Old 07-18-2010, 08:23 PM
Dotan Cohen

Default Combining subtitle files

As many films do not come in my native language, users download
subtitles from the internet. However these subtitles appear to be
tailored for illegal shares, not legal home DVD rips. Thus, the
subtitle files are broken into two files, one for each half of the
movie. Simply concatenating them together does not work as the
subtitle files are encoded with timestamps. Is there a tool for
concatenating subtitles files in Linux that will adjust the
timestamps? Apparently this exists for Windows.

Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 07-18-2010, 08:54 PM
NoOp

On 07/18/2010 01:23 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> As many films do not come in my native language, users download
> subtitles from the internet. However these subtitles appear to be
> tailored for illegal shares, not legal home DVD rips. Thus, the
> subtitle files are broken into two files, one for each half of the
> movie. Simply concatenating them together does not work as the
> subtitle files are encoded with timestamps. Is there a tool for
> concatenating subtitles files in Linux that will adjust the
> timestamps? Apparently this exists for Windows.
>
> Thanks.

Try:
$ apt-cache search subtitle

Old 07-18-2010, 09:11 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 23:54, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Try:
> $ apt-cache search subtitle

Thank you, that led me to these apps, which I will now try:
gaupol - subtitle editor for text-based subtitle files
gnome-subtitles - Subtitles editor for the GNOME Desktop environment
subtitleeditor - Graphical subtitle editor with sound waves representation
tea - text editor with syntax highlighting & UTF support
submux-dvd - subtitle multiplexer, muxes subtitles into .vob
subdownloader - subtitle download/upload manager for video files

Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 07-18-2010, 09:26 PM
Marlon

Can i suggest you download another subtitle with the same relase name as the filme...

like

my.film.RC3-NoFAxx0.avi
my.film.RC3-NoFAxx0.str

cheersMarlon Valério
┌──────────────┐

** T0ddy Stone Brains
└──────────────┘

Old 07-18-2010, 10:04 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 00:26, Marlon <yodatsi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can i suggest you download another subtitle with the same relase name as the
> filme...
>
> like
>
> my.film.RC3-NoFAxx0.avi
> my.film.RC3-NoFAxx0.str

Thanks, Marlon, but these are not pirated video files. These are
home-made, legal rips that are not distributed on or acquired from P2P
networks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 07-19-2010, 09:57 PM
Marlon

Yo!!

ok...

time ago some fansubber guys told me about aegisub, I dont know it but it is suposed to be a software to subtitle manipulation..

take a look!

[]'sMarlon Valério

┌──────────────┐
** T0ddy Stone Brains
└──────────────┘

Old 07-20-2010, 12:11 PM
ms

On 18/07/10 21:23, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> As many films do not come in my native language, users download
> subtitles from the internet. However these subtitles appear to be
> tailored for illegal shares, not legal home DVD rips. Thus, the
> subtitle files are broken into two files, one for each half of the
> movie. Simply concatenating them together does not work as the
> subtitle files are encoded with timestamps. Is there a tool for
> concatenating subtitles files in Linux that will adjust the
> timestamps? Apparently this exists for Windows.

Ehm, why don't you rip the subtitles as well when you rip the DVD?

Old 07-20-2010, 06:47 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 00:57, Marlon <yodatsi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yo!!
>
> ok...
>
> time ago some fansubber guys told me about aegisub, I dont know it but it is
> suposed to be a software to subtitle manipulation..
>
> take a look!

Thanks, Marlon, I will look at that.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 07-20-2010, 06:49 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 15:11, ms <devicerandom@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ehm, why don't you rip the subtitles as well when you rip the DVD?

That's a good question, I did not even know that this was possible.
The question is for a user, and I personally don't even own a TV so I
did not know that DVD's have subtitles already in them. I don't know
which ripper they used, but some basic googling leads me to believe
that most should support the feature.

Thanks, that does seem to be the "right way"!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 07-20-2010, 11:44 PM
ms

On 20/07/10 19:49, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 15:11, ms<devicerandom@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ehm, why don't you rip the subtitles as well when you rip the DVD?
>>
> That's a good question, I did not even know that this was possible.

It is. dvd::rip does it very easily.

> The question is for a user, and I personally don't even own a TV so I
> did not know that DVD's have subtitles already in them.

Well, it's usually written on the back of the DVD box

> I don't know
> which ripper they used, but some basic googling leads me to believe
> that most should support the feature.
>
> Thanks, that does seem to be the "right way"!

You're welcome!

m.