Old 07-22-2010, 04:56 AM
Basil Chupin

Default Question 3: Ubuntu - Medibuntu and Alpha 'releases'

Form past experience of long-time users of Ubuntu, how long does it take
for a repository/ies relating to Medibuntu become altered to be able to
use the Medibuntu apps in an Alpha release of Ubuntu? At the moment I
have Maverick Alpha 2 installed but I cannot install the Medibuntu apps.

A bit hard to test something when the Alpha is short of the "full quid"
for testing.

BC

--
And God created Woman; and to repent He then created Beer.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:01 AM
M Thomason

On 22/07/2010 05:56, Basil Chupin wrote:
> Form past experience of long-time users of Ubuntu, how long does it take
> for a repository/ies relating to Medibuntu become altered to be able to
> use the Medibuntu apps in an Alpha release of Ubuntu? At the moment I
> have Maverick Alpha 2 installed but I cannot install the Medibuntu apps.
>
> A bit hard to test something when the Alpha is short of the "full quid"
> for testing.
>
> BC

Aaaaaand going for the trifecta here

I tried adding the Medibuntu/Lucid repository to my Maverick on the
off-chance gamble that it would work, and it pulled quite a few packages
from there all of which are working just fine so far. I think the
Medibuntu packages are still ahead of the equivalent Ubuntu-official
ones in Maverick (where they exist) and so will upgrade them if you have
them installed. Obviously something may possibly break further down the
line and need fixing by switching to the Medibuntu/Maverick repo when
they have that up, but all okay so far (touch wood).

Old 07-22-2010, 06:35 AM
Basil Chupin

On 22/07/10 15:01, M Thomason wrote:
> On 22/07/2010 05:56, Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> Form past experience of long-time users of Ubuntu, how long does it take
>> for a repository/ies relating to Medibuntu become altered to be able to
>> use the Medibuntu apps in an Alpha release of Ubuntu? At the moment I
>> have Maverick Alpha 2 installed but I cannot install the Medibuntu apps.
>>
>> A bit hard to test something when the Alpha is short of the "full quid"
>> for testing.
>>
>> BC
>>

> Aaaaaand going for the trifecta here

What are the odds on this trifecta? :-)

> I tried adding the Medibuntu/Lucid repository to my Maverick on the
> off-chance gamble that it would work, and it pulled quite a few packages
> from there all of which are working just fine so far.

Hmmmm, I'll have to try again (last time I tried was yesterday) but when
I tried to use the command line given in Medibuntu it comes up with the
error that it cannot find the Maverick repository.....

But I did find that Maverick seems to have overcome some of the earlier
Ubuntu maiden shyness and actually installs some apps which will allow
you to handle some multimedia, but not all (eg k9copy).

Old 07-22-2010, 12:49 PM
M Thomason

On 22/07/2010 07:35, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 22/07/10 15:01, M Thomason wrote:
>> On 22/07/2010 05:56, Basil Chupin wrote:
>> I tried adding the Medibuntu/Lucid repository to my Maverick on the
>> off-chance gamble that it would work, and it pulled quite a few packages
>> from there all of which are working just fine so far.
>
> Hmmmm, I'll have to try again (last time I tried was yesterday) but when
> I tried to use the command line given in Medibuntu it comes up with the
> error that it cannot find the Maverick repository.....

Ah, yes, my fault for not mentioning *how* I added it - sorry!

The Medibuntu page instructions read

sudo wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list && sudo
apt-get --quiet update && sudo apt-get --yes --quiet
--allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get
--quiet update

But to force it to the Lucid repository in Maverick, do

sudo wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/lucid.list && sudo apt-get
--quiet update && sudo apt-get --yes --quiet --allow-unauthenticated
install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get --quiet update

i.e. replace the $(lsb_release -cs) variable (which just substitutes
your ubuntu release name) with a hardcoded (and all lower case) lucid

Remember, of course, to keep an eye on Medibuntu and add their Maverick
repo when it comes up.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:06 PM
NoOp

http://packages.medibuntu.org/

Old 07-22-2010, 05:13 PM
NoOp

On 07/22/2010 10:06 AM, NoOp wrote:
> http://packages.medibuntu.org/

Sorry, meant to add:
https://launchpad.net/medibuntu/
which shows the milestones, links to maverick etc.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:09 AM
Basil Chupin

On 22/07/10 22:49, M Thomason wrote:
> On 22/07/2010 07:35, Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> On 22/07/10 15:01, M Thomason wrote:
>>
>>> On 22/07/2010 05:56, Basil Chupin wrote:
>>> I tried adding the Medibuntu/Lucid repository to my Maverick on the
>>> off-chance gamble that it would work, and it pulled quite a few packages
>>> from there all of which are working just fine so far.
>>>
>> Hmmmm, I'll have to try again (last time I tried was yesterday) but when
>> I tried to use the command line given in Medibuntu it comes up with the
>> error that it cannot find the Maverick repository.....
>>

> Ah, yes, my fault for not mentioning *how* I added it - sorry!
>
> The Medibuntu page instructions read
>
> sudo wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
> http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list&& sudo
> apt-get --quiet update&& sudo apt-get --yes --quiet
> --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring&& sudo apt-get
> --quiet update
>
> But to force it to the Lucid repository in Maverick, do
>
> sudo wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
> http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/lucid.list&& sudo apt-get
> --quiet update&& sudo apt-get --yes --quiet --allow-unauthenticated
> install medibuntu-keyring&& sudo apt-get --quiet update
>
> i.e. replace the $(lsb_release -cs) variable (which just substitutes
> your ubuntu release name) with a hardcoded (and all lower case) lucid
>
> Remember, of course, to keep an eye on Medibuntu and add their Maverick
> repo when it comes up.

Great! Thanks for this. I'll put it thru very shortly.

BC

--
And God created Woman; and to repent He then created Beer.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:12 AM
Basil Chupin

On 23/07/10 03:13, NoOp wrote:
> On 07/22/2010 10:06 AM, NoOp wrote:
>
>> http://packages.medibuntu.org/
>>
> Sorry, meant to add:
> https://launchpad.net/medibuntu/
> which shows the milestones, links to maverick etc.

Thanks for this - but must not be reading the all the wrong bits because
I cannot see where there are any files for Maverick (alpha)- only see
lucid and earlier. So I guess my original question stands: at what stage
would Medibuntu be available to use as a source for an alpha of a new
version of Ubuntu?

BC

--
And God created Woman; and to repent He then created Beer.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:23 AM
NoOp

On 07/22/2010 09:12 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 23/07/10 03:13, NoOp wrote:
>> On 07/22/2010 10:06 AM, NoOp wrote:
>>
>>> http://packages.medibuntu.org/
>>>
>> Sorry, meant to add:
>> https://launchpad.net/medibuntu/
>> which shows the milestones, links to maverick etc.
>>

> Thanks for this - but must not be reading the all the wrong bits because
> I cannot see where there are any files for Maverick (alpha)- only see
> lucid and earlier. So I guess my original question stands: at what stage
> would Medibuntu be available to use as a source for an alpha of a new
> version of Ubuntu?

https://launchpad.net/medibuntu/+milestones
Version Expected Released Summar
Medibuntu maverick "maverick" 2010-10-28 not yet released

Click 'Code'
https://code.launchpad.net/medibuntu
for code status. Medibuntu do not do prerelease code (as far as I know).
You could of course volunteer to join the Medibuntu Packaging Team...

Old 07-23-2010, 04:39 AM
Basil Chupin

On 23/07/10 14:23, NoOp wrote:
> On 07/22/2010 09:12 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:

>>> Sorry, meant to add:
>>> https://launchpad.net/medibuntu/
>>> which shows the milestones, links to maverick etc.
>>>

>> Thanks for this - but must not be reading the all the wrong bits because
>> I cannot see where there are any files for Maverick (alpha)- only see
>> lucid and earlier. So I guess my original question stands: at what stage
>> would Medibuntu be available to use as a source for an alpha of a new
>> version of Ubuntu?
>>
> https://launchpad.net/medibuntu/+milestones
> Version Expected Released Summar
> Medibuntu maverick "maverick" 2010-10-28 not yet released
>
> Click 'Code'
> https://code.launchpad.net/medibuntu
> for code status. Medibuntu do not do prerelease code (as far as I know).
> You could of course volunteer to join the Medibuntu Packaging Team...

Aha, so that's the answer - nothing until the final release.

And you are suggesting that I join the Packaging Team?! You'll never see
Medibuntu ever again if I did that! :-D .

BC

--
And God created Woman; and to repent He then created Beer.