Old 07-06-2010, 05:08 AM
Barry Premeaux

Default USB not automounting in 10.04

I've googled for this problem and went through the forums. I've tried
the references to modprobe -r floppy and doing the blacklist floppy.
But neither has worked. Checked the settings for Nautilus and the
automount boxes are already checked.

Has anyone come up with a solution for this problem?

Barry

Old 07-06-2010, 05:27 AM
Basil Chupin

On 06/07/10 15:08, Barry Premeaux wrote:
> I've googled for this problem and went through the forums. I've tried
> the references to modprobe -r floppy and doing the blacklist floppy.
> But neither has worked. Checked the settings for Nautilus and the
> automount boxes are already checked.
>
> Has anyone come up with a solution for this problem?
>
> Barry

A USB what? Flash memory stick, an external USB hard drive?

Does it happen with all USB connections or only with this particular device?

If it is flash memory stick, is it in Windows format (eg, fat32) and was
it used prior on Windows and wasn't properly closed before it was
disconnected from the Windows OS? If this latter is the case, put it
back on the Windows OS and close it properly - and it will then be
recognised by 10.04,

(In fact, last question :-) , is the flash stick - if it is a flash
stick - formatted? An unformatted stick will not be recognised.)

BC

Old 07-06-2010, 05:51 AM
Barry Premeaux

It is a 4GB USB flash drive that I have been using just fine up until
recent updates. It works fine on my desktop which still has 9.10. I
have been using it to move files between my desktop and the laptop.

I just checked my USB mouse and card reader. Neither of these are
working as well. When I had 9.10 on the laptop, all three had been
working.

The updates I did this evening included the 2.6.32-23 kernel.

Looking at device manager, these devices are showing up on the USB bus.

Barry

Old 07-06-2010, 06:56 AM
Barry Premeaux

Since this was working prior to the recent kernel upgrade, how can I
back up to the previous kernel? Can I simply rename the vmlinuz and
vmlinuz.old, along with the associated initrd.img files? I've been
googling for the correct procedure to return to a previous kernel
under Grub2 and Ubuntu 10.04. But, I've not had any success yet.

Barry

Old 07-06-2010, 07:14 AM
Karl Auer

On Mon, 2010-07-05 at 23:56 -0700, Barry Premeaux wrote:
> Since this was working prior to the recent kernel upgrade, how can I
> back up to the previous kernel? Can I simply rename the vmlinuz and
> vmlinuz.old, along with the associated initrd.img files? I've been
> googling for the correct procedure to return to a previous kernel
> under Grub2 and Ubuntu 10.04. But, I've not had any success yet.

Reboot; when GRUB first appears, hit ESCAPE. Be quick - you only have a
second or two. You should now be able to select the previous kernel from
a list and boot that instead.

If booting from the previous kernel makes the problem go away, then your
theory that the kernel upgrade broke things is probably correct.

The remainder of this email is untested, 'cos I don't run 10.04.

You can tell grub to boot from the earlier version automatically: Edit
the grub menu configuration and make that entry your default (e.g., boot
entry number "1" instead of entry number "0").

With 9.04, it was a simple case of editing a text file
(/boot/grub/menu.lst) but I do not know if 10.04 is the same. Perhaps it
would be wise to wait for confirmation from someone more knowledgeable.

If you do edit the grub menu and a subsequent upgrade installs an even
later kernel (and the new kernel still has the problem), you may have to
do the edit again - not sure.

Regards, K.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:41 AM
Barry Premeaux

> Reboot; when GRUB first appears, hit ESCAPE. Be quick - you only have a
> second or two. You should now be able to select the previous kernel from
> a list and boot that instead.

10.04 is using Grub2. If you hold the Shift key during boot up, it
gives you access to the previous 2 kernel versions. My current is
.23. I tried .22 and I still have the same problem. When I tried
.21, I get some 'unable to mount' error messages that flash by. I
would have to reboot to try and catch all that it said. But, after it
completed rebooting, and log in, I was able to mount my USB flash
drive again.

There were some other error messages that flashed by during boot up,
There have been some obvious configuration changes during the two
updates. Backing up to .21 could be a problem. Currently, it appears
that I only have to when I need access to usb devices. I have been
going through the Grub2 documentation and have yet to find any
information on reverting back to prior kernels. In the mean time, I
guess I'll have to pass on any future updates to the kernel. At least
until this issue is resolved.

Barry

Old 07-06-2010, 07:48 AM
Basil Chupin

On 06/07/10 15:51, Barry Premeaux wrote:
> It is a 4GB USB flash drive that I have been using just fine up until
> recent updates. It works fine on my desktop which still has 9.10. I
> have been using it to move files between my desktop and the laptop.
>
> I just checked my USB mouse and card reader. Neither of these are
> working as well. When I had 9.10 on the laptop, all three had been
> working.
>
> The updates I did this evening included the 2.6.32-23 kernel.
>
> Looking at device manager, these devices are showing up on the USB bus.
>
> Barry

Interesting.

Firstly, are we talking about a 32-bit or a 64-bit systems - and on
which device: the laptop or the desktop?

Secondly, the latest kernel is the one you mention above (at least for
the 32-bit version) and has no known (to me) problems re this having
been reported - I certainly don't have any such problems on my DESKTOP
(of my own creation, and not something off the shelf).

Thirdly, have you looked here (which is always the first place to go
looking): https://launchpad.net/ ? Most questions are answered here.

Please let us all know when your problem is solved and what the solution
was.

(Lastly, do you have Permission to access this device in
10.04?....grabbing at straws...)

BC

Old 07-06-2010, 08:14 AM
Barry Premeaux

> Interesting.
>
> Firstly, are we talking about a 32-bit or a 64-bit systems - and on
> which device: the laptop or the desktop?

It is an old Asus 64 bit laptop with only 1GB of RAM. I have been
running the 32 bit versions on it, primarily because of the earlier
issues with browser plug-ins for 64 bit. Those have been resolved,
but since I only had 1 GB of RAM, I didn't see any real need to
change.

My desktop machine is a faster 64 bit machine with 4GB of RAM. I
tried making the transition to 64 bit, but had some issues with a java
based personal finance application that didn't want to run. So, I
went back to the 32 bit version on it as well. Currently, it is still
running 9.10, and has been doing quite well with it.

> Thirdly, have you looked here (which is always the first place to go
> looking): https://launchpad.net/ ? Most questions are answered here.

Just looked at the site. Did a search for this issue under bug
listings, but didn't come up with anything. Will need to spend some
time with various phrasing in the search.

> (Lastly, do you have Permission to access this device in
> 10.04?....grabbing at straws...)

Under the .21 kernel, I have no problems accessing the device. Under
.22 and .23, the device shows up in the USB listings, but never pops
up with the automount. I don't know how to sudo the mount of the
device from the command line to see if it is a permission issue.

I suppose I could mount it in .21 and write down the path information.
Then I could reboot and try sudo mount (path) to see if it works.

But, it is after 1 am, and I am headed to bed. I may give it a shot
later today to see if it works.

Barry

Old 07-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Karl Larsen

On 07/06/2010 12:56 AM, Barry Premeaux wrote:
> Since this was working prior to the recent kernel upgrade, how can I
> back up to the previous kernel? Can I simply rename the vmlinuz and
> vmlinuz.old, along with the associated initrd.img files? I've been
> googling for the correct procedure to return to a previous kernel
> under Grub2 and Ubuntu 10.04. But, I've not had any success yet.
>
> Barry

Reboot and then select to boot up in an earlier Kernel. If that
fixes the problem then good. I just checked and my USB is automounting
on my 10.04 is working fine with the latest kernel.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 07-06-2010, 03:17 PM
Barry Premeaux

> * * * * Reboot and then select to boot up in an earlier Kernel. If that
> fixes the problem then good. I just checked and my USB is automounting
> on my 10.04 is working fine with the latest kernel.

Karl,

Are you using 64bit version or the 32bit version? If the 64bit is
working, I think I will try moving to it on the laptop and work out
the issues with my java app that didn't want to run.

Barry