Old 01-18-2008, 11:08 AM
Stephan Schöffel

Default VMware Server Problem

hi there,

i installed vmware-server 1.0.3 on ubuntu 7.10 server. the vm-server is
up and running but i am unable to connect to it via vm server console,
using root user.

any ideas where to start?

gtx
stephan

Old 01-18-2008, 01:04 PM
Markus Schönhaber

Stephan Schöffel wrote:

> i installed vmware-server 1.0.3 on ubuntu 7.10 server. the vm-server is
> up and running but i am unable to connect to it via vm server console,
> using root user.
>
> any ideas where to start?

- Is Xinetd running?
- Is the vmware-authd service for Xinetd configured?
- Is the vmware-authd service for Xinetd accessible from the host you're
trying to connect from?
- Does /etc/pam.d/vmware-authd exist and look correct?

Regards
mks

Old 01-18-2008, 04:39 PM
David Vincent

Old 01-18-2008, 07:35 PM
Stephan Schöffel

i did install it using sudo with apt-get. i tried to connect with the
user account as well, without luck.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:29 PM
David Vincent

Old 01-21-2008, 08:39 AM
Stephan Schöffel

David Vincent schrieb:

>> root user is disabled in ubuntu. whom did you install vmware as? did
>> you use sudo? or did you create a password for root and install it as
>> root? (bad idea)
>>
>> when you installed ubuntu you created a user. try that username and
>> password.
>>

> please stop top posting.
>

>>> i did install it using sudo with apt-get. i tried to connect with the
>>> user account as well, without luck.
>>>

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/112937 maybe?
>
> Btw I googled "vmware server ubuntu login bug" and that was the first hit.

problem solved. folowing the link i made the following the changes to
/etc/pam.d/vmware-authd:

#%PAM-1.0
auth sufficient
/usr/lib/vmware-server/lib/libpam.so.0/security/pam_unix2.so shadow nullok
auth required
/usr/lib/vmware-server/lib/libpam.so.0/security/pam_unix_auth.so shadow
nullok
account sufficient
/usr/lib/vmware-server/lib/libpam.so.0/security/pam_unix2.so
account required
/usr/lib/vmware-server/lib/libpam.so.0/security/pam_unix_acct.so

thanks for the hint
stephan