John Rose"

Default Evolution Signatures

I haven't been able to setup a signature (using Preferences / Composer Preferences /* Signatures tab) specifying a font of my choice (Arial), even when I paste appropriate details from OO Writer or insert a OO Writer file (I've tried odt, txt, rtf & html). How do I accomplish this?

John

Old 01-21-2008, 08:24 AM
John Carlyle-Clarke

John Rose wrote:
> I haven't been able to setup a signature (using Preferences / Composer
> Preferences / Signatures tab) specifying a font of my choice (Arial),
> even when I paste appropriate details from OO Writer or insert a OO
> Writer file (I've tried odt, txt, rtf & html). How do I accomplish this?

When I asked, I was told this cannot be done with Evolution. It does
not support custom fonts in message text or signatures. This is a pain,
because my company requires that we all use "company stationary" for
mail, i.e. a specific font, layout and signature. The way I have
achieved this is by using Thunderbird. With the Lightning extension, it
can do most things Evolution can apart from Exchange server
integration. It doesn't integrate into the GNOME desktop so nicely, but
I can live with that.

Actually, it's annoying how wrong headed this, IMO. It only makes sense
in a world where everyone uses Outlook. The font my company specifies
for email is Futura Book, which looks nice on the page but not so good
on the screen. Also, most people do not have this installed, so they
will see it in Arial or Helvetica anyway. Furthermore, rendering of
HTML mail is more variable than browser rendering of web pages. I've
noticed that when people reply to my mail, my quoted mail looks totally
different to how it looked when I sent it. I've no idea how it looks
when they get it. IMO HTML mail is OK if you need to structure a mail
with lists, emphases, tables, etc. To try and impose pretty formatting
is a bad idea, unless you can guarantee that everyone is using the same
client on the same OS (Windows and Linux Thunderbirds seem to have
differences too).