Old 07-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Peng Yu

Default autofs man page too old on my ubuntu LTS 10.04

Hi,

I have the following autofs man page, which is too old.

I tried to search 'autofs' on http://packages.ubuntu.com/ under
"Search the contents of packages". But I don't see which package I
should install to get the latest man page. Could anybody show me what
is the proper way to search a package? In particular, what package I
should install to get the latest man page of autofs?

Peng

AUTOFS(8) AUTOFS(8)

NAME
/etc/init.d/autofs - Control Script for automounter

SYNOPSIS
/etc/init.d/autofs start|stop|restart|reload|status

DESCRIPTION
autofs control the operation of the automount(8) daemons running on the
Linux system. Usually autofs is invoked at system boot time with the
start parameter and at shutdown time with the stop parameter. The aut‐
ofs script can also manually be invoked by the system administrator to
shut down, restart or reload the automounters.

OPERATION
autofs will consult a configuration file /etc/auto.master (see
auto.master(5)) by default to find mount points on the system. For each
of those mount points automount(8) will mount and start a thread, with
the appropriate parameters, to manage the mount point.

/etc/init.d/autofs reload will check the current auto.master map
against running daemons. It will kill those daemons whose entries have
changed and then start daemons for new or changed entries.

If a map is modified then the change will become effective immediately.
If the auto.master map is modified then the autofs script must be rerun
to activate the changes.

/etc/init.d/autofs status will display the status of, automount(8)
,running or not.

SEE ALSO
automount(8), autofs(5), auto.master(5).

AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Christoph Lameter <chris@waterf.org>,
for the Debi GNU/Linux system. Edited by H. Peter Anvin <hpa@trans‐
meta.com>.