-   -   File path conversions - Windows to Linux +GRAMPS (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/396264-file-path-conversions-windows-linux-gramps.html)

NoOp 07-08-2010 12:27 AM

File path conversions - Windows to Linux +GRAMPS

While I'm in the process of upgrading my brother's WinXP computer, I've
installed Gramps 3.2.3-1 so that he can compare/use. He currently uses
Rootsmagic, so I exported as a GED and imported into Gramps. All is well
on the Windows machine; all records came across (8758 people, 2145
unique surnames) and the graphics (many) are appearing fine.

I've exported the whole thing (including media) to a .gpkg (654.3MB) so
that I can use on my linux systems. All of the entries came across w/o
issues, but the problem is the media path/graphic naming conventions
that he used. An example:

<middlename_or_initial> Certificate of Birth.jpg

Some are even worse, and longer with added subfolders for individuals,
pound (#) signs, etc., but that's pretty much convention he's used. Made
sense to him so that he could easily look at the files in WinExplorer &
see exactly what the files pertain to. Unfortunately the spaces, commas,
periods, # signs et all are creating issues. My system reads them
properly, i.e.:

/home/<username>/<somename>_xml.gpkg.media/My Documents/My
<middleinitial>/<sirname>, <firstname> <middleinitial>. Certificate of
Birth.jpg

But I'd like to figure out a way to clean all those up to no spaces,
periods, commas, etc.

Any suggestions on how I can batch convert all of those to
path/filenames? Or am I doomed to having to go through each one
individually?

Jon Cosby 07-08-2010 03:49 AM

File path conversions - Windows to Linux +GRAMPS

periods, # signs et all are creating issues. My system reads them

properly, i.e.:

/home/<username>/<somename>_xml.gpkg.media/My Documents/My

<middleinitial>/<sirname>, <firstname> <middleinitial>. Certificate of

Birth.jpg

But I'd like to figure out a way to clean all those up to no spaces,

periods, commas, etc.

Any suggestions on how I can batch convert all of those to

path/filenames? Or am I doomed to having to go through each one

individually?

*I'm not sure about Bash, but this would be fairly easy in Python:

import os

SPACE = " "
COMMA = ","
PATH = "/path/to/files"

for filename in os.listdir(PATH) :
*** os.rename(filename, filename.replace(SPACE, "_").replace(COMMA, "_"))
*

This would replace all spaces and commas with underscores (_).

Jon

"Tim H." 07-08-2010 06:20 AM

On 07/07/2010 08:27 PM, NoOp wrote:
> While I'm in the process of upgrading my brother's WinXP computer, I've
> installed Gramps 3.2.3-1 so that he can compare/use. He currently uses
> Rootsmagic, so I exported as a GED and imported into Gramps. All is well
> on the Windows machine; all records came across (8758 people, 2145
> unique surnames) and the graphics (many) are appearing fine.
>
> I've exported the whole thing (including media) to a .gpkg (654.3MB) so
> that I can use on my linux systems. All of the entries came across w/o
> issues, but the problem is the media path/graphic naming conventions
> that he used. An example:

> <middlename_or_initial> Certificate of Birth.jpg
>
> Some are even worse, and longer with added subfolders for individuals,
> pound (#) signs, etc., but that's pretty much convention he's used. Made
> sense to him so that he could easily look at the files in WinExplorer&
> see exactly what the files pertain to. Unfortunately the spaces, commas,
> periods, # signs et all are creating issues. My system reads them
> properly, i.e.:
>
> /home/<username>/<somename>_xml.gpkg.media/My Documents/My
> <middleinitial>/<sirname>,<firstname> <middleinitial>. Certificate of
> Birth.jpg
>
> But I'd like to figure out a way to clean all those up to no spaces,
> periods, commas, etc.
>
> Any suggestions on how I can batch convert all of those to
> path/filenames? Or am I doomed to having to go through each one
> individually?

I use this script I found on the net sometime ago. Feel free to alter
the definition of NEWLINE to your liking:

## Code Below ######################################

#!/bin/bash

if [ -n "$1" ]
then
if [ -d "$1" ]
then
cd "$1"
else
echo invalid directory
exit
fi
fi

for i in *
do
OLDNAME="$i"
NEWNAME=`echo "$i" | tr ' ' '_' | tr A-Z a-z | tr ',' '_' | sed
s/_-_/-/g| sed s/__/_/g`
if [ "$NEWNAME" != "$OLDNAME" ]
then
TMPNAME="$i"_TMP
echo ""
mv -v -- "$OLDNAME" "$NEWNAME"
# mv -v -- "$TMPNAME" "$NEWNAME"
fi
if [ -d "$NEWNAME" ]
then
echo Recursing lowercase for directory "$NEWNAME"
$0 "$NEWNAME"
fi
done

### End Code #########################################

Tim H.

Markus Schönhaber 07-08-2010 07:06 AM

File path conversions - Windows to Linux +GRAMPS

08.07.2010 02:27, NoOp:

> /home/<username>/<somename>_xml.gpkg.media/My Documents/My
> <middleinitial>/<sirname>, <firstname> <middleinitial>. Certificate of
> Birth.jpg
>
> But I'd like to figure out a way to clean all those up to no spaces,
> periods, commas, etc.
>
> Any suggestions on how I can batch convert all of those to
> path/filenames? Or am I doomed to having to go through each one
> individually?

Take a look at rename(1). The version of rename Ubuntu installs by
default allows you to specify a Perl-style regular expression that will
be applied to the given file names, for example like
rename -n 's/( |,)//' *.jpg

-n tells rename only to show what it would do.

--
Regards
mks

Colin Law 07-08-2010 07:48 AM

On 8 July 2010 01:27, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> While I'm in the process of upgrading my brother's WinXP computer, I've
> installed Gramps 3.2.3-1 so that he can compare/use. He currently uses
> Rootsmagic, so I exported as a GED and imported into Gramps. All is well
> on the Windows machine; all records came across (8758 people, 2145
> unique surnames) and the graphics (many) are appearing fine.
>
> I've exported the whole thing (including media) to a .gpkg (654.3MB) so
> that I can use on my linux systems. All of the entries came across w/o
> issues, but the problem is the media path/graphic naming conventions
> that he used. An example:

> <middlename_or_initial> Certificate of Birth.jpg
>
> Some are even worse, and longer with added subfolders for individuals,
> pound (#) signs, etc., but that's pretty much convention he's used. Made
> sense to him so that he could easily look at the files in WinExplorer &
> see exactly what the files pertain to. Unfortunately the spaces, commas,
> periods, # signs et all are creating issues. My system reads them
> properly, i.e.:
>
> /home/<username>/<somename>_xml.gpkg.media/My Documents/My
> <middleinitial>/<sirname>, <firstname> <middleinitial>. Certificate of
> Birth.jpg
>
> But I'd like to figure out a way to clean all those up to no spaces,
> periods, commas, etc.
>
> Any suggestions on how I can batch convert all of those to
> path/filenames? Or am I doomed to having to go through each one
> individually?

Won't you have to modify the link to the file in the GED data as well
as renaming the file? Or perhaps I misunderstand what is going on.

Colin

NoOp 07-08-2010 07:46 PM

On 07/08/2010 12:48 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> Won't you have to modify the link to the file in the GED data as well
> as renaming the file? Or perhaps I misunderstand what is going on.
>
> Colin

Yes. But that is pretty easy in Gramps. The idea is to clean up the
entire structure, then export back to a new GED.

Thanks to all the suggestions (Jon, Tim, Markus); I'll give those a try
& report back. Thankfully I've multiple copies on multiple machines, so
if I screw one up in the process I've plenty of backups.