Old 01-16-2008, 09:27 PM
"John B. Pace"

Default tarballs and rpm's

I'm looking for assistance to dealing with tarballs and rpm's. I haven't
been around linux in some 10 years and at 54 my memory is quite fuzzy.
Actually the last time around I had a lot of difficulties until I had to
give up. Not this time. I've got a lot figured out, but have more, of
course--like those tar.gz and rpm files. How does one install them? I've
looked over the internet for an answer and spent about 5 days on it. I
was trying to install Adobe shockwave, which comes as a tar.gz or an
rpm. Your help is appreciated! John Pace

Old 01-19-2008, 07:21 PM
Derek Broughton

John B. Pace wrote:

> I'm looking for assistance to dealing with tarballs and rpm's. I haven't
> been around linux in some 10 years and at 54 my memory is quite fuzzy.
> Actually the last time around I had a lot of difficulties until I had to
> give up. Not this time. I've got a lot figured out, but have more, of
> course--like those tar.gz and rpm files. How does one install them?

Generally, one doesn't. You try to get .deb packages. If you _have_ to
install an rpm, you should use "alien" to convert it to a deb package
first. If it's a tarball, you just untar it, and do "./configure; make;
sudo make install" in the unpacked directory. Of course, it fails if you
don't have all your dependencies installed... primarily you will need to
install the "build-essentials" package.
--
derek

Old 01-19-2008, 10:38 PM
thomas fisher

On Saturday 19 January 2008 13:21:21 Derek Broughton wrote:
> John B. Pace wrote:
> > I'm looking for assistance to dealing with tarballs and rpm's. I haven't
> > been around linux in some 10 years and at 54 my memory is quite fuzzy.
> > Actually the last time around I had a lot of difficulties until I had to
> > give up. Not this time. I've got a lot figured out, but have more, of
> > course--like those tar.gz and rpm files. How does one install them?
>
> Generally, one doesn't. You try to get .deb packages. If you _have_ to
> install an rpm, you should use "alien" to convert it to a deb package
> first. If it's a tarball, you just untar it, and do "./configure; make;
> sudo make install" in the unpacked directory. Of course, it fails if you
> don't have all your dependencies installed... primarily you will need to
> install the "build-essentials" package.
> --
> derek

Does "alien" that is part of the ubuntu release perform a thorough check
that the dependencies of the .rpm are met and ensure that the ubuntu packages
are not compromised?

Tom

Old 01-20-2008, 08:22 PM
Derek Broughton

thomas fisher wrote:

> On Saturday 19 January 2008 13:21:21 Derek Broughton wrote:
>> John B. Pace wrote:
>> > I'm looking for assistance to dealing with tarballs and rpm's. I
>> > haven't been around linux in some 10 years and at 54 my memory is quite
>> > fuzzy. Actually the last time around I had a lot of difficulties until
>> > I had to give up. Not this time. I've got a lot figured out, but have
>> > more, of course--like those tar.gz and rpm files. How does one install
>> > them?
>>
>> Generally, one doesn't. You try to get .deb packages. If you _have_ to
>> install an rpm, you should use "alien" to convert it to a deb package
>> first. If it's a tarball, you just untar it, and do "./configure; make;
>> sudo make install" in the unpacked directory. Of course, it fails if you
>> don't have all your dependencies installed... primarily you will need to
>> install the "build-essentials" package.
>
> Does "alien" that is part of the ubuntu release perform a thorough
> check
> that the dependencies of the .rpm are met and ensure that the ubuntu
> packages are not compromised?

I don't think it does _anything_ thoroughly. afaik, it just makes a best
guess attempt to map the components of the rpm to equivalent components of
a debian package, and then installs it. It's definitely
a "use-at-your-own-risk" solution. As is installing from a tarball
(despite the advice of one of the "experts" on the Plone newsgroups who's
trying to convince me that it's safer to install tarballs than Ubuntu
packages...).
--
derek