Old 07-21-2010, 05:49 PM
Tim Henderson

Default rm -R

Quick question. If I rm -R a few files and dirs, are they sent to any
sort of trash, or are they "gone" for good?

In unix I know rm'd files go to .Trash, at least on my versino of
FreeBSD, however not sure about Ubuntu.

Thanks.

--
Tim H.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:55 PM
Tim Henderson

Thanks....

pscan2 hacked I foolishly removed the infected files without cp
-p'ing them to investigate some more.

later.

Tim H.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:22 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 20:49, Tim Henderson <bizdev@pwnspeak.com> wrote:
> Quick question. *If I rm -R a few files and dirs, are they sent to any
> sort of trash, or are they "gone" for good?
>
> In unix I know rm'd files go to .Trash, at least on my versino of
> FreeBSD, however not sure about Ubuntu.

You might like this wisdom:

Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 07-21-2010, 06:34 PM
Asif Iqbal

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 1:49 PM, Tim Henderson <bizdev@pwnspeak.com> wrote:
> Quick question. *If I rm -R a few files and dirs, are they sent to any
> sort of trash, or are they "gone" for good?
>
> In unix I know rm'd files go to .Trash, at least on my versino of
> FreeBSD, however not sure about Ubuntu.

rm does not have any knowledge of .Trash. I think the rm you are using
is an alias or wrapper
which introduces the .Trash.

not only unix, even on windows if you remove (del) from command prompt
it removes the file permanently.

removing through gui is just a wrapper that introduces all kind of tricks

> Thanks.
>
> --
> Tim H.

Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 07-21-2010, 07:00 PM
Tim Henderson