Old 07-08-2010, 07:12 PM
Tim Henderson

Default quotas

> We have a mail server running postfix/dovecot on ubuntu 9.10 using
> ext3 as the underlying filesystem and filesystem quotas turned on. We
> have run into a couple instances of people complaining about being
> overquota when they are not and du -s does not seem to match what
> quota -v is saying. This last instance quota -v was about 49500 and
> du -s on the user's home directory was about 40000, they had about 700
> files total so I can't see inode count causing a problem. I searched
> the rest of the filesystem just to make sure that user did not own any
> other files and they did not. A quotacheck on the filesystem repaired
> the issue, quota -v was then showing the same as du -s. Any ideas why
> this might be the case and what I might do to fix this?

With very little research done on my end, I would assume a simple
cronjob running quotacheck, maybe once an hour, should suffice.

Not sure why they don't match. Perhaps quotacheck ran earlier in the
day when the quota was higher and only updates once a day...? Not sure,
as I am a novice with quota's.

Tim H.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:22 PM
James Devine

That is one solution, although I was hoping for something more
realtime, I haven't run quotacheck since I moved the mail onto this
server about a month ago. I moved it from a freebsd machine which
didn't require checking the quotas at intervals, is this common
practice?

Old 07-08-2010, 07:22 PM
Tim Henderson

>> We have a mail server running postfix/dovecot on ubuntu 9.10 using
>> ext3 as the underlying filesystem and filesystem quotas turned on. We
>> have run into a couple instances of people complaining about being
>> overquota when they are not and du -s does not seem to match what
>> quota -v is saying. This last instance quota -v was about 49500 and
>> du -s on the user's home directory was about 40000, they had about 700
>> files total so I can't see inode count causing a problem. I searched
>> the rest of the filesystem just to make sure that user did not own any
>> other files and they did not. A quotacheck on the filesystem repaired
>> the issue, quota -v was then showing the same as du -s. Any ideas why
>> this might be the case and what I might do to fix this?
>>

> With very little research done on my end, I would assume a simple
> cronjob running quotacheck, maybe once an hour, should suffice.
>
> Not sure why they don't match. Perhaps quotacheck ran earlier in the
> day when the quota was higher and only updates once a day...? Not sure,
> as I am a novice with quota's.
>
> Tim H.

NOTE:

It may be necessary to run quotaoff prior to the quotacheck to prevent
further quota corruption. quotaon could be run following the completion.

Tim H.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:29 PM
Tim Henderson

> That is one solution, although I was hoping for something more
> realtime, I haven't run quotacheck since I moved the mail onto this
> server about a month ago. I moved it from a freebsd machine which
> didn't require checking the quotas at intervals, is this common
> practice?

Reading further it seems to be somewhat common for disk quotas to become
inaccurate compared to the real usage. I've noticed a few system admin
type crons during my search that would run the cron I previously
specified twice a day.

Tim H.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Res

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010, James Devine wrote:

> That is one solution, although I was hoping for something more
> realtime, I haven't run quotacheck since I moved the mail onto this
> server about a month ago. I moved it from a freebsd machine which
> didn't require checking the quotas at intervals, is this common
> practice?

Certainly not!
I suggest the other 'workarounds' are to cover more bigger issues they
have.

Although I only use Slackware on servers, the last time quotacheck
was run was on any given servers normal bootup, and thats years for
some of them, quota still works perfectly on all.

--
Res

"What does Windows have that Linux doesn't?" - One hell of a lot of bugs!