-   -   autofs man page too old on my ubuntu LTS 10.04 (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/402394-autofs-man-page-too-old-my-ubuntu-lts-10-04-a.html)

NoOp 07-21-2010 10:33 PM

On 07/21/2010 02:53 PM, Peng Yu wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 3:40 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> On 07/21/2010 01:04 PM, Peng Yu wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have the following autofs man page, which is too old.
>>>
>>> I tried to search 'autofs' on http://packages.ubuntu.com/ under
>>> "Search the contents of packages". But I don't see which package I
>>> should install to get the latest man page. Could anybody show me what
>>> is the proper way to search a package? In particular, what package I
>>> should install to get the latest man page of autofs?
>>>

>> That is the latest man page for autofs:
>> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/en/man8/autofs.8.html
>> Try:
>> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/en/man5/autofs.5.html
>>
>> File a bug report if you think they are outdated:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/autofs
>
> I'm not sure if they are outdated or not. One was written in 1997 and
> the other was written in 2000. It just looks strange to me that they
> have not been updated in the last 10 years. Does it mean autofs user
> interface hasn't been changed in the last 10 years?

Looks strange to me, but I've seen stranger :-) Here is the upstream source:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/daemons/autofs/v5/
Seems to have some recent man page updates. Example:
autofs-5.0.5-add-autofs_ldap_auth_conf-man-page.patch
24-May-2010 03:11 9.7K
but I don't know whether they apply to Ubuntu or not. I suggest you
either file a bug, or use 'Answers'
(https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/autofs) to ask the package
maintainers. I doubt you are going to get any 'authoritative' answers on
a users list.

Tom H 07-22-2010 09:34 PM

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 6:33 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 07/21/2010 02:53 PM, Peng Yu wrote:

>>> That is the latest man page for autofs:
>>> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/en/man8/autofs.8.html
>>> Try:
>>> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/en/man5/autofs.5.html
>>>
>>> File a bug report if you think they are outdated:
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/autofs
>>
>> I'm not sure if they are outdated or not. One was written in 1997 and
>> the other was written in 2000. It just looks strange to me that they
>> have not been updated in the last 10 years. Does it mean autofs user
>> interface hasn't been changed in the last 10 years?
>
> Looks strange to me, but I've seen stranger :-) Here is the upstream source:
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/daemons/autofs/v5/
> Seems to have some recent man page updates. Example:
> autofs-5.0.5-add-autofs_ldap_auth_conf-man-page.patch
> *24-May-2010 03:11 *9.7K
> but I don't know whether they apply to Ubuntu or not. I suggest you
> either file a bug, or use 'Answers'
> (https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/autofs) to ask the package
> maintainers. I doubt you are going to get any 'authoritative' answers on
> a users list.

The man pages are not outdated. autofs simply has not changed.

Ubuntu simply needs to change"/etc/init.d/autofs
start|stop|restart|reload|status" because of upstart; the maintainer
must have forgotten to do so.

NoOp 07-23-2010 01:16 AM

On 07/22/2010 02:34 PM, Tom H wrote:

> The man pages are not outdated. autofs simply has not changed.
>
> Ubuntu simply needs to change"/etc/init.d/autofs
> start|stop|restart|reload|status" because of upstart; the maintainer
> must have forgotten to do so.

Please file a bug at:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/autofs
Sample:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/autofs/+bug/318495>
Note: I'd just add a bug report stating that the man page (be sure to
note which one - 5 or 8) and suggest that it be changed.
Added note: /etc/init.d/autofs still gets install & does still work.
However also let them know:

$ sudo /etc/init.d/autofs --status
Rather than invoking init scripts through /etc/init.d, use the service(8)
utility, e.g. service autofs --status

The script you are attempting to invoke has been converted to an Upstart
job, but --status is not supported for Upstart jobs.

And...
$ sudo service autofs --status
Rather than invoking init scripts through /etc/init.d, use the service(8)
utility, e.g. service autofs --status

The script you are attempting to invoke has been converted to an Upstart
job, but --status is not supported for Upstart jobs.

$ service autofs restart
restart: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call",
sender=":1.76" (uid=1001 pid=13252 comm="restart)
interface="com.ubuntu.Upstart0_6.Job" member="Restart" error
name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination="com.ubuntu.Upstart" (uid=0
pid=1 comm="/sbin/init"))

Nor does, start, stop etc. autofs has larger issues, See:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/autofs/+bug/573919
[autofs doesn't work with lucid]

NoOp 07-23-2010 01:19 AM

On 07/22/2010 06:16 PM, NoOp wrote:
> Please file a bug at:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/autofs
> Sample:
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/autofs/+bug/318495>
> Note: I'd just add a bug report stating that the man page (be sure to
> note which one - 5 or 8) and suggest that it be changed.
> Added note: /etc/init.d/autofs still gets install & does still work.
Sorry, should have been:
Added note: /etc/init.d/autofs still gets install & still does not work.

Tom H 07-23-2010 08:41 AM

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 9:16 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 07/22/2010 02:34 PM, Tom H wrote:
>
>> The man pages are not outdated. autofs simply has not changed.
>>
>> Ubuntu simply needs to change"/etc/init.d/autofs
>> start|stop|restart|reload|status" because of upstart; the maintainer
>> must have forgotten to do so.
>
> Please file a bug at:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/autofs
> Sample:
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/autofs/+bug/318495>
> Note: I'd just add a bug report stating that the man page (be sure to
> note which one - 5 or 8) and suggest that it be changed.
> Added note: /etc/init.d/autofs still gets install & does still work.
> However also let them know:
>
> $ sudo /etc/init.d/autofs --status
> Rather than invoking init scripts through /etc/init.d, use the service(8)
> utility, e.g. service autofs --status
>
> The script you are attempting to invoke has been converted to an Upstart
> job, but --status is not supported for Upstart jobs.
>
> And...
> $ sudo service autofs --status
> Rather than invoking init scripts through /etc/init.d, use the service(8)
> utility, e.g. service autofs --status
>
> The script you are attempting to invoke has been converted to an Upstart
> job, but --status is not supported for Upstart jobs.
>
> $ service autofs restart
> restart: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call",
> sender=":1.76" (uid=1001 pid=13252 comm="restart)
> interface="com.ubuntu.Upstart0_6.Job" member="Restart" error
> name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination="com.ubuntu.Upstart" (uid=0
> pid=1 comm="/sbin/init"))
>
> Nor does, start, stop etc. autofs has larger issues, See:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/autofs/+bug/573919
> [autofs doesn't work with lucid]
>
> Added note: /etc/init.d/autofs still gets install & still does not work.

I installed autofs in a new Lucid vbox and these commands work perfectly for me.

service autofs status
service autofs stop
service autofs restart

initctl status autofs
initctl stop autofs
initctl restart autofs
or the shorter versions of the above
status autofs
stop autofs
restart autofs

Furthermore, all upstart jobs have both an "/etc/init/job.conf" and an
"/etc/init.d/job" where the latter is a symlink to
"/lib/init/upstart-job" where "upstart-job" displays the text about
service.

NoOp 07-23-2010 04:06 PM

On 07/23/2010 01:41 AM, Tom H wrote:
> I installed autofs in a new Lucid vbox and these commands work perfectly for me.
>
> service autofs status
> service autofs stop
> service autofs restart
>
> initctl status autofs
> initctl stop autofs
> initctl restart autofs
> or the shorter versions of the above
> status autofs
> stop autofs
> restart autofs
>
> Furthermore, all upstart jobs have both an "/etc/init/job.conf" and an
> "/etc/init.d/job" where the latter is a symlink to
> "/lib/init/upstart-job" where "upstart-job" displays the text about
> service.

Ah. It's working this morning. I guess it needed a reboot?

Tom H 07-23-2010 06:43 PM

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 12:06 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 07/23/2010 01:41 AM, Tom H wrote:
>> I installed autofs in a new Lucid vbox and these commands work perfectly for me.
>>
>> service autofs status
>> service autofs stop
>> service autofs restart
>>
>> initctl status autofs
>> initctl stop autofs
>> initctl restart autofs
>> or the shorter versions of the above
>> status autofs
>> stop autofs
>> restart autofs
>>
>> Furthermore, all upstart jobs have both an "/etc/init/job.conf" and an
>> "/etc/init.d/job" where the latter is a symlink to
>> "/lib/init/upstart-job" where "upstart-job" displays the text about
>> service.
>
> Ah. It's working this morning. I guess it needed a reboot?

I don't think so.

When I realized after I answered that I had installed Maverick not
lucid, so I booted from a Lucid live cd, installed autofs, and it
worked immediately.

You must have had some strange gremlins in your system. :)