-   -   complete ubuntu manual (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/401820-complete-ubuntu-manual.html)

Peng Yu 07-20-2010 07:50 PM

complete ubuntu manual

I see redhat has the following manual. I'm wondering if ubuntu has a
similar manual like it. I found a wiki
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Lucid. But it seems that it is not
complete as it doesn't include, for example, autofs.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/custom-guide/s1-nfs-mount.html

Peng

Gordon Burgess-Parker 07-20-2010 08:01 PM

complete ubuntu manual

On 20/07/10 20:50, Peng Yu wrote:
> I see redhat has the following manual. I'm wondering if ubuntu has a
> similar manual like it. I found a wiki
> http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Lucid. But it seems that it is not
> complete as it doesn't include, for example, autofs.
>
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/custom-guide/s1-nfs-mount.html

Quite a few here:
http://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=Free+Ubuntu+manu al&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Colin Law 07-20-2010 08:02 PM

complete ubuntu manual

On 20 July 2010 20:50, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut@gmail.com> wrote:
> I see redhat has the following manual. I'm wondering if ubuntu has a
> similar manual like it. I found a wiki
> http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Lucid. But it seems that it is not
> complete as it doesn't include, for example, autofs.

There is http://ubuntu-manual.org/ though I cannot comment on whether
it is as complete as you want.

Colin

Dave Stevens 07-20-2010 08:03 PM

complete ubuntu manual

Quoting Peng Yu <pengyu.ut@gmail.com>:

> I see redhat has the following manual. I'm wondering if ubuntu has a
> similar manual like it. I found a wiki
> http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Lucid. But it seems that it is not
> complete as it doesn't include, for example, autofs.
>
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/custom-guide/s1-nfs-mount.html
>
> --
> Regards,
> Peng

Hi Peng.

I think your question is a little imprecise, is it EVERYTHING you want
to read up on? or filesystems or networking or what? And redhat 7.3 is
very old and outdated. Searching for RHEL 5 docs would be more nearly
relevant.

Dave

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
Krishnamurti

Karl Larsen 07-20-2010 08:14 PM

complete ubuntu manual

On 07/20/2010 02:02 PM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 20 July 2010 20:50, Peng Yu<pengyu.ut@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I see redhat has the following manual. I'm wondering if ubuntu has a
>> similar manual like it. I found a wiki
>> http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Lucid. But it seems that it is not
>> complete as it doesn't include, for example, autofs.
>>
> There is http://ubuntu-manual.org/ though I cannot comment on whether
> it is as complete as you want.
>
> Colin

I went to http://ubuntu-manual.org/ and got a very nice pdf
manual for 10.04 and it is very complete. However, I searched for autofs
but it could not find it :-(

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Peng Yu 07-20-2010 08:28 PM

complete ubuntu manual

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 3:03 PM, Dave Stevens <geek@uniserve.com> wrote:
> Quoting Peng Yu <pengyu.ut@gmail.com>:
>
>> I see redhat has the following manual. I'm wondering if ubuntu has a
>> similar manual like it. I found a wiki
>> http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Lucid. But it seems that it is not
>> complete as it doesn't include, for example, autofs.
>>

>> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/custom-guide/s1-nfs-mount.html
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Peng
>
> Hi Peng.
>
> I think your question is a little imprecise, is it EVERYTHING you want to
> read up on? or filesystems or networking or what? And redhat 7.3 is very old
> and outdated. Searching for RHEL 5 docs would be more nearly relevant.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I want to manual that include
everything that a system administrator might need to know. Although
this maybe too broad, at least I want the manual to have some
references when more details are needed.

I could search and had searched in google whenever I need something.
But I feels that the information are scattered and hard to get a clear
picture unless I have a solid foundation on linux administrative
issues (I have general computer knowledge, but lacks the
administrative knowledge). Filesystems and networking are maybe
clustering are the area that I don't quite understand. These are some
related topics. Any googled document will only give me a incomplete
picture. I'd like something that is more coherent.

Are these set of redhat document you refers to? What are the
difference between ubuntu and redhat? To what extent these documents
can be used for ubuntu?

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/index.html

In some institutes and companies that I know, only many major
computation servers or clusters are set up with RedHat, desktops and
other non serious computation computers are set up with Debian/Ubuntu.
I'm wondering what are the difference between RedHat and Debian/Ubuntu
on this aspect, although I know that Debian/Ubuntu have more packages
available than RedHat which may be actually convenient if many
different packages need to be installed?

Peng

Peng Yu 07-20-2010 08:28 PM

complete ubuntu manual

Tom H 07-20-2010 08:31 PM

complete ubuntu manual

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 3:50 PM, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut@gmail.com> wrote:
> I see redhat has the following manual. I'm wondering if ubuntu has a
> similar manual like it. I found a wiki
> http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Lucid. But it seems that it is not
> complete as it doesn't include, for example, autofs.
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/custom-guide/s1-nfs-mount.html

This is a very old RHL 7.3 url but it is probably still valid (I
didn't read it). The current RHEL 5.5 url for autofs is
http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5.5/html/Deployment_Guide/s1-nfs-client-config-autofs.html

The Ubuntu autofs page is
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Autofs

And the Ubuntu server guide is
https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/
but it doesn't include an autofs section, AFAICT.

Karl Larsen 07-20-2010 08:34 PM

complete ubuntu manual

On 07/20/2010 02:03 PM, Dave Stevens wrote:
> Quoting Peng Yu<pengyu.ut@gmail.com>:
>

>> I see redhat has the following manual. I'm wondering if ubuntu has a
>> similar manual like it. I found a wiki
>> http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Lucid. But it seems that it is not
>> complete as it doesn't include, for example, autofs.

Snip -

I was interested when I opened a terminal and put in autofs and hit
enter. It said no such thing in your 10.04. Next I decided to see if it
could be d/l from Ubuntu. This I just simulated but you can see it is
available but not a part of the normal 10.04 system. Here is what I got :

karl@Lucid:~$ sudo apt-get -s install autofs
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
autofs5 libgssglue1 libnfsidmap2 librpcsecgss3 nfs-common portmap
autofs autofs5 libgssglue1 libnfsidmap2 librpcsecgss3 nfs-common portmap
0 upgraded, 7 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Inst libgssglue1 (0.1-4 Ubuntu:10.04/lucid)
Inst libnfsidmap2 (0.23-2 Ubuntu:10.04/lucid)
Inst librpcsecgss3 (0.19-2 Ubuntu:10.04/lucid)
Inst portmap (6.0.0-1ubuntu2 Ubuntu:10.04/lucid)
Inst nfs-common (1:1.2.0-4ubuntu4 Ubuntu:10.04/lucid)
Inst autofs5 (5.0.4-3.1ubuntu5 Ubuntu:10.04/lucid)
Inst autofs (5.0.4-3.1ubuntu5 Ubuntu:10.04/lucid)
Conf libgssglue1 (0.1-4 Ubuntu:10.04/lucid)
Conf libnfsidmap2 (0.23-2 Ubuntu:10.04/lucid)
Conf librpcsecgss3 (0.19-2 Ubuntu:10.04/lucid)
Conf portmap (6.0.0-1ubuntu2 Ubuntu:10.04/lucid)
Conf nfs-common (1:1.2.0-4ubuntu4 Ubuntu:10.04/lucid)
Conf autofs5 (5.0.4-3.1ubuntu5 Ubuntu:10.04/lucid)
Conf autofs (5.0.4-3.1ubuntu5 Ubuntu:10.04/lucid)

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Peng Yu 07-20-2010 08:35 PM

complete ubuntu manual

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 3:31 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 3:50 PM, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I see redhat has the following manual. I'm wondering if ubuntu has a
>> similar manual like it. I found a wiki
>> http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Lucid. But it seems that it is not
>> complete as it doesn't include, for example, autofs.
>> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/custom-guide/s1-nfs-mount.html
>
> This is a very old RHL 7.3 url but it is probably still valid (I
> didn't read it). The current RHEL 5.5 url for autofs is
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5.5/html/Deployment_Guide/s1-nfs-client-config-autofs.html

Just to make my OP clear. I didn't say RHL 7.3 is the current one. I'm
just saying Ubuntu manual is incomplete.

> The Ubuntu autofs page is
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Autofs
>
> And the Ubuntu server guide is
> https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/
> but it doesn't include an autofs section, AFAICT.

This again demonstrates that ubuntu manual is not complete.

Peng