Old 07-20-2010, 07:27 AM
muhamad nabulsi

Default external hard disk

hallo,

i have an external hard disk which came with a software for PC.

in the same time i made a file and i could use the totality of it without installing the software that came with it...

yesterday my friend came and also connected his hard disk to exchange data between mine and his via my comp.

after finishing the exchange of data i couldn't access to my hard disk which i have all my life in it! and here is the message i received each time i try to get in:

** Unable to mount My Book

Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 13: $MFTMirr does not match $MFT (record 0).
Failed to mount '/dev/sdb1': Input/output error
NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a
SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first
case run chkdsk /f on Windows
then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very
important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate
it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g.
/dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation
for more details.

if anyone can help me please?

Old 07-20-2010, 09:03 AM
Basil Chupin

On 20/07/10 17:27, muhamad nabulsi wrote:
> hallo,
>
> i have an external hard disk which came with a software for PC.
>
> in the same time i made a file and i could use the totality of it
> without installing the software that came with it...
>
> yesterday my friend came and also connected his hard disk to exchange
> data between mine and his via my comp.
>
> after finishing the exchange of data i couldn't access to my hard disk
> which i have all my life in it! and here is the message i received
> each time i try to get in:
>
> Unable to mount My Book
>
> Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 13: $MFTMirr does not
> match $MFT (record 0).
> Failed to mount '/dev/sdb1': Input/output error
> NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a
> SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
> then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very
> important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate
> it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g.
> /dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation
> for more details.
>
> if anyone can help me please?

If you are using Windows and simply disconnect a USB device such as the
HD or a flash memory stick you will have trouble with having it
recognised by, say, Linux (or vice versa for that matter I believe).

When you want to remove a USB device such as an HD you need to SAFELY
REMOVE it and not simply unplugging it. By Safely Remove-ing it, Windows
writes to the device showing that it no longer is used and is now "closed".

To get it "work" again, boot into Windows and then Safely Remove the device.

(Always do same when using Linux - you will see the option to either
Eject the device (CDROM/CDRW) or Safely Remove (for anything USB0 and
it's the last one that you need to do for an external HD connected using
USB.)

Hope this has helped.

BC

--
And God created Woman; and to repent He then created Beer.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:21 PM
muhamad nabulsi

ok sorry not to mention that i have ubuntu 9.10 karmic koala.

so,*
my external hard disk is called WD and it always worked so good on my linux until my friend came and connected his hard disk next to mine and we started exchanging files and films...
when i disconnected his and try to access mine this is the message:

Unable to mount My Book

> Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 13: $MFTMirr does not
> match $MFT (record 0).
> Failed to mount '/dev/sdb1': Input/output error
> NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a
> SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
> then reboot into Windows twice.
The usage of the /f parameter is very
> important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate
> it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g.
> /dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation
> for more details.

so now i went to another computer (pc) and connected the H disk and eject it as normal and back to my ubuntu and connect and i have the same message!

*

Old 07-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Liam Proven

On 20 July 2010 14:21, muhamad nabulsi <muhnabulsi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> so now i went to another computer (pc) and connected the H disk and eject it
> as normal and back to my ubuntu and connect and i have the same message!

Do what the message tells you to do. Connect the hard disk to a
computer running Windows XP or newer and run "CHKDSK /F" on it.

No, you can't do this from Ubuntu (to the best of my knowledge). To
fix a Windows disk you need a Windows computer.

It may be that your friend with Windows does not know how to safely
eject drives, in which case it's up to you to teach him.

--
Liam Proven • Profile & links: http://www.google.com/profiles/lproven

Tue Jul 20 17:30:01 2010