Old 07-08-2010, 04:46 PM
Dotan Cohen

Default Serial port numbers changing at each boot

A machine with a Gigabyte g33 motherboard and two serial expansion
cards has an interesting situation in which on each boot the serial
ports get different tty numbers. Why should they change on each boot,
and how can I prevent that?

The machine is currently running Ubuntu 10.04. I had run various
Ubuntus and Debians without issue in the past. Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 07-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Frans Ketelaars

On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 19:46:20 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> A machine with a Gigabyte g33 motherboard and two serial expansion cards
> has an interesting situation in which on each boot the serial ports get
> different tty numbers. Why should they change on each boot, and how can
> I prevent that?
>
> The machine is currently running Ubuntu 10.04. I had run various Ubuntus
> and Debians without issue in the past. Thanks.

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Serial-HOWTO-4.html#ss4.3 says :

"This does not set the I/O address and IRQ in the hardware itself (which
is set by jumpers or by plug-and-play software). Thus which physical port
corresponds to say ttyS1 depends both on what the serial driver thinks
(per setserial) and what is set in the hardware."

Maybe the Ubuntu 10.04 plug-and-play software doesn't consistently
determine which should be considered the 'first' card ?

Good luck!

-Frans

Old 07-11-2010, 07:11 AM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
Am Donnerstag, den 08.07.2010, 19:46 +0300 schrieb Dotan Cohen:
> A machine with a Gigabyte g33 motherboard and two serial expansion
> cards has an interesting situation in which on each boot the serial
> ports get different tty numbers. Why should they change on each boot,
> and how can I prevent that?
>
> The machine is currently running Ubuntu 10.04. I had run various
> Ubuntus and Debians without issue in the past. Thanks.
try to find something unique to each of the ports in /var/log/udev and
create a udev rule that matches this to create specific device names.

ciao
oli