Old 07-20-2010, 11:35 AM
satya narayana

Default Satya

Hi,

I am facing one typical problem in ubuntu installation. i am trying to install ubuntu 9.10 Desktop edition in old machine. machine configuration is 512 MB RAM, Intel PIV Processor, 80 GB Hardisk. Installation is completing successfully and i am able to login the system after the installation. then i shot down the system and* started next day it is giving one error (press Ctrl+D for continue or give root password for maintenance) there cursor is blinking. I am maintaining 60 PC's Ubuntu networking. This would troubling me a lot. please give me a solution.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
satya,
cutenest9
Satya

Old 07-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Loïc Grenié

2010/7/20 satya narayana <cutenest9@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I am facing one typical problem in ubuntu installation. i am trying to
> install ubuntu 9.10 Desktop edition in old machine. machine configuration is
> 512 MB RAM, Intel PIV Processor, 80 GB Hardisk. Installation is completing
> successfully and i am able to login the system after the installation. then
> i shot down the system and* started next day
> it is giving one error (press Ctrl+D for continue or give root password for
> maintenance) there cursor is blinking.

You may have a filesystem error.

A typical Ubuntu installation does not have a root password. You only have
one choice at that point: either you go on booting (giving CTRL+D) -- but this
is rather dangerous if the filesystem is corrupt; or you turn the
computer off,
boot on the CD and try to repair the filesystem (sorry I'm not expert).

If the hard disk is broken, you'll probably not manage to have a
good user experience.

<unrelated rant>
Why, ohhh why, is there no root password in the typical Ubuntu
installation ?
</unrelated rant>

Loïc

Old 07-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

Satya,

On 20 July 2010 12:35, satya narayana <cutenest9@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am facing one typical problem in ubuntu installation. i am trying to
> install ubuntu 9.10 Desktop edition in old machine. machine configuration is
> 512 MB RAM, Intel PIV Processor, 80 GB Hardisk. Installation is completing
> successfully and i am able to login the system after the installation. then
> i shot down the system and* started next day it is giving one error (press
> Ctrl+D for continue or give root password for maintenance) there cursor is
> blinking. I am maintaining 60 PC's Ubuntu networking. This would troubling
> me a lot. please give me a solution.

Not shooting your system is a good idea! I'm not sure if the disks
will survive the bullets!

You haven't reported the actual message but this usually happens when
you have a corrupt file system which wants to be fsck'ed. Give the
password, run fsck on your disks. Once you log back in, install
smartmontools and run diagnostics on your disk with the command
smartctl.. Most likely that they are on their way out. 80GB disks tend
to be relatively old and you might have an imminent failure ahead of
you.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:16 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

On 20 July 2010 13:11, Loïc Grenié <loic.grenie@gmail.com> wrote:
> <unrelated rant>
> * *Why, ohhh why, is there no root password in the typical Ubuntu
> * *installation *?
> </unrelated rant>
Not exactly unrelated. If Ubuntu wants to have no root password, it
must also modify the tools so that they don't prompt for it.
Clearly it doesn't stop anyone from setting a password (I always do)
but such issues are surely annoying.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:21 PM
Loïc Grenié

2010/7/20 Hakan Koseoglu <hakan@koseoglu.org>:
> On 20 July 2010 13:11, Loïc Grenié <loic.grenie@gmail.com> wrote:
>> <unrelated rant>
>> * *Why, ohhh why, is there no root password in the typical Ubuntu
>> * *installation *?
>> </unrelated rant>
> Not exactly unrelated. If Ubuntu wants to have no root password, it
> must also modify the tools so that they don't prompt for it.
> Clearly it doesn't stop anyone from setting a password (I always do)
> but such issues are surely annoying.

Indeed. But why not ask for a root password ? Without root password,
if you misspell your user password you have a big problem. I've also had
the problem of needing to change the uid of the user (to unify the uids
of two different computers) => sudo broke.

Loïc

Old 07-20-2010, 01:46 PM
Robert Steinmetz AIA

Title: Signature

satya narayana wrote:
Hi,

I am facing one typical problem in ubuntu installation. i am trying to
install ubuntu 9.10 Desktop edition in old machine. machine
configuration is 512 MB RAM, Intel PIV Processor, 80 GB Hardisk.
Installation is completing successfully and i am able to login the
system after the installation. then i shot down the system and* started
next day it is giving one error (press Ctrl+D for continue or give root
password for maintenance) there cursor is blinking. I am maintaining 60
PC's Ubuntu networking. This would troubling me a lot. please give me a
solution.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

satya,

cutenest9

Satya

Most likely you have a file system that need checking.

Boot with a live CD and fsck the file system, use the -f option to
force a recheck even if it says it's clean, reboot.

You should be good to go.

Then create a root password. If you have 60 machines you are
maintaining with Ubuntu that is an easy one time task.

--

Robert
Steinmetz,

Principal

Steinmetz & Associates

Old 07-20-2010, 03:38 PM
Pastor JW

On Tuesday, July 20, 2010 5:11:36 am Loïc Grenié wrote:

> Why, ohhh why, is there no root password in the typical Ubuntu
> installation ?

Because, people who ask this question are typically way too inexperienced in
their use of a Ubuntu system to be trusted with root and would render their
system broken beyond recovery. A second obvious reason would be, because no-
one has ever given a GOOD reason to have a root password!

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403

Old 07-20-2010, 03:45 PM
Loïc Grenié

2010/7/20 Pastor JW <pastor_jw@the-inner-circle.org>:
> On Tuesday, July 20, 2010 5:11:36 am Loïc Grenié wrote:
>>
>> * * Why, ohhh why, is there no root password in the typical Ubuntu
>> * * installation *?
>
> Because, people who ask this question are typically way too inexperienced in
> their use of a Ubuntu system to be trusted with root and would render their
> system broken beyond recovery.

With sudo powers you can do exactly the same: sudo -i

> *A second obvious reason would be, because no-one has ever given
> a GOOD reason to have a root password!

Filesystem broken beyond fsck -a ?

Loïc

Old 07-21-2010, 12:40 AM
C de-Avillez

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 17:45:06 +0200
Loïc Grenié <loic.grenie@gmail.com> wrote:

> > *A second obvious reason would be, because no-one has ever given
> > a GOOD reason to have a root password!
>
> Filesystem broken beyond fsck -a ?

But you still you do not need it:

1. you can boot in recovery mode, and will get root access;
2. you can always 'sudo -i' and work from there.

In reality, there is no need for a root password.

Cheers,