Old 07-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Barry Premeaux

Default USB Not Automounting in 10.04

32 bit Ubuntu 10.04 kernel 2.6.32-23.

This is what I have found for the -22 and -23 kernels.

If I have already booted up, it doesn't matter what usb device I plug
in. It will show up on lsusb. In dmesg, it acknowledges that
something has been plugged in, but goes no further. In -21, it is not
only seen in lsusb, but dmesg shows it as there and the proper driver
is loaded.

If I plug the device in prior to boot up, it is recognized during the
boot up process on the -22 and -23 kernels. My usb mouse is
recognized and the usb flash drive is loaded and listed under places.

It appears that the usb hot-plug function is not working in the latest
two kernel versions.

Barry

Old 07-06-2010, 08:00 PM
NoOp

On 07/06/2010 09:37 AM, Barry Premeaux wrote:
> 32 bit Ubuntu 10.04 kernel 2.6.32-23.
>
> This is what I have found for the -22 and -23 kernels.
>
> If I have already booted up, it doesn't matter what usb device I plug
> in. It will show up on lsusb. In dmesg, it acknowledges that
> something has been plugged in, but goes no further. In -21, it is not
> only seen in lsusb, but dmesg shows it as there and the proper driver
> is loaded.
>
> If I plug the device in prior to boot up, it is recognized during the
> boot up process on the -22 and -23 kernels. My usb mouse is
> recognized and the usb flash drive is loaded and listed under places.
>
> It appears that the usb hot-plug function is not working in the latest
> two kernel versions.
>
> Barry

Perhaps it's this bug:
[USB devices not detected when hotplugged]

Old 07-06-2010, 08:23 PM
Barry Premeaux

> Perhaps it's this bug:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/564459
> [USB devices not detected when hotplugged]

It certainly looks like it. It appears to be related to dropping HAL
and moving totally to udev in 10.04. The udev rules have to be
written to correctly reference the system and the device. Definitely
not my area of expertise. Reading through the udev rules manual told
me enough to know that I don't know how to write them.

Hopefully a patch will be written to correct this. In the mean time,
I seem to have two options. Either boot up in -21 or plug my devices
in prior to booting up.

Barry

Old 07-06-2010, 08:28 PM
Colin Law

On 6 July 2010 21:23, Barry Premeaux <bpremeaux@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Perhaps it's this bug:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/564459
>> [USB devices not detected when hotplugged]
>>

> It certainly looks like it. *It appears to be related to dropping HAL
> and moving totally to udev in 10.04. *The udev rules have to be
> written to correctly reference the system and the device. *Definitely
> not my area of expertise. *Reading through the udev rules manual told
> me enough to know that I don't know how to write them.
>
> Hopefully a patch will be written to correct this. *In the mean time,
> I seem to have two options. *Either boot up in -21 or plug my devices
> in prior to booting up.

Do the workarounds in the bug report not work for you?

Colin

Old 07-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Barry Premeaux

> Do the workarounds in the bug report not work for you?

Just tried adding usb-storage and usbhid to the etc/modules file and
that has corrected the problem for me. My original file only had the
lp module listed.

I appreciate the help (and the education).

Barry

Old 07-06-2010, 10:23 PM
NoOp

On 07/06/2010 01:43 PM, Barry Premeaux wrote:
>> Do the workarounds in the bug report not work for you?
>>

> Just tried adding usb-storage and usbhid to the etc/modules file and
> that has corrected the problem for me. My original file only had the
> lp module listed.
>
> I appreciate the help (and the education).
>
> Barry

On -23 or -24 (which I've just loaded on another machine from the
proposed repositories) I do not have the issue, at least when I plug in
a USB memory stick, or other USB device. So perhaps there is something
else that that was missing? I'll have a look at the bug report and see
if perhaps I can spot the differences.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:38 PM
Barry Premeaux

I suspect you will find your /etc/modules has all the necessary items.

I did an upgrade on this machine rather than a new install. I wonder
if the -21 kernel was hanging on to the HAL settings from 9.10. HAL
is still installed. With the kernel updates to -22 and -23, I am
assuming modules didn't get updated.

Barry

Old 07-06-2010, 10:53 PM
NoOp

On 07/06/2010 03:38 PM, Barry Premeaux wrote:
> I suspect you will find your /etc/modules has all the necessary items.

No, that's not it:

> $ cat /etc/modules
> # /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
> #
> # This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
> # at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.
>
> lp
> vboxdrv
> # Forcing these to load in this order (they are blacklisted in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist)
> ehci-hcd
> uhci-hcd
>
> # Generated by sensors-detect on Mon Nov 10 09:41:43 2008
> # I2C adapter drivers
> i2c-i801
> # Chip drivers
> lm85
> # no driver for Nat. Semi. PC87372 Super IO Fan Sensors yet

> I did an upgrade on this machine rather than a new install. I wonder
> if the -21 kernel was hanging on to the HAL settings from 9.10. HAL
> is still installed. With the kernel updates to -22 and -23, I am
> assuming modules didn't get updated.

This machine has been upgraded from Dapper through Lucid. Checked on
another test machine w/clean 10.04 install & that works as well. I
wonder if it might be a permissions issue; on both this user has
everything possible clicked under 'User Privileges'.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:33 AM
Barry Premeaux

> This machine has been upgraded from Dapper through Lucid. Checked on
> another test machine w/clean 10.04 install & that works as well. I
> wonder if it might be a permissions issue; on both this user has
> everything possible clicked under 'User Privileges'.

Everything is checked under User Privileges with the exception of
Mount user-space filesystems (FUSE). And the only thing I had in
/etc/modules was lp. After adding usb-storage and subhid, I am up and
running again. I can only speculate why it worked when booting back
to the -21 kernel and would not work when trying the -22 and -23
kernels. The prior configuration in modules would have been the same
for all three kernels. HAL vs udev is the only thing I can think of.

Barry