FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby
 
Default Evolution mail unstable, please switch to Thunderbird for the next release...

> SLNTHERO@aol.com :
>Evolution mail unstable,

Evolution is stable. Very stable.

--

Architecte Informatique chez Blueline/Gulfsat:
Administration Systeme, Recherche & Developpement
+261 34 56 000 19

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Jesse Palser
 
Default Evolution mail unstable, please switch to Thunderbird for the next release...

On 07/08/2010 12:38 PM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
>> SLNTHERO@aol.com :
>> Evolution mail unstable,
> Evolution is stable. Very stable.
>
Hi,

I am a programmer, and I think Evolution mail is very unstable.
It would crash more than one time every day.

Mozilla Thunderbird 3 is the best email client for Ubuntu 10.04
Please include Thunderbird 3 as default email client in next Ubuntu

Thanks

Jesse

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-08-2010, 05:16 PM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby
 
Default Evolution mail unstable, please switch to Thunderbird for the next release...

> SLNTHERO@aol.com :
> On 07/08/2010 12:38 PM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
>>> SLNTHERO@aol.com :
>>> Evolution mail unstable,
>> Evolution is stable. Very stable.
>I am a programmer, and I think Evolution mail is very unstable.
>It would crash more than one time every day.

If you are a programmer, I dont understand why your unit is the crash
number per day.

--

Architecte Informatique chez Blueline/Gulfsat:
Administration Systeme, Recherche & Developpement
+261 34 56 000 19

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-09-2010, 05:59 AM
Nataraj
 
Default Evolution mail unstable, please switch to Thunderbird for the next release...

Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
>> SLNTHERO@aol.com :
>> Evolution mail unstable,
>>
>
> Evolution is stable. Very stable.
>
>

I too have had all kinds of problems with crashes and hangs in
evolution. Evolution supports several different mailbox formats, imap
and pop. My sense is that some of these are more prone to problems than
others, so perhaps there are configurations that are stable. I had
problems for years with evolution using MH format files.

I did find a while back that if you are willing to install the latest
upstream version, and I think they have versions compiled with debug,
then the developers will look at your crashes.

For the last year or so, I've been running thunderbird using a dovecot
imap server and I've been very happy with this configuration.

Nataraj


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Tero Pesonen
 
Default Evolution mail unstable, please switch to Thunderbird for the next release...

On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 12:44 -0400, Jesse Palser wrote:
> On 07/08/2010 12:38 PM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
> >> SLNTHERO@aol.com :
> >> Evolution mail unstable,
> > Evolution is stable. Very stable.
> >
> Hi,
>
> I am a programmer, and I think Evolution mail is very unstable.
> It would crash more than one time every day.
>
> Mozilla Thunderbird 3 is the best email client for Ubuntu 10.04
> Please include Thunderbird 3 as default email client in next Ubuntu

Evolution Mail is stable but sluggish. Thunderbird, though snappier on
IMAP, is not an acceptable replacement.

Thunderbird has the issue that you cannot compose messages on it like on
a normal, well-behaving mail client. The line you're writing just keeps
going on and on and on and wraps only after it has rolled long past the
right hand corner of the screen. The result is that the composer window
will have a scroll bar which you need to scroll from left to right in
case you want to read what you wrote above -- the lines are that long.
There is no way to get rid of this and have the composer wrap at, say,
68 or 72 characters. This behaviour goes against all HCI and
accessibility guidelines ever produced and renders the product useless.
The "feature" is well-known though the motivation behind introducing it
back in the original Mozilla Mail is not.

Do not make Thunderbird default for anything till they fix message
composition.

Thanks,
Tero Pesonen

--
tero-at-tpesonen.net
GPG KeyID 315FD528


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Jesse Palser
 
Default Evolution mail unstable, please switch to Thunderbird for the next release...

On 07/09/2010 07:39 AM, Tero Pesonen wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 12:44 -0400, Jesse Palser wrote:
>> On 07/08/2010 12:38 PM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
>>>> SLNTHERO@aol.com :
>>>> Evolution mail unstable,
>>> Evolution is stable. Very stable.
>>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am a programmer, and I think Evolution mail is very unstable.
>> It would crash more than one time every day.
>>
>> Mozilla Thunderbird 3 is the best email client for Ubuntu 10.04
>> Please include Thunderbird 3 as default email client in next Ubuntu
> Evolution Mail is stable but sluggish. Thunderbird, though snappier on
> IMAP, is not an acceptable replacement.
>
> Thunderbird has the issue that you cannot compose messages on it like on
> a normal, well-behaving mail client. The line you're writing just keeps
> going on and on and on and wraps only after it has rolled long past the
> right hand corner of the screen. The result is that the composer window
> will have a scroll bar which you need to scroll from left to right in
> case you want to read what you wrote above -- the lines are that long.
> There is no way to get rid of this and have the composer wrap at, say,
> 68 or 72 characters. This behaviour goes against all HCI and
> accessibility guidelines ever produced and renders the product useless.
> The "feature" is well-known though the motivation behind introducing it
> back in the original Mozilla Mail is not.
>
> Do not make Thunderbird default for anything till they fix message
> composition.
>
> Thanks,
> Tero Pesonen
>
Hi,

Thunderbird 3 is not perfect, but I strongly believe it is a better
client than Evolution.

Some of the problems with Evolution that I had were:
- Random multiple crashes every day.
- Very slow updating of IMAP mailboxes.
- Filters did not work most of the time (had to manually sort mail).

Again, Thunderbird is not perfect, but I think its much better than
Evolution

Jesse



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-09-2010, 12:15 PM
"Joep L. Blom"
 
Default Evolution mail unstable, please switch to Thunderbird for the next release...

Tero Pesonen wrote:
> Thunderbird has the issue that you cannot compose messages on it like on
> a normal, well-behaving mail client. The line you're writing just keeps
> going on and on and on and wraps only after it has rolled long past the
> right hand corner of the screen. The result is that the composer window
> will have a scroll bar which you need to scroll from left to right in
> case you want to read what you wrote above -- the lines are that long.
> There is no way to get rid of this and have the composer wrap at, say,
> 68 or 72 characters. This behaviour goes against all HCI and
> accessibility guidelines ever produced and renders the product useless.
> The "feature" is well-known though the motivation behind introducing it
> back in the original Mozilla Mail is not.
>
> Do not make Thunderbird default for anything till they fix message
> composition.
>
> Thanks,
> Tero Pesonen
>
I switched a year ago from Evolution, for many of the reasons give by
others on this list, to Thunderbird 2.0 (from the Ubuntu repository)
with lightning.
If you want your mail editing be normal:
A. Don't use html *although I assume you use plain text)
Goto Edit-> preferences-> composition -> General
There you can set the # of characters before wrapping.
Of course I don't know how thunderbird 3.0 works but in the Ubuntu
repositories (for 9.10) you still get thunderbird 2.0 which, in my
system works without a problem (already for over a year).
Joep




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby
 
Default Evolution mail unstable, please switch to Thunderbird for the next release...

> SLNTHERO@aol.com :
>Thunderbird 3 is not perfect, but I strongly believe it is a better
>client than Evolution.

Oh, I see.
You are using (or have used) Thunderbird and Evolution just for their
Email features. You were wrong.
Just for Emailiing, you should use lighter ones.
- http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/mail/claws-mail
- http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/mail/alpine
- http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/balsa

For heavy use (The whole PIM features) Thunderbird (+plugins) and
Evolution are OK here.

--

Architecte Informatique chez Blueline/Gulfsat:
Administration Systeme, Recherche & Developpement
+261 34 56 000 19

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-09-2010, 12:23 PM
Tero Pesonen
 
Default Evolution mail unstable, please switch to Thunderbird for the next release...

On Fri, 2010-07-09 at 14:15 +0200, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> Tero Pesonen wrote:
> > Thunderbird has the issue that you cannot compose messages on it like on
> > a normal, well-behaving mail client. The line you're writing just keeps
> > going on and on and on and wraps only after it has rolled long past the
> > right hand corner of the screen. The result is that the composer window
> > will have a scroll bar which you need to scroll from left to right in
> > case you want to read what you wrote above -- the lines are that long.
> > There is no way to get rid of this and have the composer wrap at, say,
> > 68 or 72 characters. This behaviour goes against all HCI and
> > accessibility guidelines ever produced and renders the product useless.
> > The "feature" is well-known though the motivation behind introducing it
> > back in the original Mozilla Mail is not.
> >
> > Do not make Thunderbird default for anything till they fix message
> > composition.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Tero Pesonen
> >
> I switched a year ago from Evolution, for many of the reasons give by
> others on this list, to Thunderbird 2.0 (from the Ubuntu repository)
> with lightning.
> If you want your mail editing be normal:
> A. Don't use html *although I assume you use plain text)
> Goto Edit-> preferences-> composition -> General
> There you can set the # of characters before wrapping.
> Of course I don't know how thunderbird 3.0 works but in the Ubuntu
> repositories (for 9.10) you still get thunderbird 2.0 which, in my
> system works without a problem (already for over a year).
> Joep

I only use plain text.

On my 9.04, TB wraps the text only after I've finished composing. That
is, the message will be sent wrapped, but it is not wrapped while it is
being composed. I've been told TB 3 works the same way.

Tero Pesonen

--
tero-at-tpesonen.net
GPG KeyID 315FD528


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-09-2010, 12:31 PM
Jesse Palser
 
Default Evolution mail unstable, please switch to Thunderbird for the next release...

On 07/09/2010 08:15 AM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> Tero Pesonen wrote:
>> Thunderbird has the issue that you cannot compose messages on it like on
>> a normal, well-behaving mail client. The line you're writing just keeps
>> going on and on and on and wraps only after it has rolled long past the
>> right hand corner of the screen. The result is that the composer window
>> will have a scroll bar which you need to scroll from left to right in
>> case you want to read what you wrote above -- the lines are that long.
>> There is no way to get rid of this and have the composer wrap at, say,
>> 68 or 72 characters. This behaviour goes against all HCI and
>> accessibility guidelines ever produced and renders the product useless.
>> The "feature" is well-known though the motivation behind introducing it
>> back in the original Mozilla Mail is not.
>>
>> Do not make Thunderbird default for anything till they fix message
>> composition.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Tero Pesonen
>>
> I switched a year ago from Evolution, for many of the reasons give by
> others on this list, to Thunderbird 2.0 (from the Ubuntu repository)
> with lightning.
> If you want your mail editing be normal:
> A. Don't use html *although I assume you use plain text)
> Goto Edit-> preferences-> composition -> General
> There you can set the # of characters before wrapping.
> Of course I don't know how thunderbird 3.0 works but in the Ubuntu
> repositories (for 9.10) you still get thunderbird 2.0 which, in my
> system works without a problem (already for over a year).
> Joep
>
>
>
>
Hi,

You can easily add current Mozilla Thunderbird 3 to 10.04 Package Manager
by typing the following in Terminal:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-daily/ppa"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Then you open Package Manager and click "Reload"
and then search for "Thunderbird".

It is great for email and with a plugin
I can view my Google calendar from my Android phone.

Give it a try!

Jesse

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:13 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org