Old 01-20-2008, 03:39 AM
Robert Hodgins

Default Reducing the size of a photo

On Sat, 2008-19-01 at 23:03 -0500, Rajiv Vyas wrote:
> This is not a Ubuntu specific question. I am trying to upload some
> photos to Craigslist and it won't allow me to because the size is too
> large (1.3 Meg per photo). How do I reduce the size of these photos (I
> have F-Spot and Gimp) to say 200 kb?

Method 1:
Open the image in Gimp. Click on Image, then click Scale Image. A dialog
box opens showing the Image Size (Width and Height). The two parameters
can be reduced here. Save the resulting image.

Taking a 640x480 jpg to 320x240 reduced the file size from 289 to 43 kB.
Of course, the resultant photo in this case was quite fuzzy compared to
the original.

Method 2:

In the same dialog box, alter the X and Y resolution. Altering this on a
jpg (from 120 pixels/inch to 72 pixels/inch) altered the file size from
289 to 135 kB. And the product was not so fuzzy as in Method 1.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:40 AM
Corey Bettenhausen

Rajiv Vyas wrote:
> This is not a Ubuntu specific question. I am trying to upload some
> photos to Craigslist and it won't allow me to because the size is too
> large (1.3 Meg per photo). How do I reduce the size of these photos (I
> have F-Spot and Gimp) to say 200 kb?
In Gimp, open the image, right-click on it and select Image -> Scale Image.
-Corey

Old 01-20-2008, 06:59 AM
Robert Spanjaard

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 23:03:54 -0500, Rajiv Vyas wrote:

> This is not a Ubuntu specific question. I am trying to upload some
> photos to Craigslist and it won't allow me to because the size is too
> large (1.3 Meg per photo). How do I reduce the size of these photos (I
> have F-Spot and Gimp) to say 200 kb?

There are three options:
- reduce the size,
- reduce the detail ('quality' level)
- a combination of the above.

Resizing is usually done in the editing-part of a program. Setting the
amount of detail is done in the Save-dialog of a JPEG-file.

In The GIMP, you can resize the image using the menu-option

Image > Scale Image

If you want to reduce the quality, select File > Save As, select the JPEG
filetype (or let the filename end in .jpg), and click the Save-button.
Then, you can set the quality-level in the following dialog, and preview
the resulting image and filesize by checking the "Show Preview in image
window" option.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

Old 01-20-2008, 07:28 AM
Robert Hodgins

> There are three options:
> - reduce the size,
> - reduce the detail ('quality' level)
> - a combination of the above.
>
> Resizing is usually done in the editing-part of a program. Setting the
> amount of detail is done in the Save-dialog of a JPEG-file.
>
> In The GIMP, you can resize the image using the menu-option
>
> Image > Scale Image
>
> If you want to reduce the quality, select File > Save As, select the JPEG
> filetype (or let the filename end in .jpg), and click the Save-button.
> Then, you can set the quality-level in the following dialog, and preview
> the resulting image and filesize by checking the "Show Preview in image
> window" option.

That's really well explained. Thanks.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:07 AM
andy baxter

Rajiv Vyas wrote:
> This is not a Ubuntu specific question. I am trying to upload some
> photos to Craigslist and it won't allow me to because the size is too
> large (1.3 Meg per photo). How do I reduce the size of these photos (I
> have F-Spot and Gimp) to say 200 kb?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rajiv

If you have a lot of photos, and know a bit about shell scripting, you
can do this automatically using ImageMagick, which is a command line
program for editing images. But I wouldn't recommend this route unless
you have some basic knowledge of programming.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:27 AM
"Gilles Gravier"

Ubuntu comes with a very nice tool to edit images... comparable to Photoshop... GIMP. You should use that.

You open your image in GIMP. Then, from the menus of the window that displays your image, you select :

Image -> Scale Image ... Be sure to keep the little locks between X and Y (Height and Width) or you might get strange results.

If you have ImageMagick installed, you have a "convert" tool... which lets you do that as well, manually...

convert* -geometry XxY -quality 75 $baseimage JPEG:$outputimage

This will rescale to XxY, and save with quality 75 (pick whatever suits your needs) the image with name $baseimage, into a JPEG file with name $outputimage

Have fun,
Gilles.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:31 AM
"angels mail"

And ... if you have a lot of photos, you can do the same with phatch http://photobatch.stani.be/, which is a simple GUI program. I found it because I couldn't* instal ImageMagic ...just for a record:* I'm still a newbie in Linux

2008/1/20, andy baxter <andy@earthsong.free-online.co.uk>:
Rajiv Vyas wrote:
> This is not a Ubuntu specific question. I am trying to upload some
> photos to Craigslist and it won't allow me to because the size is too
> large (1.3 Meg per photo). How do I reduce the size of these photos (I

> have F-Spot and Gimp) to say 200 kb?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rajiv

If you have a lot of photos, and know a bit about shell scripting, you
can do this automatically using ImageMagick, which is a command line

program for editing images. But I wouldn't recommend this route unless
you have some basic knowledge of programming.

Cheers, Angels

WE never know how high we are
**Till we are called to rise;
And then, if we are true to plan,
**Our statures touch the skies.(E.Dickinson)

Old 01-20-2008, 11:34 AM
andy baxter

Gilles Gravier wrote:
> Ubuntu comes with a very nice tool to edit images... comparable to
> Photoshop... GIMP. You should use that.
>
> You open your image in GIMP. Then, from the menus of the window that
> displays your image, you select :
>
> Image -> Scale Image ... Be sure to keep the little locks between X
> and Y (Height and Width) or you might get strange results.
>
> If you have ImageMagick installed, you have a "convert" tool... which
> lets you do that as well, manually...
>
> convert -geometry XxY -quality 75 $baseimage JPEG:$outputimage
>
> This will rescale to XxY, and save with quality 75 (pick whatever
> suits your needs) the image with name $baseimage, into a JPEG file
> with name $outputimage

The point about image magick is that you can do a batch of images
automatically /if/ you know how to write a simple shell script. I.e. you
start it off and it will resize all the images to a new size without you
having to open each one in the GIMP and save it again. But I'm reluctant
to post a recipe for doing this because it's too easy to go wrong with
this method if you don't know a bit about what you're doing.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:43 PM
"Bart Cramer"

The program gThumb, standard on Ubuntu distributions, has an easy molti-photo resize tool. Select all images, and then under 'Toosl', select 'Resize images'. No need to resort to shell scripts, then...

Good luck,

Bart.