FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Rob
 
Default No Sound in Ubuntu 10.04

Has anyone else had problems with sound in 10.04? I have two desktops
here (the one I'm using now) and another one in another room. I have
10.04 installed on this machine and the sound works fine. It is a
Lenovo A61 Tower w/AMD 64x2 processor.

My other desktop is an Alienware w/500 gig HD and 2 Gig RAM. I have
tried everything I can think of to get sound working including calling
up the Alsa Mixer in a terminal (the Master is always muted which I then
unmute and increase the volume with no effect). I have a SB Audigy 2 ZS
soundcard with Via 8237 chipset.

I know it's not a hardware problem because sound worked fine with prior
versions of Ubuntu (and with a recent version of Dream Linux both from
the live CD and, as installed to hard drive).

If anyone has had similar problems and solved it, I'd sure love to hear
the fix!

Many thanks,
Rob


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-21-2010, 06:15 PM
Mitch Crawford
 
Default No Sound in Ubuntu 10.04

On 21 Jul, Rob <robfleet@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> Has anyone else had problems with sound in 10.04?

> If anyone has had similar problems and solved it, I'd sure love to hear
> the fix!

> Many thanks,
> Rob
Basil Chupin asked me if they have been added to Group - Audio

A Reboot then sorted it

--
Terminal_Crazy

Mitch - 1995 Z28 LT1 M6 terminal_crazy@sand-hill.freeserve.co.uk
Lancashire England http://www.sand-hill.freeserve.co.uk/terminal_crazy/



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-21-2010, 06:28 PM
Pastor JW
 
Default No Sound in Ubuntu 10.04

On Wednesday, July 21, 2010 10:23:41 am Rob wrote:
> Has anyone else had problems with sound in 10.04? I have two desktops
> here (the one I'm using now) and another one in another room. I have
> 10.04 installed on this machine and the sound works fine. It is a
> Lenovo A61 Tower w/AMD 64x2 processor.
>
> My other desktop is an Alienware w/500 gig HD and 2 Gig RAM. I have
> tried everything I can think of to get sound working including calling
> up the Alsa Mixer in a terminal (the Master is always muted which I then
> unmute and increase the volume with no effect). I have a SB Audigy 2 ZS
> soundcard with Via 8237 chipset.
>
> I know it's not a hardware problem because sound worked fine with prior
> versions of Ubuntu (and with a recent version of Dream Linux both from
> the live CD and, as installed to hard drive).
>
> If anyone has had similar problems and solved it, I'd sure love to hear
> the fix!

Check the mixer window and see if the "PCM" setting is at zero or muted or if
the slider is even there. That was all that was wrong with mine in 10.04.
The slider can be added via Settings > Configure Channels.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/the_original_inner_circle
http://h.webring.com/hub?ring=universalministr

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-22-2010, 02:17 AM
Rob
 
Default No Sound in Ubuntu 10.04

On Wed, 2010-07-21 at 11:28 -0700, Pastor JW wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 21, 2010 10:23:41 am Rob wrote:
> > Has anyone else had problems with sound in 10.04? I have two desktops
> > here (the one I'm using now) and another one in another room. I have
> > 10.04 installed on this machine and the sound works fine. It is a
> > Lenovo A61 Tower w/AMD 64x2 processor.
> >
> > My other desktop is an Alienware w/500 gig HD and 2 Gig RAM. I have
> > tried everything I can think of to get sound working including calling
> > up the Alsa Mixer in a terminal (the Master is always muted which I then
> > unmute and increase the volume with no effect). I have a SB Audigy 2 ZS
> > soundcard with Via 8237 chipset.
> >
> > I know it's not a hardware problem because sound worked fine with prior
> > versions of Ubuntu (and with a recent version of Dream Linux both from
> > the live CD and, as installed to hard drive).
> >
> > If anyone has had similar problems and solved it, I'd sure love to hear
> > the fix!
>
> Check the mixer window and see if the "PCM" setting is at zero or muted or if
> the slider is even there. That was all that was wrong with mine in 10.04.
> The slider can be added via Settings > Configure Channels.
>
> --
> 73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< PDGA# 35276
> http://the-inner-circle.org _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/the_original_inner_circle
> http://h.webring.com/hub?ring=universalministr

Thanks for the reply JW. I have the PCM column in Alsamixer and it is
not set at zero or muted -- the slider is there, so that mustn't be
it...any other ideas?

I just don't understand why I have no problems in 10.04 on this machine
but (using the same installation source), I do ont he machine in
question.

Rob



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-22-2010, 02:19 AM
Rob
 
Default No Sound in Ubuntu 10.04

On Wed, 2010-07-21 at 19:15 +0100, Mitch Crawford wrote:
> On 21 Jul, Rob <robfleet@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>
> > Has anyone else had problems with sound in 10.04?
>
> > If anyone has had similar problems and solved it, I'd sure love to hear
> > the fix!
>
> > Many thanks,
> > Rob
> Basil Chupin asked me if they have been added to Group - Audio
>
> A Reboot then sorted it
>
> --
> Terminal_Crazy
>
> Mitch - 1995 Z28 LT1 M6 terminal_crazy@sand-hill.freeserve.co.uk
> Lancashire England http://www.sand-hill.freeserve.co.uk/terminal_crazy/

Hi Mitch,

Could you elaborate please? I'm not sure I'm following you here --
"...if they have been added to Group - Audio A Reboot then sorted
it..." Could you restate the suggestion since I'm not sure I'm
understanding it with only the words and the sentence construction you
have supplied above.

Many thanks.

Rob



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Frans Ketelaars
 
Default No Sound in Ubuntu 10.04

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 13:23:41 -0400, Rob wrote:

> Has anyone else had problems with sound in 10.04? I have two desktops
> here (the one I'm using now) and another one in another room. I have
> 10.04 installed on this machine and the sound works fine. It is a
> Lenovo A61 Tower w/AMD 64x2 processor.
>
> My other desktop is an Alienware w/500 gig HD and 2 Gig RAM. I have
> tried everything I can think of to get sound working including calling
> up the Alsa Mixer in a terminal (the Master is always muted which I then
> unmute and increase the volume with no effect). I have a SB Audigy 2 ZS
> soundcard with Via 8237 chipset.
>
> I know it's not a hardware problem because sound worked fine with prior
> versions of Ubuntu (and with a recent version of Dream Linux both from
> the live CD and, as installed to hard drive).
>
> If anyone has had similar problems and solved it, I'd sure love to hear
> the fix!
>
> Many thanks,
> Rob

I think that you have two soundcards: the onboard Via 8237 and the
Audigy 2 ZS . You can check with "cat /proc/asound/cards".

The Audigy 2 ZS needs firmware AFAIK. On Ubuntu 8.04 I found two related
packages: alsa-firmware-loaders and alsa-firmware. Note that the latter
is in the Medibuntu repository.

See "man alsamixer" on how to control both sounddevices.

If you only want to use the Audigy 2 ZS you could blacklist the Via 8237
module, in Ubuntu 8.04 it's called snd-via82xx. I don't know where to do
that though

Good luck!

-Frans


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-22-2010, 05:19 PM
Rob
 
Default No Sound in Ubuntu 10.04

On Thu, 2010-07-22 at 12:53 +0000, Frans Ketelaars wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 13:23:41 -0400, Rob wrote:
>
> > Has anyone else had problems with sound in 10.04? I have two desktops
> > here (the one I'm using now) and another one in another room. I have
> > 10.04 installed on this machine and the sound works fine. It is a
> > Lenovo A61 Tower w/AMD 64x2 processor.
> >
> > My other desktop is an Alienware w/500 gig HD and 2 Gig RAM. I have
> > tried everything I can think of to get sound working including calling
> > up the Alsa Mixer in a terminal (the Master is always muted which I then
> > unmute and increase the volume with no effect). I have a SB Audigy 2 ZS
> > soundcard with Via 8237 chipset.
> >
> > I know it's not a hardware problem because sound worked fine with prior
> > versions of Ubuntu (and with a recent version of Dream Linux both from
> > the live CD and, as installed to hard drive).
> >
> > If anyone has had similar problems and solved it, I'd sure love to hear
> > the fix!
> >
> > Many thanks,
> > Rob
>
> I think that you have two soundcards: the onboard Via 8237 and the
> Audigy 2 ZS . You can check with "cat /proc/asound/cards".
>
> The Audigy 2 ZS needs firmware AFAIK. On Ubuntu 8.04 I found two related
> packages: alsa-firmware-loaders and alsa-firmware. Note that the latter
> is in the Medibuntu repository.
>
> See "man alsamixer" on how to control both sounddevices.
>
> If you only want to use the Audigy 2 ZS you could blacklist the Via 8237
> module, in Ubuntu 8.04 it's called snd-via82xx. I don't know where to do
> that though
>
> Good luck!
>
> -Frans

Frans,

You were right on target!! I have disabled the onboard via 8237 sound
device, performed a cold reboot and now have sound. (This is after
upgrading the ALSA mixer.) But all now works. Thanks much.

Rob



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:09 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org