-   -   Firefox internet access detection (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/395515-firefox-internet-access-detection.html)

Dave Howorth 07-06-2010 12:35 PM

R Kimber wrote:
> Bearing in mind that my PC is continually accessing the internet (news,
> mail, ntp, boinc, etc), is there a simple app that, when I load a *local*
> web page in my browser, would tell me if that page is accessing the internet
> and what site it is accessing? I.e. I need to be able to distinguish
> between what the browser (Firefox) is doing and what everything else is
> doing. I suppose a Firefox add-on would be the answer, but I don't know of
> one. Any suggestions?

firebug will show you what requests are being made, among many other things.

Cheers, Dave

Markus Schönhaber 07-06-2010 01:39 PM

Firefox internet access detection

06.07.2010 13:59, R Kimber:
> Bearing in mind that my PC is continually accessing the internet (news,
> mail, ntp, boinc, etc), is there a simple app that, when I load a *local*
> web page in my browser, would tell me if that page is accessing the internet
> and what site it is accessing? I.e. I need to be able to distinguish
> between what the browser (Firefox) is doing and what everything else is
> doing. I suppose a Firefox add-on would be the answer, but I don't know of
> one. Any suggestions?

Live HTTP Headers, for example:
https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/3829/

--
Regards
mks

R Kimber 07-06-2010 03:05 PM

Firefox internet access detection

On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 13:35:36 +0100
Dave Howorth wrote:

> R Kimber wrote:
> > Bearing in mind that my PC is continually accessing the internet (news,
> > mail, ntp, boinc, etc), is there a simple app that, when I load a
> > *local* web page in my browser, would tell me if that page is accessing
> > the internet and what site it is accessing? I.e. I need to be able to
> > distinguish between what the browser (Firefox) is doing and what
> > everything else is doing. I suppose a Firefox add-on would be the
> > answer, but I don't know of one. Any suggestions?
>
> firebug will show you what requests are being made, among many other
> things.

Thanks. I have tried firebug before, but (unless I've not learnt to use it
correctly) it shows all requests. Is there a way of filtering out requests
to the local server, so that I can see more clearly (and quickly) what
external requests are being made?

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources

R Kimber 07-06-2010 03:24 PM

Firefox internet access detection

On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 15:39:35 +0200
Markus Schönhaber wrote:

> Live HTTP Headers, for example:
> https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/3829/

Thanks. That looks useful - if I can construct the right regex to exclude
the local files.

- Richard.