Old 07-08-2010, 04:47 AM
Jon Cosby

Default Evolution mail unstable, please switch to Thunderbird for the next release...

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 4:02 PM, Jesse Palser <SLNTHERO@aol.com> wrote:

*Evolution mail unstable, please switch to Thunderbird for the next

release...

Hi,

Evolution mail on Ubuntu 10.04 is ridiculously unstable.

Every day it would crash a few times.

I gave up and installed Mozilla Thunderbird 3.

I must say that Thunderbird 3 is the best email client I have ever used.

Please consider making Thunderbird 3 the default email client

in the next Ubuntu release 10.10.

I'm sorry you're having problems, but I do very well with Evolution. Have you tried posting some of these problems on this list to see if they can't be solved that way?

Jon

Old 07-08-2010, 02:07 PM

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 00:47, Jon Cosby <jon.l.cosby@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm sorry you're having problems, but I do very well with Evolution. Have
> you tried posting some of these problems on this list to see if they can't
> be solved that way?

I have the same luck with Evolution... apparently it's still the same
bloated, unstable crap that it was years ago when I gave up on it the
last time :/

IN my case:

Random, inexplicable crashes.
Random, inexplicable hangs.
hangs when trying to add a contact from a directory to a new e-mail.
hangs randomly when filtering messages.
hangs randomly when pulling headers from my IMAP servers.

None of these leave behind any clues in logs or elsewhere that I've
been able to find. The only reason I haven't dumped Evolution so far
is that I'm too busy at the moment to take the time to install
Thunderbird or some other mail client and configure it to match my
current setup.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Dotan Cohen

On 8 July 2010 17:07, J <dreadpiratejeff@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 00:47, Jon Cosby <jon.l.cosby@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm sorry you're having problems, but I do very well with Evolution. Have
>> you tried posting some of these problems on this list to see if they can't
>> be solved that way?
>
> I have the same luck with Evolution... apparently it's still the same
> bloated, unstable crap that it was years ago when I gave up on it the
> last time :/
>
> IN my case:
>
> Random, inexplicable crashes.
> Random, inexplicable hangs.
> hangs when trying to add a contact from a directory to a new e-mail.
> hangs randomly when filtering messages.
> hangs randomly when pulling headers from my IMAP servers.
>
> None of these leave behind any clues in logs or elsewhere that I've
> been able to find. *The only reason I haven't dumped Evolution so far
> is that I'm too busy at the moment to take the time to install
> Thunderbird or some other mail client and configure it to match my
> current setup.

Backtraces?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 07-08-2010, 07:46 PM

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 12:52, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8 July 2010 17:07, J <dreadpiratejeff@gmail.com> wrote:
>> None of these leave behind any clues in logs or elsewhere that I've
>> been able to find. *The only reason I haven't dumped Evolution so far
>> is that I'm too busy at the moment to take the time to install
>> Thunderbird or some other mail client and configure it to match my
>> current setup.
>>

> Backtraces?

As I said, none of these leave behind any clues in logs or elsewhere
that I've been able to find. That means no traces, no cores, no bad
log messages, nothing.

Also, looking at Launchpad and searching for the words "crash" or
"hang" in Evolution reports gives me a total of 117 open bugs (in some
stage of Open). Going over to Gnome.org and looking through their bug
list, the word "crash" returns 493 bugs and "hang" returns 511 bugs.

So 1000 open bugs for Evolution (that use the words "crash" or "hang")
over at gnome.org...

It would be nice if a hang (which is what I see more frequently) would
generate a backtrace, but hangs usually do not. A frozen application
can't generate that kind of report.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:02 PM
K V

I'm sorry to say, as awesome as Evolution could be, I too get frequent crashes and freezes.* Same scenario, with one SIGNIFICANT exception - I am forced to use the Exchange MAPI plugin to synchronize with the central IT Exchange 2007 server.* Yes, I have to use MAPI, because our division relies heavily on Outlook's calendaring and scheduling tools, along with interfaces to Sharepoint (shudder - I have to maintain it).* So, yes, I do have to have MAPI.* Unfortunately, the client hangs at least a couple of times an hour or requires a restart to enable mailbox synchronisation so I can re-enter my password because for some reason the password is not being authenticated.. actually, I'll give a brief synopsis:

Upon first opening Evolution, I usually have to enter my password.. no big deal..* things generally sync just fine.
After a brief time, if I try and open mail, I receive a notice to the effect that Evolution cannot retrieve the message from the mail server

If I tell it to resynch, I get an error that Evolution cannot retrieve messages.
At this point, I can do one of two things.. go into the configuration system and tell Evolution to reauthenticate me from my account area

or
I can close evolution and reload it, which usually works for a few minutes.

In short, the situation really, completely stinks.
So, now I'm forced to use Outlook over an rdesktop connection, which is pretty much a pain in the arse, as I'm sure you can imagine.* I would LOVE to have an email client that will reliably connect with Exchange 2007 and not have it come from Microsoft.

Peace

Old 07-08-2010, 08:19 PM

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 16:02, K V <vale.kenny@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm sorry to say, as awesome as Evolution could be, I too get frequent
> crashes and freezes.* Same scenario, with one SIGNIFICANT exception - I am
> forced to use the Exchange MAPI plugin to synchronize with the central IT
> Exchange 2007 server.* Yes, I have to use MAPI, because our division relies
> heavily on Outlook's calendaring and scheduling tools, along with interfaces
> to Sharepoint (shudder - I have to maintain it).* So, yes, I do have to have
> MAPI.* Unfortunately, the client hangs at least a couple of times an hour or
> requires a restart to enable mailbox synchronisation so I can re-enter my
> password because for some reason the password is not being authenticated..
> actually, I'll give a brief synopsis:

See, now this makes me wonder if it's not Evolution w' remote
mailboxes that's the real issue. I don't use Evolution and POP3, as I
imagine the majority of people here are doing, I'm hitting two IMAP
servers and doing IMAP actions on both, all folders and mail are
stored remotely, and the filters run on them that way, all I download
is headers or copies of messages when I read them.

I don't have a POP server that gets enough / any mail to make it
useful as a control subject.

Meh... I should really just switch back to Pine/Fetchmail and run my
own mail server. Even IF that means back to procmail recipe
creation...

Old 07-08-2010, 08:48 PM
K V

LOL.. I just configured mutt and msmtp with imap.* Just send first successful email. Pretty spiffy.* Sort of amusing.. the more GUI crap I have to deal with, the more I return to my shell roots.* Seems like the GUI interfaces are fragmenting more and more, so if you know one particular interface, you will almost certainly not be able to manoeuvre in another.* CLI is always the same.* I can go from GNU/Linux/SysV to BSD to OSX (Yah, I know it's BSD) to AIX and still have some level of functionality.

Peace