-   -   Question 1 of 3 : Ubuntu - size of Terminal/Console (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/402483-question-1-3-ubuntu-size-terminal-console.html)

Basil Chupin 07-22-2010 04:40 AM

Question 1 of 3 : Ubuntu - size of Terminal/Console

I am just finalising the changeover of my wife's computer from another
distro to Lucid (almost there - the bloody sound doesn't work! - where
have I read this before? :-( ).

Question 1: I always like to see the Terminal/Console window open in
maximised mode.

What do I need to do to make this window STAY maximised whenever I open it?

I have used "gnome-terminal --maximize" till I am blue in the face but
the setting will NOT stick. (BTW, the same thing is happening in
Maverick Alpha2.)

On my computer I have no such problem but with the new installation of
Lucid (and in Alpha2 Maverick) I am unable to get it to "stick".

What I forgotten to do, please?

BC

--
And God created Woman; and to repent He then created Beer.

M Thomason 07-22-2010 04:49 AM

On 22/07/2010 05:40, Basil Chupin wrote:
> I am just finalising the changeover of my wife's computer from another
> distro to Lucid (almost there - the bloody sound doesn't work! - where
> have I read this before? :-( ).
>
> Question 1: I always like to see the Terminal/Console window open in
> maximised mode.
>
> What do I need to do to make this window STAY maximised whenever I open it?
>
> I have used "gnome-terminal --maximize" till I am blue in the face but
> the setting will NOT stick. (BTW, the same thing is happening in
> Maverick Alpha2.)
>
> On my computer I have no such problem but with the new installation of
> Lucid (and in Alpha2 Maverick) I am unable to get it to "stick".
>
> What I forgotten to do, please?
>
> BC

Hiya,

You may want to check out Devilspie (apt-get install devilspie)

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Devilspie

You'll probably want a rule something like

(if (matches (window_name) "^Terminal.+") (maximize))

Although I haven't tested that to see if it works

Basil Chupin 07-22-2010 06:11 AM

On 22/07/10 14:49, M Thomason wrote:
> On 22/07/2010 05:40, Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> I am just finalising the changeover of my wife's computer from another
>> distro to Lucid (almost there - the bloody sound doesn't work! - where
>> have I read this before? :-( ).
>>
>> Question 1: I always like to see the Terminal/Console window open in
>> maximised mode.
>>
>> What do I need to do to make this window STAY maximised whenever I open it?
>>
>> I have used "gnome-terminal --maximize" till I am blue in the face but
>> the setting will NOT stick. (BTW, the same thing is happening in
>> Maverick Alpha2.)
>>
>> On my computer I have no such problem but with the new installation of
>> Lucid (and in Alpha2 Maverick) I am unable to get it to "stick".
>>
>> What I forgotten to do, please?
>>
>> BC
>>

> Hiya,
>
> You may want to check out Devilspie (apt-get install devilspie)
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Devilspie
>
> You'll probably want a rule something like
>
> (if (matches (window_name) "^Terminal.+") (maximize))
>
> Although I haven't tested that to see if it works

Thanks for this - I shall have a closer look at this a bit later.

But at this point I must add this comment (or 2 or 3)....

I don't ever recall having to install anything "gadgets" to get an app
window to stay maximised - for example, I didn't have to do this for the
Terminal/Console window when I was using a different distro. I think the
first time I came across this was when I installed Ubuntu (Lucid) and
somebody (?NoOP) told me to use the 'gnome-terminal --maximize' command
after installing gconf2). I used to simply click on the Maximise icon
and, voila, the window was maximised and it stayed that way when one
closed console. Now I have gconf2 installed (on both systems, my wife's
Lucid and Maverick Alpha2) and I cannot keep the window maximised.....

The other thing is that I don't have to do anything with any other
application such as Firefox, Thunderbird, any of the gnome games or even
the KDE games or OpenOffice or whatever. I maximise them and they stay
maximised - from one boot-up to the next boot-up.

And finally, it seems that Ubuntu is going the way of the plasmas and
widgets and gidgets as in KDE to get things done, or as another distro
has gone where it now relies most heavily on the "community" for almost
everything and if nobody in the "community" has the time to maintain an
app then - "tough cheddar, busters". (And yes, I do know about the
Mozilla people.....)

(But I will add this with regards to Maverick [Alpha 2] : there is this
very nice facility which will automatically report to base a bug when
one comes up; it creates a report and sends it if you allow it to do all
this. A VERY great idea! [I don't know if this existed before as
Maverick is the first Ubuntu work-in-progress I have encountered].)

BC

--
And God created Woman; and to repent He then created Beer.

Tony Pursell 07-22-2010 09:00 AM

On Thu, 2010-07-22 at 14:40 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
> I am just finalising the changeover of my wife's computer from another
> distro to Lucid (almost there - the bloody sound doesn't work! - where
> have I read this before? :-( ).
>
> Question 1: I always like to see the Terminal/Console window open in
> maximised mode.
>
> What do I need to do to make this window STAY maximised whenever I open it?
>
> I have used "gnome-terminal --maximize" till I am blue in the face but
> the setting will NOT stick. (BTW, the same thing is happening in
> Maverick Alpha2.)
>
> On my computer I have no such problem but with the new installation of
> Lucid (and in Alpha2 Maverick) I am unable to get it to "stick".
>
> What I forgotten to do, please?
>
> BC
>
> --
> And God created Woman; and to repent He then created Beer.

Hi Basil

I have had a look at gnome-terminal options in gconf-editor and there is
no option to open maximised. However, a simple F11 will toggle between
maximised to full screen and un-maximised.

A quick look at the manual for gnome-terminal does not show a --maximise
option. In fact, when I tried adding this to the command in the launcher
properties, it failed to open gnome-terminal. What may work is adding
the --geometry=GEOMETRY option, where GEOMETRY is specified in 'man x'.

Hope that helps.

Tony

Basil Chupin 07-22-2010 09:13 AM

On 22/07/10 19:00, Tony Pursell wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-07-22 at 14:40 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> I am just finalising the changeover of my wife's computer from another
>> distro to Lucid (almost there - the bloody sound doesn't work! - where
>> have I read this before? :-( ).
>>
>> Question 1: I always like to see the Terminal/Console window open in
>> maximised mode.
>>
>> What do I need to do to make this window STAY maximised whenever I open it?
>>
>> I have used "gnome-terminal --maximize" till I am blue in the face but
>> the setting will NOT stick. (BTW, the same thing is happening in
>> Maverick Alpha2.)
>>
>> On my computer I have no such problem but with the new installation of
>> Lucid (and in Alpha2 Maverick) I am unable to get it to "stick".
>>
>> What I forgotten to do, please?
>>
>> BC
>>
>> --
>> And God created Woman; and to repent He then created Beer.
>>

> Hi Basil
>
> I have had a look at gnome-terminal options in gconf-editor and there is
> no option to open maximised. However, a simple F11 will toggle between
> maximised to full screen and un-maximised.
>
> A quick look at the manual for gnome-terminal does not show a --maximise
> option. In fact, when I tried adding this to the command in the launcher
> properties, it failed to open gnome-terminal. What may work is adding
> the --geometry=GEOMETRY option, where GEOMETRY is specified in 'man x'.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Tony

AAAH! my friend, you have just produced the solution! :-) .

Right click on the icon for the Terminal and in Properties>Command you
type "gnome-terminal --maximize" (without the quotes of course)!

THAT is the solution!

Many thanks for re-activating the "little grey cells" :-) .

BC

--
And God created Woman; and to repent He then created Beer.

Eoghan O'Beirn 07-22-2010 09:52 AM

Question 1 of 3 : Ubuntu - size of Terminal/Console

>I am just finalising the changeover of my wife's computer from another
>distro to Lucid (almost there - the bloody sound doesn't work! - where
>have I read this before? :-( ).
>
>Question 1: I always like to see the Terminal/Console window open in
>maximised mode.
>
>What do I need to do to make this window STAY maximised whenever I open it?
>
>I have used "gnome-terminal --maximize" till I am blue in the face but
>the setting will NOT stick. (BTW, the same thing is happening in
>Maverick Alpha2.)
>
>On my computer I have no such problem but with the new installation of
>Lucid (and in Alpha2 Maverick) I am unable to get it to "stick".
>
>What I forgotten to do, please?
>
>BC

Basil

As a fellow console lover I suggest you should check out tilda. It's a great alternative to the standard console with lots of easy to configure options, it's always the first thing I grab from the repo's after installing a new distro. I normally set it up so that it launches hidden on start-up, hit a function key and it rolls down in all it borderless, transparent glory.

Regards

And God created Woman; and to repent He then created Beer.

Basil Chupin 07-22-2010 10:38 AM

On 22/07/10 19:52, Eoghan O'Beirn wrote:
>> I am just finalising the changeover of my wife's computer from another
>> distro to Lucid (almost there - the bloody sound doesn't work! - where
>> have I read this before? :-( ).
>>
>> Question 1: I always like to see the Terminal/Console window open in
>> maximised mode.
>>
>> What do I need to do to make this window STAY maximised whenever I open it?
>>
>> I have used "gnome-terminal --maximize" till I am blue in the face but
>> the setting will NOT stick. (BTW, the same thing is happening in
>> Maverick Alpha2.)
>>
>> On my computer I have no such problem but with the new installation of
>> Lucid (and in Alpha2 Maverick) I am unable to get it to "stick".
>>
>> What I forgotten to do, please?
>>
>> BC
>>

> Basil
>
> As a fellow console lover I suggest you should check out tilda. It's a great alternative to the standard console with lots of easy to configure options, it's always the first thing I grab from the repo's after installing a new distro. I normally set it up so that it launches hidden on start-up, hit a function key and it rolls down in all it borderless, transparent glory.
>
> Regards

Thanks for this, I'll check it out shortly - though I'm too keen on the
idea of it popping it up when I hit a function key....Nevertheless I
shall check it out :-) .

BC

--
And God created Woman; and to repent He then created Beer.