Old 07-20-2010, 06:47 AM
John D Lamb

Default where is the recently accessed file list stored

On Tue, 2010-07-20 at 11:32 +0800, yu huang wrote:
> I want to have a menu item in places where records the recent accessed
> directory.
> I am wondering where is the recent accessed document list stored in
> ubuntu?
> How does ubuntu track the recently accessed file?

There is no recently accessed file list. As far as I know no operating
system _automatically_ maintains such a list — there are just too many
files. Individual programmes like OpenOffice may maintain a list of
files they have used.

You can create a recently accessed list using

Places
Search for files …

Choose a folder such as your home folder. Don’t search the entire file
system — that will take far too long — and unlike other OSs, Ubuntu
keeps your files separate from system files. Under

Select more options
add an option for

Date modified less than

and choose (say) 14 days.

This should find your recently-used files.

There are other solutions to this. You may have to look beyond the
Ubuntu catalogue to find them.

--
JDL

Old 07-20-2010, 07:25 AM
Hakan Koseoglu

Yu,

2010/7/20 yu huang <hybryant@hotmail.com>:
> I want to have a menu item in places where records the recent accessed
> directory.
> I am wondering where is the recent accessed document list stored in ubuntu?
> How does ubuntu track the recently accessed file?

Unless turned off, access time for each file is stored on disk. For
performance reasons this can be turned off but it is not done by
default on Ubuntu.

You can use atime option on many commands.

ls -la --time=atime

will show the last access time for all files in that directory.

Similarly you can search for a file modified at a particular date or
older/newer than a certain date using the find command:
These are the options in the command "find" you might find useful:

-daystart
Measure times (for -amin, -atime, -cmin, -ctime, -mmin,
and -mtime) from the beginning of today rather than from 24 hours
ago. This option only
affects tests which appear later on the command line.

-atime n
File was last accessed n*24 hours ago. When find
figures out how many 24-hour periods ago the file was last accessed,
any fractional part is ignored,
so to match -atime +1, a file has to have been accessed
at least two days ago.

-cmin n
File's status was last changed n minutes ago.

-cnewer file
File's status was last changed more recently than file
was modified. If file is a symbolic link and the -H option or the -L
option is in effect, the
status-change time of the file it points to is always used.

-ctime n
File's status was last changed n*24 hours ago.
See the comments for -atime to understand how rounding affects the
interpretation of file status
change times.

-mtime n
File's data was last modified n*24 hours ago. See the
comments for -atime to understand how rounding affects the
interpretation of file modification
times.

-mmin n
File's data was last modified n minutes ago.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:29 AM
Colin Law

On 20 July 2010 07:47, John D Lamb <J.D.Lamb@btinternet.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-07-20 at 11:32 +0800, yu huang wrote:
>> I want to have a menu item in places where records the recent accessed
>> directory.
>> I am wondering where is the recent accessed document list stored in
>> ubuntu?
>> How does ubuntu track the recently accessed file?
>
> There is no recently accessed file list. As far as I know no operating
> system _automatically_ maintains such a list — there are just too many
> files. Individual programmes like OpenOffice may maintain a list of
> files they have used.

I suspect the OP is referring to Places, Recent Documents.

Colin

Old 07-20-2010, 05:37 PM
Florian Diesch

yu huang <hybryant@hotmail.com> writes:

> hi, all,
> I want to have a menu item in places where records the recent accessed directory.
> I am wondering where is the recent accessed document list stored in ubuntu?
> How does ubuntu track the recently accessed file?

I guess you mean the list you see at Places→Recent Documents:

The data is stored in ~/.recently-used.xbel
There is no central instance that manages this file, each program can
add, use or remove data at will.

As an example
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/software/python-scripts/#addtorecen>
is a small script for adding documents from the command line using
Python and Gtk.

<http://www.florian-diesch.de/doc/emacs/add-to-gnomes-recently-used-documents/>
shows how to use that script with emacs.

Florian
--
Simple dict-like Python API for GConf:
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/software/easygconf/>

Old 07-21-2010, 05:27 PM
yu huang

yes, as Colin said, I am refering to Places->Recent Documentsin the main menu of ubuntu
Message: 4

Old 07-21-2010, 08:05 PM
Colin Law

2010/7/21 yu huang <hybryant@hotmail.com>:
> yes, as Colin said, I am refering to Places->Recent Documents
>
> in the main menu of ubuntu

So did Florian's post answer your question?

Colin

Old 07-21-2010, 10:49 PM
yu huang

Message: 8
> yes, as Colin said, I am refering to Places->Recent Documents
>
> in the main menu of ubuntu

> So did Florian's post answer your question?

> Colin

No. My question is where is the list of files showed in Places->Recent Documentsstored in ubuntu? And how does the system keep track of this information (or sayhow is the list of files maintained)

Old 07-22-2010, 08:00 AM
Colin Law

2010/7/21 yu huang <hybryant@hotmail.com>:
> Message: 8
> Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 21:05:24 +0100
> From: Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com>
>>..
>> So did Florian's post answer your question?
>
> No. My question is where is the list of files showed in Places->Recent
> Documents
> stored in ubuntu? And how does the system keep track of this information (or
> say
> how is the list of files maintained)

To quote from Florian's response:
The data is stored in ~/.recently-used.xbel
There is no central instance that manages this file, each program can
add, use or remove data at will.

Is that not the answer?

Colin