Old 07-08-2010, 12:43 PM
Douglas Pollard

Default Net book upgrade problem

Hi Guys, I upgraded My wife's Dell net book from 8.04 t0 10.04 from a
download and am getting nothing but a black screen on start up. I am
guessing Grub is not loading or working? Can someone give me some
help. As you might guess I am not real popular around my house. :-)
Doug

Old 07-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Karl Larsen

On 07/08/2010 06:43 AM, Douglas Pollard wrote:
> Hi Guys, I upgraded My wife's Dell net book from 8.04 t0 10.04 from a
> download and am getting nothing but a black screen on start up. I am
> guessing Grub is not loading or working? Can someone give me some
> help. As you might guess I am not real popular around my house. :-)
> Doug

We need more info. Please look in the directory /boot/grub/ and see
if you have a file named menu.lst or one called grub.cfg. You might have
both.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 07-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Tarun Khanna

Can you drop into a command prompt? I had a similar problem when I upgraded to 10.04 fro 9.10. I did 'dpkg-reconfigure -a'. That solved the problem.

If other help doesn't work, this is something worth trying.

Tarun

Old 07-08-2010, 03:43 PM
Douglas Pollard

On 07/08/2010 08:54 AM, Karl Larsen wrote:
> On 07/08/2010 06:43 AM, Douglas Pollard wrote:
>
>> Hi Guys, I upgraded My wife's Dell net book from 8.04 t0 10.04 from a
>> download and am getting nothing but a black screen on start up. I am
>> guessing Grub is not loading or working? Can someone give me some
>> help. As you might guess I am not real popular around my house. :-)
>> Doug
>>

> We need more info. Please look in the directory /boot/grub/ and see
> if you have a file named menu.lst or one called grub.cfg. You might have
> both.
>
> 73 Karl

how do I get into a directory with ubuntu?? Doug

Old 07-08-2010, 06:49 PM
Tarun Khanna

does any of the pseudo terminal work? <alt>+<ctrl>+<F1>, <alt>+<ctrl>+<F2> ...

If the ssh daemon has come up, you can perhaps ssh from another machine. Use putty on Windows.

Tarun

Old 07-08-2010, 06:49 PM
Tarun Khanna

Old 07-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Douglas Pollard

On 07/08/2010 11:43 AM, Douglas Pollard wrote:
> On 07/08/2010 08:54 AM, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> On 07/08/2010 06:43 AM, Douglas Pollard wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Guys, I upgraded My wife's Dell net book from 8.04 t0 10.04 from a
>>> download and am getting nothing but a black screen on start up. I am
>>> guessing Grub is not loading or working? Can someone give me some
>>> help. As you might guess I am not real popular around my house. :-)
>>> Doug
>>>

>> We need more info. Please look in the directory /boot/grub/ and see
>> if you have a file named menu.lst or one called grub.cfg. You might have
>> both.
>>
>> 73 Karl
>>

> how do I get into a directory with ubuntu?? Doug

Sorry guys what I meant to ask was How do I get into a directory ?boot
/ grub/ If I can' open ubuntu. Doug

Old 07-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Karl Larsen

On 07/08/2010 02:21 PM, Douglas Pollard wrote:
> On 07/08/2010 11:43 AM, Douglas Pollard wrote:

>>> We need more info. Please look in the directory /boot/grub/ and see
>>> if you have a file named menu.lst or one called grub.cfg. You might have
>>> both.
>>>
>>> 73 Karl
>>>

>> how do I get into a directory with ubuntu?? Doug
>>

> Sorry guys what I meant to ask was How do I get into a directory ?boot
> / grub/ If I can' open ubuntu. Doug

You can't. The Ubuntu must be working, Can you stop a bootup where
you can see what grub has to boot?

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 07-08-2010, 11:35 PM
Pete Vander Giessen

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 5:43 AM, Douglas Pollard <dougpol1@verizon.net> wrote:
> Hi *Guys, I upgraded My wife's Dell net book from 8.04 t0 10.04 from a
> download and am getting nothing but a black screen on start up. *I am
> guessing Grub is not loading or working? *Can someone give me some
> help. *As you might guess I am not real popular around my house. :-)
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Doug

Hi Doug,

If grub is toast, you can fix it using a live cd (or usb stick, in the
netbook's case). This link should get you started:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows

It might also be an issue with the display drivers, which can get more
complex. But your description -- that you get a blank screen pretty
much as soon as you turn it on, is more indicative of a grub problem.

~PeteVG

" ... the original aphorism being 'In comparison with the ancients, we
stand like dwarfs on the shoulders of giants.' The image was a
commonplace by the time Newton used it, his one contribution being to
erase any sense that he himself might be a dwarf."

~ Lewis Hyde