FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-07-2010, 05:24 PM
idleone
 
Default Internet Connection Sharing on Lucid (10.04)

Hello Clint, this is taken directly from our IRC bot.

"If you want to share the internet connection of your ubuntu machine
with other machines in the network see
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InternetConnectionSharing - You may
also use !firestarter:
http://www.fs-security.com/docs/connection-sharing.php "

hope it helps.

IdleOne

On Wed, 2010-07-07 at 12:53 -0400, clintin@linuxmail.org wrote:
> Anybody tried network connection sharing (Share to Other Computers)
> for Eth0 when using a wireless connection using Network Manager? This
> is fresh install of Lucid where I have installed (activated) the
> Broadcom STA drivers and the wireless works great. When I enable
> "Share to Other Computers" the Eth0 port bounces between connected and
> disconnected while connected to the other computer with a crossover
> cable. One thing I observed is that the Network Manager sets up the
> wireless connection as Eth1 rather than wlan0. I have another system
> where I used Network Manager to "share to other computers", (not
> Debian based) and the wireless is set as Wlan0 and the shared Ethernet
> wired connection is at 10.x.x.x when I look at it with ifconfig.
> Anybody have any thoughts on this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Clint
>
>
>


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-07-2010, 08:30 PM
 
Default Internet Connection Sharing on Lucid (10.04)

> "If you want to share the internet connection of your ubuntu machine with other machines in the network see




> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InternetConnectionSharing - You may also use !firestarter:


> http://www.fs-security.com/docs/connection-sharing.php "



> hope it helps.



I was basically trying to use the Network Manager GUI as described in the first section of the help.ubuntu.com document. It doesn't work for me. I have performed the same steps on another system, non-Ubunut/Debia, and it worked flawlessly. Really don't want to go through all the CLI stuff to make this work when it is suppose to be a simple "Share to Other Computers" setting for Eth0.




I am going to try this on another computer later on this evening (in a few hours) to see if the problem is unique to this system or consistent with Lucid 10.04.




Thanks for the reply.



Clint





On Wed, 2010-07-07 at 12:53 -0400, clintin@linuxmail.org wrote:


> Anybody tried network connection sharing (Share to Other Computers)


> for Eth0 when using a wireless connection using Network Manager? This


> is fresh install of Lucid where I have installed (activated) the


> Broadcom STA drivers and the wireless works great. When I enable


> "Share to Other Computers" the Eth0 port bounces between connected and


> disconnected while connected to the other computer with a crossover


> cable. One thing I observed is that the Network Manager sets up the


> wireless connection as Eth1 rather than wlan0. I have another system


> where I used Network Manager to "share to other computers", (not


> Debian based) and the wireless is set as Wlan0 and the shared Ethernet


> wired connection is at 10.x.x.x when I look at it with ifconfig.


> Anybody have any thoughts on this?


>


> Thanks,


>


> Clint


>


>


>








--


ubuntu-users mailing list


ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com


Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users










--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-08-2010, 01:03 PM
 
Default Internet Connection Sharing on Lucid (10.04)

On Wed, 2010-07-07 at 12:53 -0400, clintin@linuxmail.org wrote:



> > > Anybody tried network connection sharing (Share to Other Computers)

> > > for Eth0 when using a wireless connection using Network Manager? This

> > > is fresh install of Lucid where I have installed (activated) the

> > > Broadcom STA drivers and the wireless works great. When I enable

> > > "Share to Other Computers" the Eth0 port bounces between connected and

> > > disconnected while connected to the other computer with a crossover

> > > cable. One thing I observed is that the Network Manager sets up the

> > > wireless connection as eth1 rather than wlan0. I have another system

> > > where I used Network Manager to "share to other computers", (not

> > > Debian based) and the wireless is set as Wlan0 and the shared Ethernet

> > > wired connection is at 10.x.x.x when I look at it with ifconfig.


> > "If you want to share the internet connection of your ubuntu machine with other machines in the network see

> > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InternetConnectionSharing - You may also use !firestarter:

*> > http://www.fs-security.com/docs/connection-sharing.php "

> > hope it helps.





> I was basically trying to use the Network Manager GUI as described in the first section of the

> help.ubuntu.com document. It doesn't work for me. I have performed the same steps on another

> system, non-Ubunut/Debia, and it worked flawlessly. Really don't want to go through all the CLI

> stuff to make this work when it is suppose to be a simple "Share to Other Computers" setting for

> Auto eth0.


> I am going to try this on another computer later on this evening (in a few hours) to see if the

> problem is unique to this system or consistent with Lucid 10.04.



This is still a work in progress and I need some help. Is this a problem with Lucid? I checked

the wired ethernet port last night because I thought it might be having problems but it is good

and this is a dualboot system, everything works in WindowsXP. I have tried ICS (network sharing)

in WindowsXP and it doesn't work very well. ICS on Linux is very stable and fast, when it works.


TIA,



Clint








--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:20 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org