Old 07-07-2010, 04:06 AM
Alex Schuster

Default Big autofs trouble

Hi there!

One of our hosts sometimes has trouble with autofs. It happened in the
past, then the problem was suddenly gone, but now, after a reboot, it
appeared again.

ls /home/ shows many home directories, but not mine. And non of them is
accessible: No such file or directory.

Whenever I try to access a home directory, I get this message in syslog:
svc: failed to register lockdv1 RPC service (errno 13).
Google does nto find much about this.

Other observations: The nfs-kernel-server does not start. NIS is running,
but restarting the nis service fails. When I then restart autofs, even a
'ls' in a local directory hangs, and gives the output only after a few
minutes. route also becomes slow then, and takes long until showing the
default route. SSH logins no longer work then. And /home is deleted. It
was empty anyway, populated by autofs stuf fonly, but now even the
directory itself is gone.

Any idea what that might be? I have none at all. Any help on this is much
appreciated.

There are three other systems in the LAN, one being exactly the same
hardware, they are clones of the machine with differences only in network
setup. And they are not affected. These systems are running Ubuntu 9.10
server.

/etc/auto.master has '/home yp:auto.home' as only entry.

Wonko

Old 07-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Alex Schuster

Me again.

It is working now, but I don't know why. I restarted nis and autofs, and
again things started getting weird, SSH login became impossible, ls hung.
I rebooted again, and forced a fsck at boot, and all of a sudden all is
working as it should.

Is this just luck? Was the fsck necessary? I already had this problem some
months ago, on the same machine, right after Ubuntu had been installed.
And suddenly the problem just went away. These machines stay up all the
time, so there were not many reboots until now, and as long as there is no
reboot, they run stable.

I sure would like to know what this is, but at least the system is working
again. Next time it happens, I will keep just rebooting it until it is
working again...

Wonko