-   -   Automount nfs set up problem (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/402224-automount-nfs-set-up-problem.html)

Peng Yu 07-21-2010 03:46 PM

Automount nfs set up problem

Hi,

I'm following the following webpage.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNFSHowTo#Automounter

I newly installed autofs

$ sudo apt-get install autofs

I created the directory /autofs. The I added the following line to
/etc/auto.master

/autofs /etc/auto.home

The edit the file /etc/auto.home by adding the following line.

$ cat /etc/auto.home

* xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/home/&

, where I adapted the line from /etc/fstab.

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/home /home nfs rw 0 0

Then I tried the following command to start it up.

$ sudo /etc/init.d/autofs start
Rather than invoking init scripts through /etc/init.d, use the service(8)
utility, e.g. service autofs start

Since the script you are attempting to invoke has been converted to an
Upstart job, you may also use the start(8) utility, e.g. service autofs start

#####
Since it asks me to use 'service', then I try the following command.
But it doens't seem to be working.

$ service autofs start
start: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call",
sender=":1.57" (uid=1100 pid=4064 comm="start)
interface="com.ubuntu.Upstart0_6.Job" member="Start" error
name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination="com.ubuntu.Upstart"
(uid=0 pid=1 comm="/sbin/init"))

I'm not sure what the problems are. Would you please let me know how
to automount nfs or point me a better webpage?

Peng

Tom H 07-21-2010 04:08 PM

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm following the following webpage.
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNFSHowTo#Automounter
>
> I newly installed autofs
>
> $ sudo apt-get install autofs
>
> I created the directory /autofs. The I added the following line to
> /etc/auto.master
>
> /autofs /etc/auto.home
>

> The edit the file /etc/auto.home by adding the following line.
>
> $ cat /etc/auto.home
>
> * * * * *xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/home/&
>
> , where I adapted the line from /etc/fstab.
>
> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/home * */home * nfs * * rw * * *0 * * * 0
>
> Then I tried the following command to start it up.
>
> $ sudo /etc/init.d/autofs start
> Rather than invoking init scripts through /etc/init.d, use the service(8)
> utility, e.g. service autofs start
>
> Since the script you are attempting to invoke has been converted to an
> Upstart job, you may also use the start(8) utility, e.g. service autofs start
>

> #####
> Since it asks me to use 'service', then I try the following command.
> But it doens't seem to be working.
>
> $ service autofs start
> start: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call",
> sender=":1.57" (uid=1100 pid=4064 comm="start)
> interface="com.ubuntu.Upstart0_6.Job" member="Start" error
> name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination="com.ubuntu.Upstart"
> (uid=0 pid=1 comm="/sbin/init"))
>
> I'm not sure what the problems are. Would you please let me know how
> to automount nfs or point me a better webpage?

sudo service autofs start
or
sudo start autofs

Peng Yu 07-21-2010 08:12 PM

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 11:08 AM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm following the following webpage.
>>
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNFSHowTo#Automounter
>>
>> I newly installed autofs
>>
>> $ sudo apt-get install autofs
>>
>> I created the directory /autofs. The I added the following line to
>> /etc/auto.master
>>
>> /autofs /etc/auto.home
>>

>> The edit the file /etc/auto.home by adding the following line.
>>
>> $ cat /etc/auto.home
>>
>> * * * * *xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/home/&
>>
>> , where I adapted the line from /etc/fstab.
>>
>> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/home * */home * nfs * * rw * * *0 * * * 0
>>
>> Then I tried the following command to start it up.
>>
>> $ sudo /etc/init.d/autofs start
>> Rather than invoking init scripts through /etc/init.d, use the service(8)
>> utility, e.g. service autofs start
>>
>> Since the script you are attempting to invoke has been converted to an
>> Upstart job, you may also use the start(8) utility, e.g. service autofs start
>>

>> #####
>> Since it asks me to use 'service', then I try the following command.
>> But it doens't seem to be working.
>>
>> $ service autofs start
>> start: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call",
>> sender=":1.57" (uid=1100 pid=4064 comm="start)
>> interface="com.ubuntu.Upstart0_6.Job" member="Start" error
>> name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination="com.ubuntu.Upstart"
>> (uid=0 pid=1 comm="/sbin/init"))
>>
>> I'm not sure what the problems are. Would you please let me know how
>> to automount nfs or point me a better webpage?
>
> sudo service autofs start
> or
> sudo start autofs

I was silly not to see that I should have used sudo. Thank you!

I have another simple question below.

I have the following lines in my /etc/fstab. I want migrate them to autofs.

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/data /data nfs rw 0 0
yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy:/pearson/data /pearson/data nfs rw 0
zzz.zzz.zzz.zzz:/storage /storage nfs rw 0

Should I create a different file say /etc/auto.something and add the
following line to /etc/auto.master,

/ /etc/auto.something

where in auto.something, I have the following lines?

data xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/data
pearson/data yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy:/pearson/data
storage zzz.zzz.zzz.zzz:/storage

Would you please let me know where this is correct? Or what is the
correct way if it is incorrect?

Peng

Tom H 07-21-2010 09:55 PM

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 4:12 PM, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 11:08 AM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm following the following webpage.
>>>
>>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNFSHowTo#Automounter
>>>
>>> I newly installed autofs
>>>
>>> $ sudo apt-get install autofs
>>>
>>> I created the directory /autofs. The I added the following line to
>>> /etc/auto.master
>>>
>>> /autofs /etc/auto.home
>>>

>>> The edit the file /etc/auto.home by adding the following line.
>>>
>>> $ cat /etc/auto.home
>>>
>>> * * * * *xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/home/&
>>>
>>> , where I adapted the line from /etc/fstab.
>>>
>>> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/home * */home * nfs * * rw * * *0 * * * 0
>>>
>>> Then I tried the following command to start it up.
>>>
>>> $ sudo /etc/init.d/autofs start
>>> Rather than invoking init scripts through /etc/init.d, use the service(8)
>>> utility, e.g. service autofs start
>>>
>>> Since the script you are attempting to invoke has been converted to an
>>> Upstart job, you may also use the start(8) utility, e.g. service autofs start
>>>

>>> #####
>>> Since it asks me to use 'service', then I try the following command.
>>> But it doens't seem to be working.
>>>
>>> $ service autofs start
>>> start: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call",
>>> sender=":1.57" (uid=1100 pid=4064 comm="start)
>>> interface="com.ubuntu.Upstart0_6.Job" member="Start" error
>>> name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination="com.ubuntu.Upstart"
>>> (uid=0 pid=1 comm="/sbin/init"))
>>>
>>> I'm not sure what the problems are. Would you please let me know how
>>> to automount nfs or point me a better webpage?
>>
>> sudo service autofs start
>> or
>> sudo start autofs
>
> I was silly not to see that I should have used sudo. Thank you!
>
> I have another simple question below.
>
> I have the following lines in my /etc/fstab. I want migrate them to autofs.
>
> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/data * */data * nfs * * rw * * *0 * * * 0
> yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy:/pearson/data * */pearson/data * nfs * * rw * * *0
> zzz.zzz.zzz.zzz:/storage * */storage * nfs * * rw * * *0
>
> Should I create a different file say /etc/auto.something and add the
> following line to /etc/auto.master,
>
> / * * /etc/auto.something
>
> where in auto.something, I have the following lines?
>
> data * * * xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/data
> pearson/data * yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy:/pearson/data
> storage * * *zzz.zzz.zzz.zzz:/storage
>

> Would you please let me know where this is correct? Or what is the
> correct way if it is incorrect?

In /etc/auto.master
/- /etc/auto.something

In /etc/auto.something