-   -   When connection to Internet fails... (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/403242-when-connection-internet-fails.html)

Afsheen Ghorashy 07-23-2010 03:03 PM

When connection to Internet fails...

I have a laptop running Ubuntu. Sometimes, during long sessions, my
computer automatically releases the wireless connection. When I try to
connect again, it is not able to.

My current solution is to restart the computer or to do sudo
/etc/init.d/gdm restart.

Is there any other service that I can restart that will just restart the
internet connection interface (my goal is fix the problem without losing
my session when this happens)?

Thanks,
Grasswistle

Markus Schönhaber 07-23-2010 04:40 PM

When connection to Internet fails...

23.07.2010 17:03, Afsheen Ghorashy:

> I have a laptop running Ubuntu. Sometimes, during long sessions, my
> computer automatically releases the wireless connection. When I try to
> connect again, it is not able to.
>
> My current solution is to restart the computer or to do sudo
> /etc/init.d/gdm restart.
>
> Is there any other service that I can restart that will just restart the
> internet connection interface (my goal is fix the problem without losing
> my session when this happens)?

Sometimes restarting NetworkManager helps. On Lucid
sudo service network-manager restart
should do this. IIRC, on older Ubuntu releases the service's name may be
different - "NetworkManager" or similar.

--
Regards
mks

NoOp 07-23-2010 06:28 PM

On 07/23/2010 08:03 AM, Afsheen Ghorashy wrote:
> I have a laptop running Ubuntu. Sometimes, during long sessions, my
> computer automatically releases the wireless connection. When I try to
> connect again, it is not able to.
>
> My current solution is to restart the computer or to do sudo
> /etc/init.d/gdm restart.
>
> Is there any other service that I can restart that will just restart the
> internet connection interface (my goal is fix the problem without losing
> my session when this happens)?

Try:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

====