-   -   Hostname (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/401862-hostname.html)

Henry Wyatt 07-20-2010 09:27 PM

Hostname

Changed user name, now at boot- up I have the following message:

init hostname main process (342) terminated with status 1

Henry E. Wyatt, Jr.

Tom H 07-20-2010 09:39 PM

Hostname

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 5:27 PM, Henry Wyatt <hewjr1000@gmail.com> wrote:
> Changed user name, now at boot- up I have the following message:
>
> init hostname main process (342) terminated with status 1

I assume that you mean "Changed host name".

What did you change it to?

Phil Dobbin 10-11-2012 07:15 AM

Hostname

Hi, all.

A very basic question but I'm wondering if anyone could give me a
definitive answer.

I recently installed CentOS 6.3 x86_64 on a Dell Poweredge 1850 (minimal
desktop) & after setting the hostname during the install, when bringing
up a terminal prompt, I'm still getting `localhost.localdomain` instead
of the hostname I set during install (interestingly enough both parted &
fdisk both show the correct hostname).

After Googling the subject somewhat, it seems to be no definitive,
correct way that everybody agreed upon.

I'm away from my CentOS boxes for the morning (including the one in
question) but on my Fedora 17 laptop, I notice that the given hostname
is set in `/etc/sysconfig/network` but in `/etc/hosts`, it's
`localhost.localdomain` & `localhost`.

If I set my errant CentOS box the same way (all the others I have are
OK), will this do the trick?

Sorry for the basicness of the question but I'll be disabling the screen
capabilities of the server this afternoon & putting her in situ & would
like to get it right.

Any help appreciated,

Cheers,

Phil...

--
currently (ab)using
CentOS 6.3, Debian Squeeze, Fedora Beefy, OS X Snow Leopard, Ubuntu Precise

Leon Fauster 10-11-2012 07:34 AM

Hostname

Am 11.10.2012 um 09:15 schrieb Phil Dobbin:
> I recently installed CentOS 6.3 x86_64 on a Dell Poweredge 1850 (minimal
> desktop) & after setting the hostname during the install, when bringing
> up a terminal prompt, I'm still getting `localhost.localdomain` instead
> of the hostname I set during install (interestingly enough both parted &
> fdisk both show the correct hostname).

What is the output of

$ hostname -f

?

> After Googling the subject somewhat, it seems to be no definitive,
> correct way that everybody agreed upon.
>
> I'm away from my CentOS boxes for the morning (including the one in
> question) but on my Fedora 17 laptop, I notice that the given hostname
> is set in `/etc/sysconfig/network` but in `/etc/hosts`, it's
> `localhost.localdomain` & `localhost`.

in /etc/hosts

the non-local ip should have your hostname.
the local ip should have localhost e.g.

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
10.1.1.1 myhost.mydomain.tld

in /etc/sysconfig/network

set you hostname corresponding with the entry in /etc/hosts

and then reboot

Regards

--
LF

Phil Dobbin 10-11-2012 05:10 PM

Hostname

Leon Fauster wrote:
> Am 11.10.2012 um 09:15 schrieb Phil Dobbin:
>> I recently installed CentOS 6.3 x86_64 on a Dell Poweredge 1850 (minimal
>> desktop) & after setting the hostname during the install, when bringing
>> up a terminal prompt, I'm still getting `localhost.localdomain` instead
>> of the hostname I set during install (interestingly enough both parted &
>> fdisk both show the correct hostname).
>

> What is the output of
>
> $ hostname -f
>
> ?
>

>> After Googling the subject somewhat, it seems to be no definitive,
>> correct way that everybody agreed upon.
>>
>> I'm away from my CentOS boxes for the morning (including the one in
>> question) but on my Fedora 17 laptop, I notice that the given hostname
>> is set in `/etc/sysconfig/network` but in `/etc/hosts`, it's
>> `localhost.localdomain` & `localhost`.
>

> in /etc/hosts
>
> the non-local ip should have your hostname.
> the local ip should have localhost e.g.
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
> 10.1.1.1 myhost.mydomain.tld
>
> in /etc/sysconfig/network
>
> set you hostname corresponding with the entry in /etc/hosts
>
> and then reboot

Thanks, Leon.

Clear, concise & worked perfectly.

Cheers,