Old 07-21-2010, 08:40 PM
NoOp

Default autofs man page too old on my ubuntu LTS 10.04

On 07/21/2010 01:04 PM, Peng Yu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have the following autofs man page, which is too old.
>
> I tried to search 'autofs' on http://packages.ubuntu.com/ under
> "Search the contents of packages". But I don't see which package I
> should install to get the latest man page. Could anybody show me what
> is the proper way to search a package? In particular, what package I
> should install to get the latest man page of autofs?

That is the latest man page for autofs:
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/en/man8/autofs.8.html
Try:
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/en/man5/autofs.5.html

File a bug report if you think they are outdated:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/autofs

Old 07-21-2010, 08:42 PM
Patrick Doyle

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 4:04 PM, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have the following autofs man page, which is too old.
>
> I tried to search 'autofs' on http://packages.ubuntu.com/ *under
> "Search the contents of packages". But I don't see which package I
> should install to get the latest man page. Could anybody show me what
> is the proper way to search a package? In particular, what package I
> should install to get the latest man page of autofs?
>
> --
Hello Peng,
When I just tried searching the contents of packages at
http://packages.ubuntu.com, it showed that /etc/init.d/autofs was in
the autofs5 package. When I run

$ apt-file list autofs5

I see that it installs man pages for autofs5.

If you don't have apt-file installed, you can install it with:

$ sudo aptitude install apt-file
$ sudo apt-file update

--wpd

Old 07-21-2010, 09:53 PM
Peng Yu

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 3:40 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 07/21/2010 01:04 PM, Peng Yu wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have the following autofs man page, which is too old.
>>
>> I tried to search 'autofs' on http://packages.ubuntu.com/ *under
>> "Search the contents of packages". But I don't see which package I
>> should install to get the latest man page. Could anybody show me what
>> is the proper way to search a package? In particular, what package I
>> should install to get the latest man page of autofs?
>>

> That is the latest man page for autofs:
> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/en/man8/autofs.8.html
> Try:
> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/en/man5/autofs.5.html
>
> File a bug report if you think they are outdated:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/autofs

I'm not sure if they are outdated or not. One was written in 1997 and
the other was written in 2000. It just looks strange to me that they
have not been updated in the last 10 years. Does it mean autofs user
interface hasn't been changed in the last 10 years?

Peng