Old 01-20-2008, 01:40 AM
Larry Alkoff

Default Re-installing grub boots go grub prompt

Using Kubuntu 6.06.
Somehow I destroyed grub. I re-installed grub as per below
but when I boot it stops at a grub prompt.
What do I do with that?

This is what I did to get this far:

I booted the 6.06 install cd and mounted hda1 (root) and hda5 (home).

After a lot of reading tried the following install line:
sudo /sbin/grub-install --root-directory=/mnt --root-shell=/sbin/grub
--recheck /dev/hda

It seemed to come out ok and reported my devices as /dev/fd0 and /dev/hda.

However, when I boot a prompt for grub appears instead of kde.
What do I do with it? Should I change something in /boot/grub?

Larry

Old 01-20-2008, 11:37 AM
Bob St John

On Sat, 2008-01-19 at 20:40 -0600, Larry Alkoff wrote:
> Using Kubuntu 6.06.
> Somehow I destroyed grub. I re-installed grub as per below
> but when I boot it stops at a grub prompt.
> What do I do with that?
>
> This is what I did to get this far:
>
> I booted the 6.06 install cd and mounted hda1 (root) and hda5 (home).
>
> After a lot of reading tried the following install line:
> sudo /sbin/grub-install --root-directory=/mnt --root-shell=/sbin/grub
> --recheck /dev/hda
>
> It seemed to come out ok and reported my devices as /dev/fd0 and /dev/hda.
>
> However, when I boot a prompt for grub appears instead of kde.
> What do I do with it? Should I change something in /boot/grub?
>
> Larry

I recently had the same problem in a dual-boot Fedora and Win/XP
environment. I grabbed SuperGrub.iso
(http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/), burned it to a CD, and booted
from the CD. SuperGrub includes tools that should help you repair your
Grub problems.

Bob St. John