Old 07-20-2010, 09:02 PM
NoOp

Default complete ubuntu manual

On 07/20/2010 12:50 PM, Peng Yu wrote:
> I see redhat has the following manual. I'm wondering if ubuntu has a
> similar manual like it. I found a wiki
> http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Lucid. But it seems that it is not
> complete as it doesn't include, for example, autofs.

https://help.ubuntu.com/
https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/index.html
And of course you can enter 'autofs' in the search box.
Also:
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/en/man8/autofs.8.html

Or go buy Ubuntu Unleashed 2010 Edition: Covering 9.10 and 10.4 (5th
Edition).

Old 07-20-2010, 09:18 PM
Tom H

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 4:35 PM, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 3:31 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 3:50 PM, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I see redhat has the following manual. I'm wondering if ubuntu has a
>>> similar manual like it. I found a wiki
>>> http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Lucid. But it seems that it is not
>>> complete as it doesn't include, for example, autofs.
>>> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/custom-guide/s1-nfs-mount.html
>>
>> This is a very old RHL 7.3 url but it is probably still valid (I
>> didn't read it). The current RHEL 5.5 url for autofs is
>> http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5.5/html/Deployment_Guide/s1-nfs-client-config-autofs.html
>
> Just to make my OP clear. I didn't say RHL 7.3 is the current one. I'm
> just saying Ubuntu manual is incomplete.

No comment

>> The Ubuntu autofs page is
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Autofs
>>
>> And the Ubuntu server guide is
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/
>> but it doesn't include an autofs section, AFAICT.
>
> This again demonstrates that ubuntu manual is not complete.

Completeness is relative although I have said before that, in general,
Ubuntu documentation is weaker/less well-organized than that of other
distributions.

Regarding autofs in particular, the serverguide writers may have
decided that it wasn't relevant and/or that the help.ubuntu.com page
was sufficient. For example, Fedora's documentation also skips autofs:
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/13/html-single/Installation_Guide/index.html
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/13/html-single/Managing_Confined_Services/index.html