Old 07-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Dave

Default Best File System for Media Repository

On 08/07/10 16:10, Amichai Rotman wrote:
> I have partitioned the whole drive as Linux (0x82) and formated it as
> EXT4 - checking the properties I got: 46.8 GB used and 870.1 GB free -
> and that's without any files on it!
>
> I remember something like 4 GB uses an 960 free before changing the
> partition from NTFS....
>
> can it be? Should I just put it back to NTFS?!

When you format with ext4 it reserves some space for system. You can use
the following to reclaim that space.

tune2fs -m 0 /dev/sd??

Change the /sd?? to whatever is your external drive and change the 0 to
something higher if you want to reserve some space.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:02 PM
Marius Gedminas

On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 04:25:57PM +0100, Dave wrote:
> On 08/07/10 16:10, Amichai Rotman wrote:
> > I have partitioned the whole drive as Linux (0x82) and formated it as
> > EXT4 - checking the properties I got: 46.8 GB used and 870.1 GB free -
> > and that's without any files on it!
>
> When you format with ext4 it reserves some space for system.

"some" being 5%, which explains the 46 GB.

--
If you have to run heating in winter, you don't own enough computers.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:08 PM
NoOp

On 07/08/2010 08:10 AM, Amichai Rotman wrote:
> Hey there!
>
> I just bought a 1TB IOmega external USB 2.0 Hard Disk. It came formated as
> NTFS.
>
> I want to use it for all my music and video file (all of which I riped from
> my own original CDs and DVDs, of course!)
>
> I was wondering what's the best Partition and File System types for the job?
>
> I have partitioned the whole drive as Linux (0x82) and formated it as EXT4 -
> checking the properties I got: 46.8 GB used and 870.1 GB free - and that's
> without any files on it!
>
> I remember something like 4 GB uses an 960 free before changing the
> partition from NTFS....
>
> can it be? Should I just put it back to NTFS?!

If you expect to use the drive for a Windows machine as well, then I'd
leave as NTFS, or ext3. Reason being is that there are programs for
accessing (R/W) ext3 from Windows, but none that I know of that work
with ext4.

Also, be aware of:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidLynx/ReleaseNotes
[Performance regressions with ext4 under certain workloads]

Old 07-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Joe Burgess

On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 09:02:19PM +0300, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 04:25:57PM +0100, Dave wrote:
> > On 08/07/10 16:10, Amichai Rotman wrote:
> > > I have partitioned the whole drive as Linux (0x82) and formated it as
> > > EXT4 - checking the properties I got: 46.8 GB used and 870.1 GB free -
> > > and that's without any files on it!
> >
> > When you format with ext4 it reserves some space for system.
>
> "some" being 5%, which explains the 46 GB.
>
> > You can use
> > the following to reclaim that space.
> >
> > tune2fs -m 0 /dev/sd??
> >
> > Change the /sd?? to whatever is your external drive and change the 0 to
> > something higher if you want to reserve some space.
>
> Marius Gedminas
> --
> If you have to run heating in winter, you don't own enough computers.

I know ReiserFS used to be pretty good at large files, but the
maintainer of that software is in jail now for killing his wife, so not
so good.

I would look into XFS as well.

--
--Joe Burgess