Old 07-09-2010, 12:31 AM
Cameron Hutchison

Default Rebuild main menu from scratch?

"Cybe R. Wizard" <cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> writes:

>I recently decided to try a new installation of 10.04 just to rid
>myself of the cruft accumulated by upgrading from Warty Warthog (4.10).
>In doing so I kept my /home and all its settings. I suppose that the
>main menu is in there somewhere as I still have lots of stuff on the
>menu which is no longer installed. Is there a way to rebuild the menu
>to include only the software currently installed?

You may find a bunch of *.desktop files in ~/.local/share/applications.
These will contain any changes you have previously made to the menu from
your user account.

/usr/share/applications should contain all the .desktop files for the
software actually installed on your system. If you run

$ dpkg -S /usr/share/applications/*.desktop > /dev/null

then any errors you see will be for .desktop files not belonging to any
package.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Basil Chupin

On 09/07/10 08:42, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> I recently decided to try a new installation of 10.04 just to rid
> myself of the cruft accumulated by upgrading from Warty Warthog (4.10).
> In doing so I kept my /home and all its settings. I suppose that the
> main menu is in there somewhere as I still have lots of stuff on the
> menu which is no longer installed. Is there a way to rebuild the menu
> to include only the software currently installed?
>
> Cybe R. Wizard

Perhaps this is not "rebuilding from scratch", but wouldn't
System>Preferences>Main Menu and then selecting the various items and
then Deleting what you don't want to have in the Menu be an answer to
what you ask?

BC

Old 07-09-2010, 03:09 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 00:31:05 -0000
Cameron Hutchison <lists@xdna.net> wrote:

> You may find a bunch of *.desktop files in
> ~/.local/share/applications. These will contain any changes you have
> previously made to the menu from your user account.
>
> /usr/share/applications should contain all the .desktop files for the
> software actually installed on your system. If you run
>
> $ dpkg -S /usr/share/applications/*.desktop > /dev/null
>
> then any errors you see will be for .desktop files not belonging to
> any package.

Thanks for that, Cameron.
Being somewhat paranoid I dumped the command into a text file instead
of /dev/null.
Lo, only /usr/share/applications/ubuntu-nvidia-settings.desktop was
missing according to the dpkg error response. I know for a fact that
lots more is actually missing and the text file seems to contain all of
those.

I have resorted to hand-altering the menu from the main menu editor.

It seems strange that a menu-rebuild utility isn't included. I now wish
that I had programming skills in order to build one.

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 07-09-2010, 07:02 PM
NoOp

On 07/09/2010 08:09 AM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

> I have resorted to hand-altering the menu from the main menu editor.

Try:

$ sudo apt-get install menu
$ sudo update-menus

You can also reset the defaults via the menu editor (right click
Applications|Edit Menus) by clicking the 'Revert' button.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:51 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 12:02:53 -0700
NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 07/09/2010 08:09 AM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> >
> > I have resorted to hand-altering the menu from the main menu editor.
>
> Try:
>
> $ sudo apt-get install menu
> $ sudo update-menus

Nope, that only adds things as far as I can tell. At least it didn't
pull old dead links out.

> You can also reset the defaults via the menu editor (right click
> Applications|Edit Menus) by clicking the 'Revert' button.

After hand-altering the menu back into what I think it should be (no
apps showing that do nothing/aren't installed) I did try that right
click. Good call, BTW, I'd never have found that. It didn't help,
though. It put everything back like it was before my hand editing even
though it claims to revert all menus to original settings. That it
did /not/ do.
Ah, well, back to hand-adjusting I guess.

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs