Old 07-22-2010, 11:36 PM
Liam Proven

Default Mi monitor blinks with the new Ubuntu version

On 22 July 2010 22:54, Juan Jovel <jovel_juan@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Everybody!
>
> I just updated my Ubuntu system to the version 10.04, after that, my monitor
> blinks (like a little short-circuit).* I did not have this problem with the
> previous Ubuntu version.* I have a Dell Inspiron laptop with a Intel Core
> Duo processor.
>
> Any suggestion will be welcome.

In case of display problems, it is often useful to try to connect an
external screen. Do this with the machine turned off; once the
external screen is connected and turned on, *then* turn on your PC and
let it start. It should detect & use the external screen
automatically.

From there, you can do some more troubleshooting.

It would be helpful if you could tell us what graphics chipset the
laptop uses, or failing that, the exact full model number (usually on
a sticker underneath) so we can look it up.

--
Liam Proven • Profile & links: http://www.google.com/profiles/lproven

Old 07-23-2010, 01:04 AM
Jordon Bedwell

On 7/22/10 7:27 PM, Juan Jovel wrote:

> Hi Liam and everybody,
>
> thanks for answering. Here are the specifications of my graphics card:
>
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series
Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
> Subsystem: Dell Device 02aa
> Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 30
> Memory at f6c00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
> Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
> I/O ports at efe8 [size=8]
> Capabilities:<access denied>
> Kernel driver in use: i915
> Kernel modules: i915
>

> Again, my problem is that my screen blinks (from time to time, every
5 min I would say) with the new Ubuntu distro.

> Thanks a lot for any help,
>
> JUAN

Please reply with the same subject for now on so that people can view
the threads online and see your solutions if they have the same problem.
Reset your graphics to vesa, login and then install the xorg for intel
graphics.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-intel