Old 01-20-2008, 09:51 AM
Jack Bowling

Default SATA CD/DVD drive not recognized in Gutsy

I have an HP Pavillion m8011N loaded up with Gutsy. The system sees the
SATA hard drive fine but not the CD/DVD drive hanging off the controller. A
long Google search brought up mentions of others with the same predicament
but little in the way of solutions. Anybody run into this? I have a feeling
it is the crippled BIOS that HP puts into these machines. The CD/DVD drive
is not seen by the BIOS either. I tried loading the ide_cd module to no
effect.

Hardware listing follows:

$ lspci
00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Memory Controller (rev a1)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 LPC Bridge (rev a2)
00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP61 SMBus (rev a2)
00:01.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Memory Controller (rev a2)
00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP61 USB Controller (rev a3)
00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP61 USB Controller (rev a3)
00:04.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI bridge (rev a1)
00:05.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP61 High Definition Audio (rev
a2)
00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP61 IDE (rev a2)
00:07.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Ethernet (rev a2)
00:08.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP61 SATA Controller (rev a2)
00:08.1 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP61 SATA Controller (rev a2)
00:09.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
00:0b.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
00:0d.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 6100 nForce
430 (rev a2)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
Miscellaneous Control
01:05.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant CX23418 Single-Chip MPEG-2
Encoder with Integrated Analog Video/Broadcast Audio Decoder
01:06.0 Communication controller: Conexant HSF 56k Data/Fax Modem
01:09.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. IEEE 1394 Host
Controller (rev 80)

Jack

Old 01-21-2008, 07:28 AM
Jack Bowling

On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 02:51:33AM -0800, Jack Bowling wrote:
> I have an HP Pavillion m8011N loaded up with Gutsy. The system sees the
> SATA hard drive fine but not the CD/DVD drive hanging off the controller. A
> long Google search brought up mentions of others with the same predicament
> but little in the way of solutions. Anybody run into this? I have a feeling
> it is the crippled BIOS that HP puts into these machines. The CD/DVD drive
> is not seen by the BIOS either. I tried loading the ide_cd module to no
> effect.

Just a note to say that this was one giant PEBKAC. When replacing RAM
modules the other day, I had inadvertently knocked the SATA cable from the CD
off the motherboard header. All fine now. I blame it on a head cold I am
just now getting over. Sorry for the noise.

Jack