Old 07-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Robert Steinmetz AIA

Default 8.04 -> 10.04 /dev/md0 not created in intiramfs

Title: Signature

After an upgrade from 8.04 -> 10.04 my system is unable to boot.
After a lot of work it seems that the blocking problem is that /dev/md0
is not being created in initramfs so the volume group containing the /
file system is not being activated and therefore the boot fails at that
point.

In /sbin both mdadm and lmv exist and the arrays and volume groups can
be created manually using them. The system can then complete booting.
Updating initramfs after booting has no apparent effect.

Based on posts I have found I have tried adding raid=noautodetect and
rootdelay=240 to the GRUB kernel command line separately and together
with no effect, except delaying the boot.

It seems that udev is not running correctly so I began digging through
the udev rules but don't really understand how it actually works.

In /lib/udev/rules I found;

85_mdadm.rules

85_lmv2.rules

If I were guessing (and I am) I would expect 85_lvm2 to be run before
85_mdadm, which is the wrong order. I also found 56_lvm.rules which
doesn't seem to do anything.

I would appreciate pointers of testing these rules to see what the
problem is. It seems all of the pieces are there for this to wok
correctly but there is something missing.

How can I run or test a single rule? Which udevadm options test these
rules, so far I don't see udevadm test offering any help.

--

Robert
Steinmetz,

Principal

Steinmetz & Associates

Old 07-08-2010, 05:01 AM
Christopher Chan

> In /lib/udev/rules I found;
>
> 85_mdadm.rules
> 85_lmv2.rules
>
> If I were guessing (and I am) I would expect 85_lvm2 to be run before
> 85_mdadm, which is the wrong order. I also found 56_lvm.rules which
> doesn't seem to do anything.

mdadm should run before lvm. lvm can run on md devices and so lvm can
have a dependency on mdadm

Old 07-08-2010, 06:33 AM
Robert Steinmetz

I'm aware of that. Does this configuration* mean that mdadm is running
before lvm and if so how do I correct it?

Old 07-08-2010, 07:34 AM
Christopher Chan

On Thursday, July 08, 2010 02:33 PM, Robert Steinmetz wrote:
> I'm aware of that. Does this configuration mean that mdadm is running
> before lvm and if so how do I correct it?

Oh, sorry, read your post wrong. I would have thought the lower number
gets priority but then i do not know udev all that well. Actually, I
doubt that udev is the problem given that it has been running from at
least Hardy to Lucid...

Does your initrd image at all package the md and lvm modules?

Old 07-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Robert Steinmetz AIA