Old 07-09-2010, 03:09 AM
"Bob"

Default Couple of questions

Hello Newbie here,
*
It's been a long slow journey but
I'm getting it.
*
I have a couple of questions.

*
1. I just upgraded my router to a
netgear wireless router from a linksys. I am now unable to find my server on my
network as well as unable to see it in the router.
*
2. I have always had a hard time
linking my pc's to the ubuntu box. Is there something I'm missing?
*
3. Eventually I was thinking of
creating a social networking site. Would it be wise to use the same box for the
hosting and operation of the site as well as a back up for my home
pc's??
*
I have an older dell box with a new
350 g hd. with a p4 processor.
*
Nada on the HD except the 10
ubuntu.
*
Been working on this for a year in
my spare time. Being a landscaper, I don't have a great deal of time now but I
guess that's a good thing.
*
*
Thanks for any help!!!
*
Bob

Old 07-09-2010, 07:44 AM
"Tim H."

> 1. I just upgraded my router to a netgear wireless router from a
> linksys. I am now unable to find my server on my network as well as
> unable to see it in the router.

You can try removing all of the wireless connections from your
connection manager. Just right click the wireless icon and go from
there. Basic, but it's a good first step.

> 2. I have always had a hard time linking my pc's to the ubuntu box. Is
> there something I'm missing?

Have you tried samba-server. Google search should get you started.

> 3. Eventually I was thinking of creating a social networking site. Would
> it be wise to use the same box for the hosting and operation of the site
> as well as a back up for my home pc's??

You'd be better off with a dedicate machine for any public sites for
security sake. That is unless you are confident you can separate your
everyday files from the served files.

> I have an older dell box with a new 350 g hd. with a p4 processor.
> Nada on the HD except the 10 ubuntu.
> Been working on this for a year in my spare time. Being a landscaper, I
> don't have a great deal of time now but I guess that's a good thing.
> Thanks for any help!!!
> Bob

With that size drive you could try hosting your site on a virtual
private server. Install the virt-manager. From there you would need to
forward web hits (port 80) to the virtual machines IP. Essentially
splitting your desktop machine into a pretty powerful dedicated server.
Just an idea.

Tim H.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Colin Law

On 9 July 2010 04:09, Bob <bob@theoriginalgrassmasters.com> wrote:
> Hello Newbie here,
>
> It's been a long slow journey but I'm getting it.
>
> I have a couple of questions.

Just a note on the best way to get questions answered.
Firstly I think it is best to only ask one question at a time, things
get confusing if you have multiple things going on in one thread.
Secondly if you use a meaningful subject for the email you are more
likely that someone with an interest in that area is going to read
your message and respond to it.

Colin

Old 07-09-2010, 03:01 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 23:09:13 -0400
"Bob" <bob@theoriginalgrassmasters.com> wrote:

> Hello Newbie here,
>
> It's been a long slow journey but I'm getting it.
>
> I have a couple of questions.

One of the points of having a mailing list is to enable people in the
future to search the list for their problem instead of re-asking by
including only one question per email.

Another point is to enable people in the future to search the list for
their problem instead of re-asking by having a (preferably highly)
descriptive subject line.

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 07-09-2010, 08:17 PM