FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-08-2010, 02:27 AM
Tim Henderson
 
Default Gnome Manager Window Problems (keyboard and mouse)

I have setup numerous gnome desktops however one of my latest is having
serious mouse and keyboard problems.

Upon opening any window, namely Preferences and Properties Windows
(because that's all that is installed atm) I have one click. After the
one click, I am unable to click anything else. I have to ssh into the
machine and kill of the process then my clicking ability comes back.

During the time when I can not click, the mouse moves around just fine.
However, I have noticed the buttons and checkboxes that normally
highlight on a hover do not highlight.

In an attempt to log the problems I opened a few of the gnome properties
type windows from the command line. Doing so would not let me click the
window. For some reason any mouse clicks seem to go right through the
window to the terminal behind it, even though the window was on top.

Furthermore, I have had random keyboard loss as well when windows are
open. Sometimes I can tab between fields, other times I can not. I
have even noticed I could type any character except for an 's'. After
killing the open window remotely, my keyboard and mouse functionality
comes back.

I have checked time stamps on all the logs within /var/log and nothing
seems to update during my problems. Is there another place I can check?

Has anyone else experienced these problems, or noticed a forum post with
a potential fix of a similar problem?

Please note I have 2 of these 10.04 desktops setup with identical
hardware, identical installations, and the one is functioning without a
problem.

Thanks,
Tim H.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-08-2010, 11:47 AM
Yorvyk
 
Default Gnome Manager Window Problems (keyboard and mouse)

On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 22:27:49 -0400
Tim Henderson <bizdev@pwnspeak.com> wrote:

> I have setup numerous gnome desktops however one of my latest is having
> serious mouse and keyboard problems.
>
> Upon opening any window, namely Preferences and Properties Windows
> (because that's all that is installed atm) I have one click. After the
> one click, I am unable to click anything else. I have to ssh into the
> machine and kill of the process then my clicking ability comes back.
>
> During the time when I can not click, the mouse moves around just fine.
> However, I have noticed the buttons and checkboxes that normally
> highlight on a hover do not highlight.
>
> In an attempt to log the problems I opened a few of the gnome properties
> type windows from the command line. Doing so would not let me click the
> window. For some reason any mouse clicks seem to go right through the
> window to the terminal behind it, even though the window was on top.
>
> Furthermore, I have had random keyboard loss as well when windows are
> open. Sometimes I can tab between fields, other times I can not. I
> have even noticed I could type any character except for an 's'. After
> killing the open window remotely, my keyboard and mouse functionality
> comes back.
>
> I have checked time stamps on all the logs within /var/log and nothing
> seems to update during my problems. Is there another place I can check?
>
> Has anyone else experienced these problems, or noticed a forum post with
> a potential fix of a similar problem?
>
> Please note I have 2 of these 10.04 desktops setup with identical
> hardware, identical installations, and the one is functioning without a
> problem.
>
Swap the two drives over and see which way the problem goes.


--
Steve Cook (Yorvyk)

http://lubuntu.net

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Tim Henderson
 
Default Gnome Manager Window Problems (keyboard and mouse)

>>
> Swap the two drives over and see which way the problem goes.
>
>

Not an option. The machines's are in two different remote locations.

Tim H.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Tim Henderson
 
Default Gnome Manager Window Problems (keyboard and mouse)

> Swap the two drives over and see which way the problem goes.
>
>

Does anyone have any other ideas of where to start? This response is
not very constructive.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-08-2010, 08:11 PM
NoOp
 
Default Gnome Manager Window Problems (keyboard and mouse)

On 07/07/2010 07:27 PM, Tim Henderson wrote:
> I have setup numerous gnome desktops however one of my latest is having
> serious mouse and keyboard problems.
...
>
> Furthermore, I have had random keyboard loss as well when windows are
> open. Sometimes I can tab between fields, other times I can not. I
> have even noticed I could type any character except for an 's'. After
> killing the open window remotely, my keyboard and mouse functionality
> comes back.

When you say 'remotely', are you using VNC or similar to access the
other machine?

...
> Please note I have 2 of these 10.04 desktops setup with identical
> hardware, identical installations, and the one is functioning without a
> problem.
>
> Thanks,
> Tim H.
>



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Tim Henderson
 
Default Gnome Manager Window Problems (keyboard and mouse)

>
> When you say 'remotely', are you using VNC or similar to access the
> other machine?
>

Currently we are using the Remote Desktop Manager to manage the machine.
We do however have an admin in place at the console of the other
server/workstation/desktop. He experiences the same issues as us which
is the reason we remotely connected for testing.

For sake of locations one is in CA and the other in NY. Each were built
with identical specifications.

Tim H.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-08-2010, 08:28 PM
NoOp
 
Default Gnome Manager Window Problems (keyboard and mouse)

On 07/08/2010 01:19 PM, Tim Henderson wrote:
>>
>> When you say 'remotely', are you using VNC or similar to access the
>> other machine?
>>
>
> Currently we are using the Remote Desktop Manager to manage the machine.
> We do however have an admin in place at the console of the other
> server/workstation/desktop. He experiences the same issues as us which
> is the reason we remotely connected for testing.
>
> For sake of locations one is in CA and the other in NY. Each were built
> with identical specifications.
>
> Tim H.

That's what I thought...

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/353126
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/353126?comments=all>
[Compiz / vnc screen refresh with nvidia-restricted
driver/VirtualBox/ATI fglrx driver using X.org]

Long read, sorry. Temporarily turn off compiz at both sides are what
many recommend. However, I found that I can leave compiz on (in nearly
all situations) via gconf-editor:
/desktop/gnome/remote_access/disable_xdamage
if I run into similar.
===
If true, we will not use the XDamage extension of X.org. This extension
does not work properly on some video drivers when using 3D effects.
Disabling it will make vino work on these environments with a slower
rendering as side effect.
====



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-09-2010, 01:00 AM
Tim Henderson
 
Default Gnome Manager Window Problems (keyboard and mouse)

On 07/08/10 16:28, NoOp wrote:
> On 07/08/2010 01:19 PM, Tim Henderson wrote:
>>>
>>> When you say 'remotely', are you using VNC or similar to access the
>>> other machine?
>>>
>>
>> Currently we are using the Remote Desktop Manager to manage the machine.
>> We do however have an admin in place at the console of the other
>> server/workstation/desktop. He experiences the same issues as us which
>> is the reason we remotely connected for testing.
>>
>> For sake of locations one is in CA and the other in NY. Each were built
>> with identical specifications.
>>
>> Tim H.
>
> That's what I thought...
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/353126
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/353126?comments=all>
> [Compiz / vnc screen refresh with nvidia-restricted
> driver/VirtualBox/ATI fglrx driver using X.org]
>
> Long read, sorry. Temporarily turn off compiz at both sides are what
> many recommend. However, I found that I can leave compiz on (in nearly
> all situations) via gconf-editor:
> /desktop/gnome/remote_access/disable_xdamage
> if I run into similar.
> ===
> If true, we will not use the XDamage extension of X.org. This extension
> does not work properly on some video drivers when using 3D effects.
> Disabling it will make vino work on these environments with a slower
> rendering as side effect.
> ====
>

Disabling xdamage seem to have broken the vino-server, disallowing
access. Perhaps that setting is deprecated or removed in the latest?
Regardless we have built a new HDD for the server and we are going to
ship to hypothetical CA for more testing.

I'll be sure to post if we see any changes.

Thanks,
Tim H.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-09-2010, 01:25 AM
NoOp
 
Default Gnome Manager Window Problems (keyboard and mouse)

On 07/08/2010 06:00 PM, Tim Henderson wrote:
>
> On 07/08/10 16:28, NoOp wrote:
...
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/353126
>> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/353126?comments=all>
>> [Compiz / vnc screen refresh with nvidia-restricted
>> driver/VirtualBox/ATI fglrx driver using X.org]
>>
>> Long read, sorry. Temporarily turn off compiz at both sides are what
>> many recommend. However, I found that I can leave compiz on (in nearly
>> all situations) via gconf-editor:
>> /desktop/gnome/remote_access/disable_xdamage
>> if I run into similar.
>> ===
>> If true, we will not use the XDamage extension of X.org. This extension
>> does not work properly on some video drivers when using 3D effects.
>> Disabling it will make vino work on these environments with a slower
>> rendering as side effect.
>> ====
>>
>
> Disabling xdamage seem to have broken the vino-server, disallowing
> access. Perhaps that setting is deprecated or removed in the latest?
> Regardless we have built a new HDD for the server and we are going to
> ship to hypothetical CA for more testing.

Wait, server or desktop? Obviously you wouldn't be using RDV for a
server so I'll assume desktop. In any event, disabling xdamage
shouldn't/wouldn't have "broken the vino-server" disallowing access; you
can of course renable and logout/login to reset if needed. If disabling
xdamage isn't working, try turning off compiz on both ends (see the bug
report comments). Also, rather than using RDV, I'd recommend using the
'Terminal Server Client' instead. 'sudo apt-get install tsclient'.
You'll then find it in the same location: Applications|Internet|Terminal
Server Client.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-09-2010, 05:02 AM
Mark Widdicombe
 
Default Gnome Manager Window Problems (keyboard and mouse)

> <snip> machines's <snip>
>
> Tim H.

Machines please.

Disclaimer
http://www.shopriteholdings.co.za/pages/1019812640/disclaimer/E-mail-Disclaimer.asp


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:03 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org