Old 07-18-2010, 09:35 AM
Ariful Hossain

Default 'od' cant dump directory contants

od supposed to dump directory contents as well as files. but in my
ubuntu box it cant do that. It gives only a read error msg. Is it a
problem with gnu od or od is implemented differently from original unix
od?
--
Freeburn
life in a NIX shell

Old 07-18-2010, 11:45 AM
Amedee Van Gasse

Op 18-07-10 11:35, Ariful Hossain schreef:
> od supposed to dump directory contents as well as files. but in my
> ubuntu box it cant do that. It gives only a read error msg. Is it a
> problem with gnu od or od is implemented differently from original unix
> od?

What is the exact command that you used? Including all parameters?

Old 07-18-2010, 11:50 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010, Amedee Van Gasse wrote:

> Op 18-07-10 11:35, Ariful Hossain schreef:
> > od supposed to dump directory contents as well as files. but in my
> > ubuntu box it cant do that. It gives only a read error msg. Is
> > it a problem with gnu od or od is implemented differently from
> > original unix od?
>
> What is the exact command that you used? Including all parameters?

take my advice for what it's worth but, as a long-time linux trainer
(and, yes, i'm available :-), i used to get students in intro classes
to do just that -- hexdump or od directories themselves to see the
structure of directory entries, including i-numbers.

at some point, that didn't work anymore because the way directories
were implemented changed. so my assumption these days is that, no,
you can't dump directories anymore. but i'm willing to be corrected.

rday

http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 07-18-2010, 11:55 AM
Karl Larsen

On 07/18/2010 03:35 AM, Ariful Hossain wrote:
> od supposed to dump directory contents as well as files. but in my
> ubuntu box it cant do that. It gives only a read error msg. Is it a
> problem with gnu od or od is implemented differently from original unix
> od?

I never use od but it appears to work on Ubuntu 10.04. I looked
first at man od and that showed how to use it :-)

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 07-18-2010, 05:03 PM
Jonesy

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 07:50:21 -0400 (EDT), Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010, Amedee Van Gasse wrote:
>
>> Op 18-07-10 11:35, Ariful Hossain schreef:
>> > od supposed to dump directory contents as well as files. but in my
>> > ubuntu box it cant do that. It gives only a read error msg. Is
>> > it a problem with gnu od or od is implemented differently from
>> > original unix od?
>>
>> What is the exact command that you used? Including all parameters?
>
> take my advice for what it's worth but, as a long-time linux trainer
> (and, yes, i'm available :-), i used to get students in intro classes
> to do just that -- hexdump or od directories themselves to see the
> structure of directory entries, including i-numbers.
>
> at some point, that didn't work anymore because the way directories
> were implemented changed. so my assumption these days is that, no,
> you can't dump directories anymore. but i'm willing to be corrected.

We don't even know what fs the OP is attempting this `od` on.

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux

Old 07-21-2010, 08:47 AM
Ariful Hossain

od -cb .

it should dump the directory....after searching the net i found out that
the gnu od is implemented differently for POSIX compability. so its not
the same as original unix od.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:39 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

it should dump the directory....after searching the net i found out that

the gnu od is implemented differently for POSIX compability. so its not

the same as original unix od.

On Sun, 2010-07-18 at 13:45 +0200, Amedee Van Gasse wrote:

> Op 18-07-10 11:35, Ariful Hossain schreef:

> > od supposed to dump directory contents as well as files. but in my

> > ubuntu box it cant do that. *It gives only a read error msg. *Is it a

> > problem with gnu od or od is implemented differently from original unix

> > od?

> What is the exact command that you used? Including all parameters?

*Besides all that, some filesystems don't lend themselves to od-style dumping:
in particular, those with B-tree implementations (reiser?, ext4?).

What is the filesystem whose directory you wish to dump?

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 07-21-2010, 05:54 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 4:48 PM, Ariful Hossain <freefall1986@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, 2010-07-21 at 05:39 -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 1:47 AM, Ariful Hossain

> <freefall1986@gmail.com> wrote:

> * * * * od -cb .

*[snip]

*
> Besides all that, some filesystems don't lend themselves to od-style

> dumping:

> in particular, those with B-tree implementations (reiser?, ext4?).

> What is the filesystem whose directory you wish to dump?

ext4 and i think thats the end of it. Its sad ......
*There's at least one more thing to try.* On old-style directories at least, one could open them for reading (but not writing).* See if this is still true on your system, and write a little program that makes a copy.* Utility od(1) should be able to deal with a copy if you can make one.

Good luck.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 07-21-2010, 11:48 PM